You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

30 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It’s a grift. 

Bev Turner has been trying to get in on the act for months, finally got her interview on GBTV news today. 

I had to Google her as I've no idea who she is. As expected her Twitter page is an absolute cavalcade of stupid, ignorant, selfish bellends. So she's certainly got the audience she wanted.

• Upvote 1

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/commentisfree/2021/jun/27/why-most-people-who-now-die-with-covid-have-been-vaccinated

A MailOnline headline on 13 June read: “Study shows 29% of the 42 people who have died after catching the new strain had BOTH vaccinations.” In Public Health England’s technical briefing on 25 June, that figure had risen to 43% (50 of 117), with the majority (60%) having received at least one dose.

It could sound worrying that the majority of people dying in England with the now-dominant Delta (B.1.617.2) variant have been vaccinated. Does this mean the vaccines are ineffective? Far from it, it’s what we would expect from an effective but imperfect vaccine, a risk profile that varies hugely by age and the way the vaccines have been rolled out.

Consider the hypothetical world where absolutely everyone had received a less than perfect vaccine. Although the death rate would be low, everyone who died would have been fully vaccinated.

The vaccines are not perfect. PHE estimates two-dose effectiveness against hospital admission with the Delta infections at around 94%. We can perhaps assume there is at least 95% protection against Covid-19 death, which means the lethal risk is reduced to less than a twentieth of its usual value.

But the risk of dying from Covid-19 is extraordinarily dependent on age: it halves for each six to seven year age gap. This means that someone aged 80 who is fully vaccinated essentially takes on the risk of an unvaccinated person of around 50 – much lower, but still not nothing, and so we can expect some deaths.

The PHE report also reveals that nearly a third of deaths from the Delta variant are of unvaccinated people over 50, which may be surprising given high vaccine coverage; for example, OpenSAFELY estimates more than 93% among the 65-69s. But there are lower rates in deprived areas and for some ethnicities and communities with limited coverage will continue to experience more than their fair share of loss.

Coverage and effectiveness are important numbers for assessing vaccination programmes. It is better to look at cool analysis by analysts, rather than hot takes on social and other media.

I understand this thread mainly discusses covid 19 in the UK, but for something different, this is what has been happening in my home town of Melbourne

Melbourne accounts for 70% of all infections and 90% of deaths in Australia (over 30K cases and 910 deaths) this is due to an outbreak in July – October of 2020, were daily transmissions reached a peak into the 700s

What caused this outbreak was the poor maintenance of hotel quarantine and aged care facilities protocols

During those months, not only were in lockdown, but we were under a curfew from 21.00 to 05.00, plus we were restricted to travel no more than 5 kilometers (3 miles) from home

I’ve been to some dodgy places in the world, were curfews occur, but the last place I thought I would ever encounter my first ever curfew would be in Melbourne

Since that outbreak in July/October, we have gone about 150 out of the last 200 days without transmission with minor outbreaks in January and earlier this month (both outbreaks the daily transmissions reached up to a dozen)

In my postcode, which numbers over 23K, only 28 people have contracted covid, in the neighboring postcode, also with over 23K residence, only 41 people have contracted covid,

So out of almost 47K people a total of 69 have contracted covid, in the area within a 5 mile radius of me, no deaths

Also, in the whole of 2021, only ONE person had died of covid in the whole of Australia

I would imagine at least ¾ quarters of the world’s population, were the numbers are much more horrendous than ours, would take those numbers, yet whenever someone here gets a sniffle, they send us into lockdown

With these numbers in mind, under the bio emergency act, we have been barred from travelling overseas since March 17, 2020

The current travel restrictions are in place until September 17 and with 98% surety, this will be extended out to December 17

I understand you lads should be able to travel towards the end of July, I hope you enjoy yourselves, as I’m going to have to wait until sometime in 2022

One final note, in March our Aussie rules season kicked off

Up until the most recent outbreak, we were allowed 75% capacity for our stadia, which is 75K for the MCG and 40K for Dockland stadium

We never reached those capacities, but we were getting attendances between 40 to 70K

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Our 13 YO got told not to go into school today because someone in her PE class tested positive. Now today (rumour just in, not confirmed) they’ve apparently sent home the entire year group. 

Maybe because it’s close to home but this kind of thing seems to be on the increase again.

My fourteen year old is off all week, not his whole year but a good many by the sounds of it. 

Had a text this morning reminding parents not to send their kids to school with any symptoms. They also said, a ‘proper’ (my word) test should be done, not a lateral flow. 

As any kid would be, he’s happy, but it’s fucking his education this. As it is for so many. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Maybe because it’s close to home but this kind of thing seems to be on the increase again.

My fourteen year old is off all week, not his whole year but a good many by the sounds of it. 

Had a text this morning reminding parents not to send their kids to school with any symptoms. They also said, a ‘proper’ (my word) test should be done, not a lateral flow. 

As any kid would be, he’s happy, but it’s fucking his education this. As it is for so many. 

My 13 year old is about the last one left in her class - and only because she was off on Friday and a bunch of kids tested positive yesterday, so anyone with them Friday is now on stay at home duty. There's 6 classes shut I think in my youngest junior school. Both schools have been like this for about 3 or 4 weeks, since they went back after half term. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

My 13 year old is about the last one left in her class - and only because she was off on Friday and a bunch of kids tested positive yesterday, so anyone with them Friday is now on stay at home duty. There's 6 classes shut I think in my youngest junior school. Both schools have been like this for about 3 or 4 weeks, since they went back after half term. 

It seems to be turning into a bit of a shit show again. As the pandemic progressed, my kids school seemed to get better at online learning but it seems to be a shambles again now. To be fair they’ve got some kids in the classroom, some joining virtually. I imagine this is challenging, to say the least, for the Teachers. 

7 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

It seems to be turning into a bit of a shit show again. As the pandemic progressed, my kids school seemed to get better at online learning but it seems to be a shambles again now. To be fair they’ve got some kids in the classroom, some joining virtually. I imagine this is challenging, to say the least, for the Teachers. 

That does seem to be an issue. When they were all off through the 1st 3 months of 21, it seemed to go pretty well. But managing split classes home and on-prem seems to be a challenge too far. 

7 hours ago, redhawk616 said:

I understand this thread mainly discusses covid 19 in the UK, but for something different, this is what has been happening in my home town of Melbourne

Melbourne accounts for 70% of all infections and 90% of deaths in Australia (over 30K cases and 910 deaths) this is due to an outbreak in July – October of 2020, were daily transmissions reached a peak into the 700s

What caused this outbreak was the poor maintenance of hotel quarantine and aged care facilities protocols

During those months, not only were in lockdown, but we were under a curfew from 21.00 to 05.00, plus we were restricted to travel no more than 5 kilometers (3 miles) from home

I’ve been to some dodgy places in the world, were curfews occur, but the last place I thought I would ever encounter my first ever curfew would be in Melbourne

Since that outbreak in July/October, we have gone about 150 out of the last 200 days without transmission with minor outbreaks in January and earlier this month (both outbreaks the daily transmissions reached up to a dozen)

In my postcode, which numbers over 23K, only 28 people have contracted covid, in the neighboring postcode, also with over 23K residence, only 41 people have contracted covid,

So out of almost 47K people a total of 69 have contracted covid, in the area within a 5 mile radius of me, no deaths

Also, in the whole of 2021, only ONE person had died of covid in the whole of Australia

I would imagine at least ¾ quarters of the world’s population, were the numbers are much more horrendous than ours, would take those numbers, yet whenever someone here gets a sniffle, they send us into lockdown

With these numbers in mind, under the bio emergency act, we have been barred from travelling overseas since March 17, 2020

The current travel restrictions are in place until September 17 and with 98% surety, this will be extended out to December 17

I understand you lads should be able to travel towards the end of July, I hope you enjoy yourselves, as I’m going to have to wait until sometime in 2022

One final note, in March our Aussie rules season kicked off

Up until the most recent outbreak, we were allowed 75% capacity for our stadia, which is 75K for the MCG and 40K for Dockland stadium

We never reached those capacities, but we were getting attendances between 40 to 70K

Lock it down fella.

Two men in Australia have been fined $760 each for violating Sydney's latest round of lockdowns after police found them naked and lost in the bush as they apparently fled from a wild animal.
Officers in a police helicopter spotted the pair sunbathing naked on a beach in Royal National Park south of Sydney, New South Wales Police Commissioner Mick Fuller told a news briefing on Monday.
"Unbelievably, we saw two men sunbaking naked on a beach on the South Coast. They were startled by a deer, ran into the national forest, national park, and got lost," Fuller said. "Not only did they require assistance from SES (State Emergency Service) and police to rescue them, they also both received a ticket."

Just now, Nelly-Torres said:

Chris Whitty being harassed and physically manhandled in a park in London. One of his assailants is reported to have dropped a lengthy dossier with graphs and YouTube video links at the scene. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1409625943283408902

He’s got to have security now.  People are fucking idiots.