You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

Just spoke to my brother who i’m supposed to be seeing tomorrow for a game of golf. He’s got symptoms so going for a test now, seems like it’s spreading like mad now.

It seems to me if you go out, you'll either get it or get contact traced very quickly, it's absolutely everywhere. 

34 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

AZ not being used on the under thirties is hitting us hard and supplies of the others are sparodic.

The EU now have enough physical vaccine to do 70% of the population(s) now, so they are really ramping up.

It took them a while to get out of the blocks, but they're getting there now very quickly.

Also, they exported a lot outside the bloc.

You don't hear of people not being able to go for a jab though do you? Or at least I've not heard about that. Maybe @Brownie point that the youngsters don't want it is a thought? 

It'll be interesting to see what happens with these booster jabs because initially they were claiming you'd get one you hadn't had before. We've vaccined so much of the over 50s with AZ, it would see we'll really need one of the others for that phase too. 

It seems incredible how well we were doing at Easter that things could be going so badly now and they're looking like they're going to fuck it up. It seemed almost impossible for this to happen. 

58 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Massive assumption on my part because I haven’t seen any data but the younger age groups aren’t arsed about being vaccinated?

Just 100,000 first doses are currently being dished out every day, half the rate seen a fortnight ago and a far cry from the 500,000 in March.

Scientists have said that on top of supply and regulatory issues, younger people are more difficult to convince to come for a vaccine. Around 2million 18-24 year olds are still unvaccinated despite being made eligible in mid-June

NHS vaccination data shows 60 per cent of 25 to 29-year-olds had got their first dose by June 27, while among 30 to 34-year-olds it was 73 per cent.

For comparison, 94 per cent of over-80s now have their first dose, and for 75 to 79-year-olds the rate is 90 per cent.

Professor Ian Jones, a virologist at Reading University, said younger people were failing to turn up for jab appointments because they do not feel at risk from the virus.

'If the risk is low, as it is for younger ages, then the incentive is less, and less effort is made to go and get vaccinated, however easy that is.

45185967-9773743-This_graph_shows_the_pe

This graph shows the percentage of Britons in each age group who have received a first dose (green bar) and second dose (orange bar). 

'It is also a fact that 100 per cent vaccination cannot be reached as there will always be some groups who purposefully chose not to get vaccinated or are simply indifferent to it.

'That means there will be a tailing off in vaccination take-up and you are possibly seeing the start of that now.'

Professor Jones called on everyone to make sure they get two doses of the vaccine.

Think there's plenty of vaccine around, I've had texts this weekend and last saying they're doing walk ins in various places including sefton park. Was toying with gettung my second jab rather than waiting two weeks when it's due so I'm full shields up when they lift restrictions.

The cases to hospitalisation/deaths ratios surely prove the vaccine is doing a very fucking good job. Last year people wanted herd immunity when hundreds were dying a day and we had no vaccine. Horrible evil head-cases.

I can't see deaths rising enough for another full lockdown (thank fuck) after the 19th but they are easing things too quickly for my liking. "freedom day" wankers 

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Think there's plenty of vaccine around, I've had texts this weekend and last saying they're doing walk ins in various places including sefton park. Was toying with gettung my second jab rather than waiting two weeks when it's due so I'm full shields up when they lift restrictions.

Yes there is.  I spoke to somone at a vaccine centre the other day and She said you can just walk in and get Pfizer without an appointment.  Clearly we're nearly at the limit of uptake.

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Apparently, local residents in Oxford are being asked to avoid leaving the city and surrounding area of it's not necessary due to the increasingly high case numbers there

All this is before We Can't Be Arsed Anymore Day on the 19th.

I reckon we'll get to about the 22nd/23rd before there's a backtracking. 

Thing is though, cases were always going to go up if we weren't in lockdown, the acid test is whether the jabs can keep cases away from hospitals.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/19433972.people-advised-not-leave-oxford-becomes-covid-hotspot/

PEOPLE living in Oxford are being advised not to travel to stop the spread of Covid-19 as cases in the city have now reached their highest levels since the start of the pandemic.

The city has now been declared an 'enhanced response area', like Birmingham and Greater Manchester, and will be given rapid additional support by the Government including increased testing and help to maximise vaccine uptake to tackle the 'unprecedented' number of cases.

While there is no ban on travel - and those with plans to travel are not being told to cancel their arrangements - people are being asked to be cautious about non-essential travel in and out of the city to help stop the spread of the virus.

But yeah, 'freedom day'

6 minutes ago, Poster said:

While there is no ban on travel - and those with plans to travel are not being told to cancel their arrangements - people are being asked to be cautious about non-essential travel in and out of the city to help stop the spread of the virus.

This will definitely stop the virus.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with these booster jabs because initially they were claiming you'd get one you hadn't had before. We've vaccined so much of the over 50s with AZ, it would see we'll really need one of the others for that phase too. 

They placed another order for 60m more Pfizer vaccines a few months ago, so I assume that is being earmarked for the booster jabs in the autumn, as well as to complete the vaccines in the under 30’s.

I thought this was pretty telling from that Times article Rapey posted as well:

Officials working on the vaccine booster programme — adults aged over 50 and anyone who usually requires a flu jab are likely to be given a third dose in the autumn — have started discussing a new phrase: “vaccine fatigue”.

Whereas vaccine hesitancy has been a problem among groups reluctant to trust the authorities’ medical advice, fatigue is seen as a possibility among those who will be frustrated to learn that their first two doses were not enough. Some expect diminishing uptake with each booster programme. “Realistically we are going to be doing this every year for a long time, but I’m not sure people grasp that,” one person involved said.

I also saw this on The Guardian earlier which I thought was quite telling. I strongly suspect that the economy will not bounce back in the way they hope. I think a lot of people are going to be cautious for a good while yet, and it will take a long time for consumer confidence to get back to anywhere near pre-pandemic levels.

Two Whitehall sources told the Guardian that ministers had been spooked by internal polling. One said the data showed just 10% of the public support the policy of scrapping all restrictions at once, while another said substantially more people believed the government was moving too quickly than at the last reopening step on 17 May. These accounts were denied by No 10.

28 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I had a text yesterday to say that my appointment had been cancelled and I needed to rebook. I went on the website and rebooked it for 4 weeks earlier than my previous date.

Anybody else had this?

This has happened to quite a few people I think.

Is the UK the only country in Europe that is using the 10/11 week gap? 

On 08/07/2021 at 18:07, cochyn said:

Good article here on potential Wuhan lab leak, and the US complicity in wanting to smother any substantive investigation:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/06/the-lab-leak-theory-inside-the-fight-to-uncover-covid-19s-origins

Tl:dr: America paid China’s Wuhan labs  to conduct research into effectively weaponising SARS. What could possibly go wrong…?

Reading that I’d have to concur that it does point to a lab leak, albeit not a deliberate one.

It does appear that in the local ecosystem in the mine in Yunnan at least one type of SARS (that shares a structure with Covid if I’m reading that right) is naturally capable of jumping from bat directly to human, but obviously in a very localised and containable area.

Then along come the scientists to take samples back to the lab. The funding from the US, via the NGO, clearly has laudable aims, but really should have been on the back of a thorough check that the lab was secure. 

It does open the debate (for another thread) of the argument between testing for prevention and reaction/cure. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Vincent Vega said:

They placed another order for 60m more Pfizer vaccines a few months ago, so I assume that is being earmarked for the booster jabs in the autumn, as well as to complete the vaccines in the under 30’s.

I thought this was pretty telling from that Times article Rapey posted as well:

Officials working on the vaccine booster programme — adults aged over 50 and anyone who usually requires a flu jab are likely to be given a third dose in the autumn — have started discussing a new phrase: “vaccine fatigue”.

Whereas vaccine hesitancy has been a problem among groups reluctant to trust the authorities’ medical advice, fatigue is seen as a possibility among those who will be frustrated to learn that their first two doses were not enough. Some expect diminishing uptake with each booster programme. “Realistically we are going to be doing this every year for a long time, but I’m not sure people grasp that,” one person involved said.

Yeah, I can imagine there'll be vaccine fatigue. I'm on the flu cycle yearly and cant see a downside to going, but I know plenty of people who can't be fucked with it all. It seems they're going to give you the covid one at the same time as the flu one (good luck immune system), but it's not even a question of people having "fatigue" like lots of things with medicine, loads.of people just think "I'll be alright, it won't happen to me"

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

What the fuck is going on with our roll out? Have they run out of vaccines or people who want it? We're only averaging about 100k doses per day now. We were doing 5 times that before Easter. 

We are at 87% first jabs and 65% both jabs. On the basis that we are only going to get to a maximum of 90%, we are nearly done now.  I would guess that there will be a bit of a lull now because of 8 to 12 week gap from first to second jab?

It would probably be sensible to start rolling out the booster jabs to the older people that had both jabs in the December to February period now? 

11 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

We are at 87% first jabs and 65% both jabs. On the basis that we are only going to get to a maximum of 90%, we are nearly done now.  I would guess that there will be a bit of a lull now because of 8 to 12 week gap from first to second jab?

It would probably be sensible to start rolling out the booster jabs to the older people that had both jabs in the December to February period now? 

Not when you factor in the U18's.

That's a real slight of hand the government are playing.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Maybe the jabs don't last too long so they need to hold them back till we're into the autumn in order to make sure they last through the winter? Or because they want to tie it in with flu, this year's flu vaccine is maybe not ready yet?

Is it available now to everyone over 16? I hadn't thought they'd opened it to the final groups - just from a bit I heard on the news where they said something like "everyone will have been offered one jab by 17th July" or something. Which made me think not everyone has been offered one now. 

You might be right about the 8-12 weeks lag slowing it down. Why are they insisting on that? Don't Pfizer (which I assume most U30s have) only recommend 3 weeks between jabs? It feels to me if the desire was there we could be getting out more than 100k doses per day.