Bjornebye

Coronavirus

5 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

I hope they go ahead with the plan that only the kid with it goes home and the others monitored via testing. That way you’d hope in the vast majority of cases the kid would only get it once and their schooling only interrupted the once as well. Can’t carry on like they are now with whole classes or year groups having to go off. 

It's a sign of how attitudes have changed that even a suggestion that we only send sick children home from school rather than their entire class (ie what we've done with sick children since forever) is seen as radical.

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Pinch points:

• When people's immune systems are compromised by colds or flu, then come into contact with covid this winter. 

You can't catch colds/flu and covid at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's a sign of how attitudes have changed that even a suggestion that we only send sick children home from school rather than their entire class (ie what we've done with sick children since forever) is seen as radical.

Er... Do you not think that circumstances may have changed from a couple of years ago? 

Johnson is a political shyster without a moral which he wouldn't sell , but what's the excuse with the other two nodding dogs who are meant to be looking out for the public ?

Just now, sir roger said:

Johnson is a political shyster without a moral which he wouldn'rt sell , but what's the excuse with the other two nodding dogs who are meant to be looking out for the public ?

They're not elected, they don't make decisions, they advise. 

46 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think if the last year and a half has taught us anything, it's that most of the abuse will be directed at those who choose to not give a fuck about other people's health because the minor inconvenience of covering your face indoors is too much for the precious dears.

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

Johnson is a political shyster without a moral which he wouldn't sell , but what's the excuse with the other two nodding dogs who are meant to be looking out for the public ?

Snipers next to the cameras?

45 minutes ago, Poster said:

Well I disagree, most people wearing a mask this time in crowded areas etc will be responsible people. As there will be no legal requirement then a lot of people will not, so the minority will be masked and more likely to face abuse. 

I don't know about last year but if it was a legal requirement to wear a mask while thousand were dying last year then I can see why maskless twats got abuse. 

Even then it was maskless twats giving most abuse, as far as I could see.

4 minutes ago, biglad said:

CDC site states you can have both flu and covid at the same time: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/season/faq-flu-season-2020-2021.htm

How many cases have they found of people who have had flu and covid at the same time? Curious that they don't mention or link to any. Flu is widely known for not allowing other viruses to get a foothold, and rhinoviruses are the same.

Coronavirus: How the common cold can boot out Covid - BBC News

The virus that causes the common cold can effectively boot the Covid virus out of the body's cells, say researchers.

Some viruses are known to compete in order to be the one that causes an infection.

And University of Glasgow scientists say it appears cold-causing rhinovirus trumps coronavirus.

The benefits might be short-lived but rhinovirus is so widespread, they add, it could still help to suppress Covid.

Think of the cells in your nose, throat and lungs as being like a row of houses. Once a virus gets inside, it can either hold the door open to let in other viruses, or it can nail the door shut and keep its new home to itself.

Influenza is one of the most selfish viruses around, and nearly always infects alone.

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You can't catch colds/flu and covid at the same time.

https://patient.info/news-and-features/what-happens-if-you-catch-flu-and-covid-19-at-the-same-time

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

So, this makes you categorically WRONG on something where you wanted it to appear like you were totally sure of the answer, which is so fucking gross to watch play out that I need a shower. 

1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

https://patient.info/news-and-features/what-happens-if-you-catch-flu-and-covid-19-at-the-same-time

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/flu-vs-covid19.htm

So, this makes you categorically WRONG on something where you wanted it to appear like you were totally sure of the answer, which is so fucking gross to watch play out that I need a shower. 

Strontium Dog in being wrong shocker.

I want to be happy about the news, but to be honest I didn't see Johnson happy, I didn't see joy on Javids face, or Whitty.  Nobody painted a picture of victory, nobody hailed it as a great day.  And that is the problem here, what comfort are the public supposed to take from what we have just seen?

9 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Fuck whoever shouted that. Fuck Johnson and Javid. Fuck the S*n and the Express. Fuck the crowded pubs for Ingurlund.  Fuck Laurence Fox and Piers Corbyn. And fuck Stronts.

We should have handed the timetable for easing of restrictions to SAGE.

20210705_150059.png

1 hour ago, Jack the Sipper said:

We clearly have very different ideas about how attractive libertarianism as a concept is to the average voter, even the average Brexit supporter, and how attractive in particular a libertarian Health Secretary would be to these people, so there's little point in going over the same ground, especially as we're veering off-topic.

To get back on topic, I'll just leave this here, a poll conducted by Yougov showing the great majority of people want some restrictions kept - the same restrictions that our new Health Secretary wants rid off.

I think we do disagree. Firstly I'm not arsed what polls are saying because they're pretty much always wrong and phrase questions to illicit the response they want. 

Secondly, I think the majority of brexit voters are thick as shit and believe in whatever they're told to rally around. When I'm in London I stay about 20 mins walk from Westminster. I went through there last week when there was an anti lockdown march on a weekday. There were tons of banners and over 50% were pro-brexit ones. The right has made a very clear plan to align brexit voters who pay little attention to politics, so their "camp" is also anti-lockdown and by extension libertarian. Personally I don't think most brexit voters look past which crowd is flying the Union jack. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Lockdown #4. Coming September 2021.  

I thought Johnson pretty much said that today. Basically he said there won't be a better point to roll the dice. If we don't release on 19th July, it'll never be better than then, so let's have the summer and deal with the autumn when we get there. It might work, it might not, but I don't think he gives a fuck either way, he just wants to be seen as trying, just like he did with eat out to help out last summer.