Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 142 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

Amazon has temporarily suspended the shipment of all items from independent merchants to its warehouses that are not medical supplies or “high-demand” products. 

This temporary suspension will go through 5 April as the e-commerce giant prioritises products relating to combating the growing coronaviruspandemic. 

 

“We are temporarily prioritising household staples, medical supplies and other high-demand products coming into our fulfilment centres so we can more quickly receive, restock, and ship these products to customers,” an Amazon spokesperson told the Independent.

“We understand this is a change for our selling partners and appreciate their understanding as we temporarily prioritise these products for customers,” the spokesperson added. 

 

This decision from Amazon comes after the online site saw an increase in shopping from people around the world. Items prioritised by shoppers and subsequently going out of stock related to cleaning supplies and other necessary items for Covid-19. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/coronavirus-amazon-suspends-delivery-shipments-stock-price-a9406951.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Ha! You wouldn't say that if you had experienced being beamed up.

Like that time Scotty was caught up in the transporter buffer and the crew of the enterprise found him when they went to instigate a Dyson sphere 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The development of methods to treat the new coronavirus disease is advancing in Japan, with researchers expected to see the results of clinical research using existing medication as early as the end of April.

 

One medicine that experts in a government panel have expressed hope in is Ciclesonide (marketed as Alvesco), a type of steroid used in inhalers to treat asthma. A medical team including members of the Kanagawa Prefectural Ashigarakami Hospital administered this drug to three coronavirus disease patients. One of them, a woman in her 70s, saw her fever go down after two days, and her pneumonia symptoms also improved. She later tested negative for the virus and was discharged from hospital after eight days. The other two patients, a man in his 70s and a woman in her 60s, were able to be taken off respirators after receiving the medicine. Currently around 10 people are receiving it.

 

The National Institute of Infectious Diseases (NIID) reported that Ciclesonide was given to patients with the new coronavirus disease, COVID-19, after being found to have some effect in the treatment of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), which is caused by another type of coronavirus. The drug is said to control inflammation and block multiplication of the virus.

 

Also being tested is Remdesivir, which was developed as a treatment for the Ebola virus disease. As of March 16, it had been administered to nine patients. Japan's National Center for Global Health and Medicine is participating in international joint clinical trials with the United States and other countries to test the effectiveness of this medicine. Center official Norio Omagari said it had only been used in serious cases in which patients were on artificial respirators or heart-lung machines, but none of them had died.

 

Hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil), which was developed to treat malaria, is a similar sort of medicine. When it was given to a male coronavirus disease patient in his 60s who was receiving dialysis treatment due to diabetes, his fever of over 38 degrees Celsius went down after three days, and his symptoms of pneumonia also improved. It is expected he can be released from hospital if he tests negative for the virus.

 

One more drug in focus is Favipiravir (Avigan), which is used to treat new types of influenza. Japan has a stockpile of about 2 million Avigan pills. Clinical research using the medication on novel coronavirus disease patients with mild to moderate symptoms began in March. The HIV treatment drug Lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaletra) is also being tested, having been administered to 54 patients as of March 1. It is hoped that both of these medications will be effective in preventing the virus from multiplying in patients' bodies. However, an individual related to Japan's Ministry of Health Labor and Welfare pointed out, "We've given Avigan to 70 to 80 people, but it doesn't seem to work that well when the virus has already multiplied. The same goes for Kaletra." Furthermore, care is said to be needed when women who could be pregnant or men who are trying to have children with their partners use Avigan, as it can subsequently cause deformities in fetuses.

 

In addition to medicines to treat the disease, there are also hopes for development of a vaccine to prevent infection. But this costs a lot of money, and can take a long time.

"No matter how quickly you do it, it will take a year," said Ken Ishii, a professor at the Institute of Medical Science at the University of Tokyo.

 

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200317/p2a/00m/0na/026000c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LONDON (Reuters) - Supermarket group Sainsbury’s is to restrict customer purchases to combat panic buying, close its in-store cafes and counters and beef-up online services to get it through the coronavirus crisis, it said on Wednesday.

 

The UK grocery industry has struggled for over a week to keep shelves stocked in the face of intense panic buying, which got worse on Tuesday despite weekend appeals for calm from supermarket bosses and politicians. 

In a letter to customers, Sainsbury’s Chief Executive Mike Coupe said that from Wednesday customers would be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two of the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. 

 

“We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers,” he said. 

Aldi on Monday became the first UK grocer to introduce rationing, limiting customers to buying four items of any one product during each visit. 

 

From Thursday, Sainsbury’s will be closing its cafes and its meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. 

“This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible,” said Coupe. 

From Monday, the group will operate an expanded ‘click and collect’ service, with a significant increase in the number of collection sites across the UK. 

 

Sainsbury’s also plans to reserve hours in stores specifically for the elderly and vulnerable and will give customers who are over 70 or have a disability priority access to online delivery slots.

 

 

 

 

About blood time, it's frustrating seeing companies having to take their own action because there doesn't appear to be any direction from our government. From shutting down sports to now rationing food, it's all been instigated by the companies themselves. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The son of a close friend works at a major London hospital. A report is being circulated from UCL/Imperial on Coronavirus.  A friend has now been told by his son to cancel all social engagements and to be 100% strict of social isolation. Apparently the report highlights findings that the number now infected is likely to be in the millions and that the number of fatalities the governments hopes will be 20,000 is fantasy island and does not have the correct number of digits in it. He was informed that the fatality rate amongst the vulnerable groups is much, much higher than is being reported.

 

This is the only news/information that I have seen/received that has made me a little nervous. Up until now I believed that most people have been acting like hysterical, quivering fannies.

 

My biggest  fear is not the Coronavirus but I fear social behaviour etc over the next few months much more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If our gov had access to all of those drugs that are said to help :

 

"We have the drugs, we know they can help and might be able to save a lot of lives. But we're still waiting for the right time to deploy them. We have a group of experts that are continually reviewing the situation so we'll keep you updated on this and we hope to be able to use them in the near future."

 

Media : "What?!"

 

Gov : "Well it's similar to the kids at school, we're waiting for the right time. If you look at the situation with schools we can see that the kids are really spreading this virus around the population now and rocketing the amount of cases up, but we don't think we're quite at the stage yet where closures are needed. This is also under review continually though and the hope is that if we allow one last big push we can have a double effect, where the schools are actually closed, but we've also done enough damage to really fuck the country up.

 

And that's when the drugs can be used to start levelling up our country. God save the Queen and remember to wash your hands."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, redheart said:

 

My biggest  fear is not the Coronavirus but I fear social behaviour etc over the next few months much more

You would have the military on the streets well before then, initially to bolster the police and then taking charge. Most of them veterans of several campaigns and highly trained. I wouldn't borrow trouble, this mainly targets the weak and vulnerable so police and the military will be able to do their jobs. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, davelfc said:

LONDON (Reuters) - Supermarket group Sainsbury’s is to restrict customer purchases to combat panic buying, close its in-store cafes and counters and beef-up online services to get it through the coronavirus crisis, it said on Wednesday.

 

The UK grocery industry has struggled for over a week to keep shelves stocked in the face of intense panic buying, which got worse on Tuesday despite weekend appeals for calm from supermarket bosses and politicians. 

In a letter to customers, Sainsbury’s Chief Executive Mike Coupe said that from Wednesday customers would be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two of the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. 

 

“We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers,” he said. 

Aldi on Monday became the first UK grocer to introduce rationing, limiting customers to buying four items of any one product during each visit. 

 

From Thursday, Sainsbury’s will be closing its cafes and its meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. 

“This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible,” said Coupe. 

From Monday, the group will operate an expanded ‘click and collect’ service, with a significant increase in the number of collection sites across the UK. 

 

Sainsbury’s also plans to reserve hours in stores specifically for the elderly and vulnerable and will give customers who are over 70 or have a disability priority access to online delivery slots.

 

 

 

 

About blood time, it's frustrating seeing companies having to take their own action because there doesn't appear to be any direction from our government. From shutting down sports to now rationing food, it's all been instigated by the companies themselves. 

Rationing is going to be the only way.

 

If you can’t trust people to behave responsibly you just need to enforce it, unfortunately, in a situation like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Rationing is going to be the only way.

 

If you can’t trust people to behave responsibly you just need to enforce it, unfortunately.

I’ve already started putting gravy browning on my legs and shagging American soldiers. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rico1304 said:

I’ve already started putting gravy browning on my legs and shagging American soldiers. 

Yeah, but you started doing that 20 years ago. 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, redheart said:

The son of a close friend works at a major London hospital. A report is being circulated from UCL/Imperial on Coronavirus.  A friend has now been told by his son to cancel all social engagements and to be 100% strict of social isolation. Apparently the report highlights findings that the number now infected is likely to be in the millions and that the number of fatalities the governments hopes will be 20,000 is fantasy island and does not have the correct number of digits in it. He was informed that the fatality rate amongst the vulnerable groups is much, much higher than is being reported.

 

This is the only news/information that I have seen/received that has made me a little nervous. Up until now I believed that most people have been acting like hysterical, quivering fannies.

 

My biggest  fear is not the Coronavirus but I fear social behaviour etc over the next few months much more

 

It's almost like the herd immunity experiment is still on the go, amazing.

 

UK population : 2020 lab rats of the year award winners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Pistonbroke

Just got off the phone with the physio department in our main City Hospital after they texted me to call them. It goes without saying that all physio appointments are on ice, he was telling me that the Hospital is in lock down awaiting the worst. Nobody allowed in unless it has been sorted out per Telefon and the paperwork you get via e-mail is printed off handed to security. They were being snowed under by scores of people turning up because they had a cold or because they couldn't get to see their doctor for certain issues. Hopefully just necessary measures and things won't get as bad as they envisage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Anubis said:

So targeting private businesses, but not the NHS who’d need it most. However, I wouldn’t trust that shifty-looking chicken nugget headed managing director they have pictured, and I think this test kit needs to be peer reviewed.

I'm sure they'd target the NHS if the NHS were interesteded. The government aren't interested in testing people. You get less positive results if you don't test, so they're able to hide the real number of infected people. 

 

In the mean time I'm sure lots of businesses would prefer the workers were not isolated at home for 2 weeks at a time because someone in their household has a seasonal cough or a temperature from a bit of a cold. Just because our government is shite, doesn't mean private enterprise needs to sit on its hands too and slide us into further economic ruin. 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, davelfc said:

LONDON (Reuters) - Supermarket group Sainsbury’s is to restrict customer purchases to combat panic buying, close its in-store cafes and counters and beef-up online services to get it through the coronavirus crisis, it said on Wednesday.

 

The UK grocery industry has struggled for over a week to keep shelves stocked in the face of intense panic buying, which got worse on Tuesday despite weekend appeals for calm from supermarket bosses and politicians. 

In a letter to customers, Sainsbury’s Chief Executive Mike Coupe said that from Wednesday customers would be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two of the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. 

 

“We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers,” he said. 

Aldi on Monday became the first UK grocer to introduce rationing, limiting customers to buying four items of any one product during each visit. 

 

From Thursday, Sainsbury’s will be closing its cafes and its meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. 

“This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible,” said Coupe. 

From Monday, the group will operate an expanded ‘click and collect’ service, with a significant increase in the number of collection sites across the UK. 

 

Sainsbury’s also plans to reserve hours in stores specifically for the elderly and vulnerable and will give customers who are over 70 or have a disability priority access to online delivery slots.

 

 

 

 

About blood time, it's frustrating seeing companies having to take their own action because there doesn't appear to be any direction from our government. From shutting down sports to now rationing food, it's all been instigated by the companies themselves. 

Personally, I don’t think this should have required government intervention. The supermarkets should have been all over this quickly and should have been taking these steps themselves much earlier.

 

You even had some corner shop merchants putting together supply bags for the isolated elderly and vulnerable from virtually the get go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Stephen Adams. said:

What are people's thoughts on Mother's Day?

 

Are you still visiting?

 

Up until this morning I was unaware that the NHS guidance is to not have visitors in your house, even family.

No. I've told my mum (who is 67, but recently had a pacemaker fitted and has hypertension) to stay in her house and see nobody. Walk the dog, use video chat, but keep away from all humans. She's sensible, she's agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Stephen Adams. said:

What are people's thoughts on Mother's Day?

 

Are you still visiting?

 

Up until this morning I was unaware that the NHS guidance is to not have visitors in your house, even family.

People over 60 should be self isolating now.

 

Should have been a week or two ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×