You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

8000 tourists a day still being let into the country. What a joke we've made of this as a country. 

Unreal isn't it - let 8,000 a day in whilst telling the people who live here they can't go and visit their families/loved ones in their houses etc etc etc...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Yes they are. They are just not 100 percent effective in doing so.

They aren't supposed to stop the spread, that's just a bonus that may or may not be expected. It's expected to stop hospitalisation and/or death.

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

They aren't supposed to stop the spread, that's just a bonus that may or may not be expected. It's expected to stop hospitalisation and/or death.

Yes they are. If you are vaccinated against a disease you are not supposed to get that disease. Bonus is that, even if they are not full proof in preventing people getting infected, they are supposed to protect you against getting really sick or dying.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

8000 tourists a day still being let into the country. What a joke we've made of this as a country. 

Where has this come from? If true, this should be shoved up Buffoon Johnson's arse.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Anecdotally I was on the underground the other day and had to go through Oxford/Piccadilly Circus, Bakerloo Line.

Did think it was odd how many people were milling about with cameras...

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

Yes they are. If you are vaccinated against a disease you are not supposed to get that disease. Bonus is that, even if they are not full proof in preventing people getting infected, they are supposed to protect you against getting really sick or dying.

That seems reasonable when you are injected with a vaccine that consists of the actual invader. My understanding is for example the flu vaccine is a version of monkey flu so the person gets the flu and now the immune system can prevent it from entering again.

This vaccine by my understanding is the protein that the virus enters the body in, not the virus itself.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That seems reasonable when you are injected with a vaccine that consists of the actual invader. My understanding is for example the flu vaccine is a version of monkey flu so the person gets the flu and now the immune system can prevent it from entering again.

This vaccine by my understanding is the protein that the virus enters the body in, not the virus itself.

Well, percentages they give you as a first measure of effectiveness is a percentage of people who will be protected against contracting it, is my understanding. That is what they are aiming at when developing it.

11 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Well, percentages they give you as a first measure of effectiveness is a percentage of people who will be protected against contracting it, is my understanding. That is what they are aiming at when developing it.

The fact that it's difficult to tell if it's stopping the spread or the effects is a very good problem, IMO.

8 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

The fact that it's difficult to tell if it's stopping the spread or the effects is a very good problem, IMO.

German Koch Institue recently said that fully vaccinated persons (with Pfizer/BioNTech) according to their research don't infect other people.

19 minutes ago, SasaS said:

German Koch Institue recently said that fully vaccinated persons (with Pfizer/BioNTech) according to their research don't infect other people.

But that doesn't mean they won't be infected. 

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

So?  Vaccines aren't meant to stop you from contracting something. 

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Yes they are. They are just not 100 percent effective in doing so.

The report said President Alberto Fernandez has tested positive (i.e. has contracted) for coronavirus. Vaccines aren't meant to stop you contracting (i.e. catching) a virus.

Catching the virus and spreading the virus are two very different things. The vaccine doesn't reduce a person catching it but it does reduce the spread of it.

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Anecdotally I was on the underground the other day and had to go through Oxford/Piccadilly Circus, Bakerloo Line.

Did think it was odd how many people were milling about with cameras...

Staggering....but the sort of incompetence and double standards you come to expect from this government.