You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

and the average working man from Walsall used to vote labour. they now elect a tory mp since the brexit vote. 

Yep, but I don't think they voted leave or vote Tory now so the wealthiest can pay less taxes, so companies can fire employees at will, so the NHS falls into private hands. It's far more to do with this phoney culture war and a misguided belief that the Tories are fighting that war for them.

Maybe I'm wrong.

15 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Yep, but I don't think they voted leave or vote Tory now so the wealthiest can pay less taxes, so companies can fire employees at will, so the NHS falls into private hands. It's far more to do with this phoney culture war and a misguided belief that the Tories are fighting that war for them.

Maybe I'm wrong.

and that is exactly what they're trying to give us here. instead of a health secretary who has kept us locked up for 12 months and gave deals to his mates, he's gone and has been replaced by someone who instead of "looking at the science" is instead "taking into consideration your overall health, not just covid health like those before him". it's a play to that audience - don't be protesting about lockdowns (half a million i believe on the last one), we'll save you from the evil science and london elite who want you locked up forever. 

Feels like it’s going worse now than at any point. Both my kids are off school, one with the year group isolating, the other started coughing an hour into the start of the school day and has been sent home and now pending a test result.

It feels like it’s absolutely rife. Everyone I know has either a friend or relative who’s got it or had it very recently. 
Admittedly most I hear about aren’t getting ‘that’ sick off it past cold like symptoms for a couple of days but it’s causing absolute chaos with then having to isolate. Mate of mine had it, whole house in 10 days isolation. Last day and the son went down with it so restart on the counter. Absolute hell on earth.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Geoff Woade said:

Feels like it’s going worse now than at any point. Both my kids are off school, one with the year group isolating, the other started coughing an hour into the start of the school day and has been sent home and now pending a test result.

It feels like it’s absolutely rife. Everyone I know has either a friend or relative who’s got it or had it very recently. 
Admittedly most I hear about aren’t getting ‘that’ sick off it past cold like symptoms for a couple of days but it’s causing absolute chaos with then having to isolate. Mate of mine had it, whole house in 10 days isolation. Last day and the son went down with it so restart on the counter. Absolute hell on earth.

3 years in my youngest daughters primary school have been sent home since last Thursday, and 2 years in my eldest daughters secondary school sent home today. My 9 year old nephew and 5 year old niece have both tested positive, thankfully asymptomatic!

20000 plus cases a day! It would be fucking insanity to remove the restrictions!

10 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

3 years in my youngest daughters primary school have been sent home since last Thursday, and 2 years in my eldest daughters secondary school sent home today. My 9 year old nephew and 5 year old niece have both tested positive, thankfully asymptomatic!

20000 plus cases a day! It would be fucking insanity to remove the restrictions!

The tories always wanted herd immunity, this is their path to it.

41 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

The tories always wanted herd immunity, this is their path to it.

Got to agree, although they won't say it, try to ensure through vaccination and infection of younger people that we've reached herd immunity by the autumn. If they're going to go for this, during the summer is the perfect time. Not that I'm agreeing that it will work, we could easily see hospitals overwhelmed over the next couple of months but Boris has kept the Tory party happy so it's easier for him to reimpose restrictions later in the year.

7 minutes ago, Poster said:

Whitty made a decent point, opening up now if it causes a surge in admissions would be better now than in the winter when the NHS could struggle to cope.

Some people were saying this last summer.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Some people were saying this last summer.

I don't remember there being a vaccine at that point though. So not really a decent comparison.

But yeah, if you're going to have a big increase you don't want it at a time when there's already a big seasonal increase. 

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's too fast, medically and psychologically.

I have to agree on masks, I'd have continued for a little longer with them if just for a psychological benefit. 

We already know that there are very few responsible people and none of the idiots will wear a mask from 19th under any circumstances. 

Mixed emotions about today's news. 

On the face of it, easing restrictions when case numbers are relatively high and still increasing seems a bit mad. Plus, while the infection numbers seem to be higher in the younger, more likely to survive and not get too ill age group, we still don't know enough about "long covid" to potentially risk subjecting large swathes of our younger population to a possibly debilitating condition. Then there's the whole new, vaccine resistant variants coming into play too. 

But, the figures undoubtedly show that the link between cases and deaths and hospitalisations has been significantly weakened. And, I'm loathe to agree with de Pfeffel, but if we don't ease restrictions now, then do we ever? We still need to stay on top of vaccinations and get that second jab percentage up. 

Sadly, I think that we'll see a divide in society in the coming weeks. Personally, if I'm in a busy place or on public transport, I think I'll probably still mask up. I don't think that I'll be alone in that based on the results of recent surveys. But, now that masks aren't legally mandated, I think we'll get an increase in Covidiots verbally abusing and challenging people who still decide to go with a mask. 

• Upvote 2