You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

What a load of old bollocks. Totally predictable hysterical overreaction. I'll be staggered if 50 people in this country die of COVID-19. Check-in fella at Heathrow said people had been going through security then changing their minds and leaving without flying! Suvarnabhumi Airport was almost empty. Certainly made my life easier. Quiet airports and quieter hotels. What's not to like? 

Don't touch newspapers. I'm guessing it's a funny meme but it's just as likely not. 

1700 people died of flu in the UK last year; not a word. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, rb14 said:

What a load of old bollocks. Totally predictable hysterical overreaction. I'll be staggered if 50 people in this country die of COVID-19. Check-in fella at Heathrow said people had been going through security then changing their minds and leaving without flying! Suvarnabhumi Airport was almost empty. Certainly made my life easier. Quiet airports and quieter hotels. What's not to like? 

Don't touch newspapers. I'm guessing it's a funny meme but it's just as likely not. 

There's a lot of hysteria about it because it's new and there isn't a vaccine yet. In 2008 and 2013, the last really bad flu seasons killed 13,000 annually in the UK. I don't recall anyone who came into contact with a flu carrier back then going into isolation?

It's the reaction both individually and at a government level which may well prove more problematic.

Guest Pistonbroke

Crisis always means money for some, they just play the game to ensure they get a share of the public panic buying. Shops over here are doing a killing on Sagrotan disinfection stuff. Really funny watching these idiots stocking up on it, especially after mingling with 100's of people in the supermarket, idiots. 

I was at the Hospital for my morning physio and they had personnel at the main entrance making sure that people were using the disinfection machine (i always do anyway). People were actually whinging because they had to stand in line for a few minutes, utter selfish cunts. Got more physio this afternoon so it'll be more of the same, old cunts whinging because they think 2 minutes out of their lives is more important than the possible well being of others. Cunt society we live in, regardless of whatever situation arises.  

I don't understand why everyone keeps comparing this to flu and dismissing it. Its 10-20 times deadlier than flu, just as contagious and more difficult to stop.

Comparing to flu figures of 15k deaths annually, this could kill anywhere around 250k people in the UK. Is that not something to be concerned about?

From the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-truth-myths-flu-covid-19-face-masks?CMP=share_btn_tw

Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’

Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Comparing to flu figures of 15k deaths annually, this could kill anywhere around 250k people in the UK. Is that not something to be concerned about?

No. "Could" and "will" are very distant relations indeed. There are simply no grounds for suggesting a figure of 250,000 except for peddling myths and selling a story. 

Wait, let me try. If COVID-19 were to continue to infect at a certain rate, there could be 250,000 deaths in the UK alone. And if it were to mutate, that figure could easily quadruple. That works doesn't it. 

22 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Comparing it to the flu is just fucking dumb, even by the most conservative of metrics

The comparison between COVID-19 and the flu is absolutely legitimate when fearmongering is involved. I quoted a quantifiable metric of people killed by the flu virus last year. No hysteria. Nobody trying to "deep clean" schools or quarantine anybody. In fact, barely a mention of it. But bring on a boogeyman insidious virus and world goes bonkers based on little more than guesswork, supposition and myth. 

12 minutes ago, rb14 said:

No. "Could" and "will" are very distant relations indeed. There are simply no grounds for suggesting a figure of 250,000 except for peddling myths and selling a story.

The quantifiable metric with Coronavirus is that is has a mortality rate of between 1 and 2% whereas flu has a 0.1% mortality rate.

In some years flu has killed 14k in the UK.

If left unchecked, how many people would you estimate coronavirus could kill in the uk? 50 people? Really?

4 minutes ago, M_B said:

If left unchecked, how many people would you estimate coronavirus could kill in the uk? 

"If left unchecked"? Well, in that circumstance I think it would be perfectly reasonable to make any wild guess I like. Oh hang on, that's exactly what's already going on isn't it. 

6 minutes ago, rb14 said:

"If left unchecked"? Well, in that circumstance I think it would be perfectly reasonable to make any wild guess I like. Oh hang on, that's exactly what's already going on isn't it. 

Oh sorry. I had assumed your cynicism about people's overreaction was towards the measures being put into place and schools being shut down etc.

And when you said

I interpreted it as you were ok to respond to this virus in exactly the same way as the flu virus.

My mistake.

9 minutes ago, M_B said:

The quantifiable metric with Coronavirus is that is has a mortality rate of between 1 and 2% whereas flu has a 0.1% mortality rate.

What mortality rate for flu? Here you go... 

"Each year, seasonal influenza is responsible for about three to five million severe illnesses and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths worldwide." 

From here

16 minutes ago, rb14 said:

What mortality rate for flu? Here you go... 

"Each year, seasonal influenza is responsible for about three to five million severe illnesses and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths worldwide." 

From here

Yes, and the mortality rate of flu is 0.1%. So if flu killed at the same rate as coronavirus (1%+) then the above would read

"Each year, seasonal influenza is responsible for about ???? to ???? million severe illnesses and about 2.5 million to 5 million deaths worldwide." 

I'm not sure there is anything to agree or disagree on. The figures speak for themselves whether you are worried or not. I get that you arent worried because governments are taking action. I'm just arguing the case for them taking action.

50 minutes ago, M_B said:

0.1 -- 1%???

Unless my maths are wrong 500000 is 10% of 5 million

.01% would be 50,000 right?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, M_B said:

In some years flu has killed 14k in the UK.

If left unchecked, how many people would you estimate coronavirus could kill in the uk? 50 people? Really?

Coronavirus is over 2% mortality rate now with many agencies thinking the figures are fudged downwards and probably closer to 3%. Comparing it to flu is daft. It’s much much more serious than that. 

36 minutes ago, rb14 said:

@M_B Please let's just agree to disagree otherwise we'll be here all night and it'll be really boring. I understand you being concerned. I'm not. I don't blame you at all. Honestly. 

That defo wins this weeks award for most condescending post. 

It’s “movie fall guy talking down to reluctant hero” levels condescending. 

5 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Coronavirus is over 2% mortality rate now with many agencies thinking the figures are fudged downwards and probably closer to 3%. Comparing it to flu is daft. It’s much much more serious than that. 

I think outside China the rate is more like 0.7%

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

0.1 -- 1%???

Unless my maths are wrong 500000 is 10% of 5 million

.01% would be 50,000 right?

0.1 is 10% of 1.0

If influenza kills 500,000 and has a mortality rate of 0.1%, how many would die if the mortality rate is 1.0?