You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Genuinelly I've got hundreds of boxes available.

I'll pop up to Norwich and we'll do a boot sale.

No idea.

Listening to World At One and the presenter just said in response to Ashworth answering a question, stopping him dead in his tracks, as he was talking about how this can be done effectively  'Just before we came on air the gov to us they were cancelling this'

Ashworths response 'What? Well, it's not going to work then, is it?'

Can't find anything else yet.

Very odd.

The less people test positive, the less it looks like they're ignoring the problem would be my point of view. Loads of us probably get the virus now when double jabbed and you'll likely be asymptomatic. If you've been round someone who's tested positive, you'll likely test. I did for a week a couple of weeks back. They probably don't want to discover those positive tests. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

The less people test positive, the less it looks like they're ignoring the problem would be my point of view. Loads of us probably get the virus now when double jabbed and you'll likely be asymptomatic. If you've been round someone who's tested positive, you'll likely test. I did for a week a couple of weeks back. They probably don't want to discover those positive tests. 

I think, sadly, you're right.

Along with not publishing the infections, hospitalisation and death numbers which is also on the cards it looks like a concerted effort to imagine it away and gaslight the population on the scale of the problems.

Another, in an almost neverending list of, shameful acts these cunts have overseen.

52 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I think the jury's still out on that myself and even WHO doesnt believe China's figures.

Interesting you say by force and barricading residents in their own homes because loads of people here wouldnt find that acceptable 'in the west.'

I never said it was acceptable. I said it wouldn’t surprise me if their figures were low because of it.

However, the principle of locking down and doing it early and isolating an infected area is one we should have been on board with, given our natural advantage as an island.

And their ability to build the hospitals was pretty impressive.

In other news, I think the NHS make a valid point here about consideration for others.

42 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I think it did come out of that lab in Wuhan but I’m leaning towards it being accidental because if they meant to do it then surely they would have released it somewhere else first... 

34 minutes ago, Elite said:

But it doesn't look as suspicious if you kill your own people first....

I don't think we'll ever find out the truth, the people in that Wuhan lab will all be swimming with the fishes now.

28 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

High level espionage (the Chinese will be all up in that shit) could have seen them ‘leak’ it out of another lab in loads of different countries though. 

25 minutes ago, Elite said:

Definitely.

Just hope this isn't the start of biological warfare because things will get out of hand very quickly and we'll either all end up dead or looking like the Rocky Dennis.

I’m reading this and picturing a C List Steven Segal actioner.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think, sadly, you're right.

Along with not publishing the infections, hospitalisation and death numbers which is also on the cards it looks like a concerted effort to imagine it away and gaslight the population on the scale of the problems.

Another, in an almost neverending list of, shameful acts these cunts have overseen.

I don't think they'll be alone in that attitude either. I was on a call with a client in Singapore yesterday and he was saying they're about to stop counting there. So as really locked down as they have been, they see that policy has left them lagging the EU, UK and US as business is opening up and they're adopting a business first approach from here on in. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Anubis said:

However, the principle of locking down and doing it early and isolating an infected area is one we should have been on board with, given our natural advantage as an island.

But they didn't isolate it - it spread globally. The idea that the only place that was effected was Wuhan and by "locking down" early they prevented spread to other provinces is absurd. That very well could have mitigated some early spread but it is all over their country the same as it is the rest of the world - they just don't let anyone talk about it.

On the hospitals - they have one of the worlds largest standing armies - as does Vietnam per capita. Same with the Koreas. Thats alot of manpower that can be activated immediately.

The Wuhan lab theory is just a ..... conspiracy theory isn't it? I've not seen any evidence other than the US stirring the shit and facebook bollocks.

But if the Chinese did deliberately produce it, maybe their figures are low because they also have a cure!? (Cue Twilight Zone music...........)

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Interesting you say by force and barricading residents in their own homes because loads of people here wouldnt find that acceptable 'in the west.'

According to the anti lockdown mob that’s what the west did. You know, when they didn’t. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think they'll be alone in that attitude either. I was on a call with a client in Singapore yesterday and he was saying they're about to stop counting there. So as really locked down as they have been, they see that policy has left them lagging the EU, UK and US as business is opening up and they're adopting a business first approach from here on in. 

Singapore have said they are going to treat covid as if its the flu. I think a large portion of their population have been vaccinated.

34 minutes ago, M_B said:

The Wuhan lab theory is just a ..... conspiracy theory isn't it? I've not seen any evidence other than the US stirring the shit and facebook bollocks.

But if the Chinese did deliberately produce it, maybe their figures are low because they also have a cure!? (Cue Twilight Zone music...........)

The conspiracy theory angle is partisan political bullshit to an extent. When Trump was going on about it I think the media mainly dismissed it as crazy, then when Biden did the same the media flipped and decided it was ok. China haven't helped though, I remember reading a thread about some guy trying to get to an old mine connected to one of the theories and it was pathetic reading about the stupid things they were doing to stop him reaching it.

The Chinese figures seem to be so low partly because of the way they locked down. I've linked this here a couple of times in the past but it gives a good look at how the government and local communities dealt with it : Locked down in Beijing, I watched China beat back the coronavirus

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

I think the jury's still out on that myself and even WHO doesnt believe China's figures.

The exact numbers are debatable, but in the UK about 1 in 500 of the population has died.  If that death-rate were found in China, we'd be looking at 2.8 million deaths.  I think any realistic estimate of the actual numbers of deaths in China is at least a couple of orders of magnitude below that.

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

China is not the best comparator, for those reasons. A better comparator would be an advanced European capitalist/democratic state like Germany (1,087 deaths per million population) or Ireland  (1,010) to compare with the UK  (1,891). These are the sort of countries that made similar mistakes to the UK (and USA, Brazil, etc.) rather than taking the "zero Covid" approach of New Zealand (5.4 deaths per million).

[Figures from Johns Hopkins Univetsity, updated today.]

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The exact numbers are debatable, but in the UK about 1 in 500 of the population has died.  If that death-rate were found in China, we'd be looking at 2.8 million deaths.  I think any realistic estimate of the actual numbers of deaths in China is at least a couple of orders of magnitude below that.

China is not the best comparator, for those reasons. A better comparator would be an advanced European capitalist/democratic state like Germany (1,087 deaths per million population) or Ireland  (1,010) to compare with the UK  (1,891). These are the sort of countries that made similar mistakes to the UK (and USA, Brazil, etc.) rather than taking the "zero Covid" approach of New Zealand (5.4 deaths per million).

[Figures from Johns Hopkins Univetsity, updated today.]

The mistake like not being located thousands of miles from hotspot zones?

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I seen this video on Twitter the other day that the Singapore government are using. 

Looking forward to the UK version with Gove, Alan Sugar and Tim Martin selling it. 

10 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Seen a hospital trust in Scotland was scaling back services yesterday and now this. Must be horrendous working in a hospital. Never ending chaos.

Was just going to post this. It's a point that is often raised in response to people who bemoaned Covid being prioritised and restrictions being imposed - that loosening restrictions would likely lead to hospitals being overran with Covid cases and wouldn't be able/would struggle to cope - but they never seem to want to respond to or deal with that reality which we're seeing playing out here. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I have read somewhere that the number of mobile phone account renewals in China has dropped by 21 million. Dead people don't renew their phone contracts although whether this is the actual number of deaths is disputed (as per the article( Mobile phone cancellations in China don’t prove that 21 million have died of Covid-19 - Full Fact)). However it is clearly more deaths than is being reported

Someone had to actually write an article "Mobile Phone Cancellations are not Proof of Death".

Great days.

• Upvote 1