Bjornebye

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

You think that policy would have been realistic...if Australia and Indonesia were overun like Western Europe was, that NZ wouldn't fare the same?

Realistic? Certainly them being an island helps but irrespective of what was happening in Australia and Indonesia, NZ could and would have always closed it's own borders. 

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

So the whole "we're an island, it should be easy to close up shop" theory is untrue?

The suggestion was that NZ was somehow safe because it's so much further from the origin of the pandemic than the UK.  Obviously, both countries are island nations; one chose to control its borders, the other chose not to.  Policy decisions, you see.

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Do you really think that the deaths in China are not underreported?

Or that they have been cooperative/transparent about the beginning/cause of this global crisis?

They may well be underreported.  I don't think any serious people claim that the actual figure is in the millions  (as it would have to be to compare to the UK's disastrous fuck up).

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

You think that policy would have been realistic if NZ was situated between Belgium and Netherlands? Or if Australia and Indonesia were overun like Western Europe was, that NZ wouldn't fare the same?

If NZ was an island state off the coast of Europe, yes, it would have been realistic. 

9 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The Gov have quietly cancelled the free LFT's from pharmacists.

Might as well as in my experience they're fucking pointless.

• Upvote 1

Was in the pharmacy yesterday and an old girl was asking for LFTs and told they had none.

In work today and there's apprentices off left right and centre. Got more people isolating now than at any point during the whole pandemic.

Remove restrictions and remove controls and let's just get it on eh, yeah cheers.

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Thing is this virus type has not been seen before. Its fuckin shameful as its man made and it appears to mutate so quickly which makes it even harder to get a handle on.

Well we don't know it's man made. And to be honest at this point it doesn't matter if it's man made it not. And it would seem to me if we are heading into the unknown it might be helpful for our plan to consist more then just   the same as it's been at every critical point so far "don't worry, it'll be fine". We had that going into the 1st wave. We had it last summer. We had it when it exploded last autumn after the kids went to school and uni, we had it over the Christmas mess and here we are now and it seems we're not alone in just ripping it all up in the hope it'll be alright.

22 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Don't think Johnson will be welcome in the Groucho, like Blair probably isn't.  

That’s all well and good but Blair has made something like £25m since he left politics. I think that’s focused

his mind.  Being able to buy the Groucho may make his lack of a welcome less annoying. 

Edit : his personal wealth is allegedly £70m 

My youngest tested positive on an LFT and we're waiting for her PCR result so thats us isolating until tomorrow at least.

4 out of 7 year groups in her primary school are all isolating at present, and 2 out of 5 year groups in my elder daughters secondary school are isolating too!

But you know, freedom day and all that! The mind boggles!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That’s all well and good but Blair has made something like £25m since he left politics. I think that’s focused

his mind.  Being able to buy the Groucho may make his lack of a welcome less annoying. 

Edit : his personal wealth is allegedly £70m 

I'm sure Johnson loves money, but he's on course to make Blair look good.  

2 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

My youngest tested positive on an LFT and we're waiting for her PCR result so thats us isolating until tomorrow at least.

4 out of 7 year groups in her primary school are all isolating at present, and 2 out of 5 year groups in my elder daughters secondary school are isolating too!

But you know, freedom day and all that! The mind boggles!

Isolation is shit, really shit. We've done it at Chrimbo and a fortnight ago. In some ways it would have been easier if we'd all tested positive but it didn't go that way either time.

Do the right thing tho', and look after each other.

X

• Upvote 1

International travel is based on information and trust between nations. How can any country allow a Brit through their borders if they have no idea of the infection rates?

Why do the ones who lie about statistics and pretend this virus isn’t as bad as it is never really post or engage when they are proven to be chatting absolute shite? Not big enough that’s why. 

Or too big and not man enough or a weird bo stinker who knows eh? 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Why do the ones who lie about statistics and pretend this virus isn’t as bad as it is never really post or engage when they are proven to be chatting absolute shite? Not big enough that’s why. 

Or too big and not man enough or a weird bo stinker who knows eh? 

Ive seen it up close its bad. Lost a couple of friends to it both in their early 50's. People saying its not bad have no fuckin idea.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well we don't know it's man made. And to be honest at this point it doesn't matter if it's man made it not. And it would seem to me if we are heading into the unknown it might be helpful for our plan to consist more then just   the same as it's been at every critical point so far "don't worry, it'll be fine". We had that going into the 1st wave. We had it last summer. We had it when it exploded last autumn after the kids went to school and uni, we had it over the Christmas mess and here we are now and it seems we're not alone in just ripping it all up in the hope it'll be alright.

IMO, it was a natural virus that was tinkered with in a lab, but its a moot point. I think the biggest mistake the UK can make is to lift restrictions. They need to push on with the vaccine roll out and then re visit plans.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Edward. said:

I've had both jabs last one in April, tested positive today. Feel like shit.

The daughter of my mum’s mate (in Glasgow) is double-jabbed and tested positive yesterday. 

7 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Isolation is shit, really shit. We've done it at Chrimbo and a fortnight ago. In some ways it would have been easier if we'd all tested positive but it didn't go that way either time.

Do the right thing tho', and look after each other.

X

Cheers mate, we had to isolate in March last year so it's not our first rodeo. Hopefully the PCR is negative and we can see where we stand then. I'll just have to wait until all is quiet and take the dog out for a little walk (with my mask on), I can't keep her in and she's not one of those dogs you can just let run on her own.

Happy days!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

IMO, it was a natural virus that was tinkered with in a lab, but its a moot point. I think the biggest mistake the UK can make is to lift restrictions. They need to push on with the vaccine roll out and then re visit plans.

That is probably the second most likely cause, however there's no evidence for it.  Most likely is it came from animals they just haven't tracked down the exact animal yet - but that's not unusual.

Here's 19 pages of a review on the origins from some eminent scientists that came out yesterday if you can be bothered:

https://zenodo.org/record/5075888#.YOaUHOgzYuX

OR, the pertinent last paragraph of the summary:

We contend that there is substantial body of scientific evidence supporting a zoonotic origin for

SARS-CoV-2. While the possibility of a laboratory accident cannot be entirely dismissed, and

may be near impossible to falsify, this conduit for emergence is highly unlikely relative to the

numerous and repeated human-animal contacts that occur routinely in the wildlife trade.

Failure to comprehensively investigate the zoonotic origin through collaborative and carefully

coordinated studies would leave the world vulnerable to future pandemics arising from the same

human activities that have repeatedly put us on a collision course with novel viruses.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

That is probably the second most likely cause, however there's no evidence for it.  Most likely is it came from animals they just haven't tracked down the exact animal yet - but that's not unusual.

Here's 19 pages of a review on the origins from some eminent scientists that came out yesterday if you can be bothered:

https://zenodo.org/record/5075888#.YOaUHOgzYuX

OR, the pertinent last paragraph of the summary:

We contend that there is substantial body of scientific evidence supporting a zoonotic origin for

SARS-CoV-2. While the possibility of a laboratory accident cannot be entirely dismissed, and

may be near impossible to falsify, this conduit for emergence is highly unlikely relative to the

numerous and repeated human-animal contacts that occur routinely in the wildlife trade.

Failure to comprehensively investigate the zoonotic origin through collaborative and carefully

coordinated studies would leave the world vulnerable to future pandemics arising from the same

human activities that have repeatedly put us on a collision course with novel viruses.

We don’t let a little thing like evidence get in the way of a good story.  

39 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Clearly we're just going to live with long covid and absolutely anything else that might happen as long as the NHS stays afloat. So the idea that 100k per day may be heading our way with the inevitable mutations that will bring, will just be accepted until it beats the vaccine. They have no intention or will to control the virus, their only concern is management of the adverse effect social media posts of a collapsing NHS would have on their reelection chances.