You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Cases are starting to move up again- they've been drifting up in Scotland for the last week or so, and now it looks like England is following suit. Fingers crossed this is mainly due to an increase in testing, and that the vaccination programme means that we won't see a parallel increase in deaths and hospitalisations in a few weeks time, followed by a big third wave like currently on the continent.

Naturally, Johnson's sounding over-optimistic. Memory span of a goldfish, that prick- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/27/data-still-supports-lifting-covid-19-restrictions-insists-boris-johnson

A friend's whole family have tested positive for it. His wife- a primary school teacher- had her vaccination on Monday, and tested positive for it on Thursday, which is a bastard. Apparently her school's riddled with it at the moment, so it was only a matter of time really. She's pretty short of breath and fluey but hopefully it won't get any worse. My mate and his two daughters tested positive yesterday- he had his jab back in February and they're in their teens, so should be fine.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Cases are starting to move up again- they've been drifting up in Scotland for the last week or so, and now it looks like England is following suit. Fingers crossed this is mainly due to an increase in testing, and that the vaccination programme means that we won't see a parallel increase in deaths and hospitalisations in a few weeks time, followed by a big third wave like currently on the continent.

Naturally, Johnson's sounding over-optimistic. Memory span of a goldfish, that prick- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/27/data-still-supports-lifting-covid-19-restrictions-insists-boris-johnson

A friend's whole family have tested positive for it. His wife- a primary school teacher- had her vaccination on Monday, and tested positive for it on Thursday, which is a bastard. Apparently her school's riddled with it at the moment, so it was only a matter of time really. She's pretty short of breath and fluey but hopefully it won't get any worse. My mate and his two daughters tested positive yesterday- he had his jab back in February and they're in their teens, so should be fine.

Schools are safe, they said. Numbers won't go up just because schools are open, they said.

Like you say, hopefully the work being done with vaccines will see only the positive cases increase and not hospitalisations and deaths.

14 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Schools are safe, they said. Numbers won't go up just because schools are open, they said.

Like you say, hopefully the work being done with vaccines will see only the positive cases increase and not hospitalisations and deaths.

Yeah, this looks pretty promising, despite the headline, and the last paragraph- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/26/one-in-25-people-hospitalised-with-covid-in-uk-since-december-have-had-vaccine

One in 25 people hospitalised with Covid in UK since December have had vaccine
Sage says majority were likely infected shortly before or soon after jab, before immunity had time to develop
The data could be a further indication that people are changing their behaviour once they’ve received a jab, wrong assuming that they are immediately protected.
One in 25 people hospitalised with Covid-19 since December have had at least one dose of vaccine, with the majority infected shortly before or soon after vaccination – before immunity would have had time to develop.

However, few of those who developed symptoms, did so more than 2 weeks after receiving a first dose – indicating that the vaccines do help to prevent serious disease once they’ve had time to take effect.

The data, presented to the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage), could be a further indication that people are dropping their guard once they’ve received a jab, wrongly assuming that they are immediately protected.

Alternative explanations include the possibility that they were infected shortly before vaccination, during the vaccine appointment itself, or that vaccination triggered symptoms in infected people who were previously asymptomatic.

In minutes from its 83rd meeting on 11 March Sage said:“The observation that a significant number of people developing symptoms within a few days of a first dose may suggest some behaviour change following vaccination. It is important therefore that communications around vaccination reinforce the need for safe behaviours to be maintained.”

Almost 29 million people in the UK have received at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine so far, with some degree of immune protection thought to develop around two weeks after receiving the first jab – although a second dose is needed to achieve the highest levels of protection.
According to data submitted to Sage by the Covid-19 Clinical Information Network (CO-CIN), there were 1,802 recorded cases of vaccinated patients hospitalised with Covid-19 in the UK as of 5 March. This accounted for 4.2% (1,802/42,788) of all Covid-related hospital admissions since 8 December – the date when the first people in the UK were vaccinated.

The median time between vaccination and symptom onset for these patients was five days, indicating that most of them were infected shortly before or around the time of vaccination, with the remainder infected after vaccination but before immunity had developed.

“Elderly and vulnerable people who had been shielding, may have inadvertently been exposed and infected either through the end-to-end process of vaccination, or shortly after vaccination through behavioural changes where they wrongly assume they are immune,” the CO-CIN report said.

Data from previous vaccine rollouts, national surveys and evidence from Israel have also indicated that people may be less likely to abide by social distancing rules once they’ve been vaccinated.

In its 11 March meeting, Sage emphasised the need for better government communication about how long it takes for the jab to work, and that although the Covid-19 vaccines in use in the UK are highly effective, no vaccine is 100% effective. Minutes from the meeting said: “Some people will be hospitalised with Covid-19 even after completing their full vaccination schedule. It will be particularly important to monitor the prevalence of different variants present in this group by sequencing to understand any potential immune escape. This is under way by Public Health England.”

A separate document released by Sage on Friday suggested there has been a four-fold increase in confirmed cases of the Brazilian P1 variant during the fortnight of 10 March to 24 March from 5 to 21, while cases of the South African variant have increased from 190 to 305.

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

Surely common sense suggested an increase was always likely to occur in the aftermath of moving from lockdown to school opening , so it's hardly a surprise , is it ?

You'd think so, but teachers weren't prioritised for vaccination. Which is unbelievably cuntish, even for these cunts.

• Upvote 1

I’ve been doing testing in schools over the past few weeks.

One school did two and a half thousand lateral flow tests in an area where cases are well above average, not a single positive...

They had a outbreak at the start of the week and had to send kids home.

These tests are shit and giving an unearned confidence.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I’ve been doing testing in schools over the past few weeks.

One school did two and a half thousand lateral flow tests in an area where cases are well above average, not a single positive...

They had a outbreak at the start of the week and had to send kids home.

These tests are shit and giving an unearned confidence.

They're known to be unreliable, the test kit is the same as the postal tests it's just the fact that - well, having all the fancy scientific equipment in a lab kind of make it easier to perform actual scientific tests on stuff.

Who'd have thought that?

5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

They're known to be unreliable, the test kit is the same as the postal tests it's just the fact that - well, having all the fancy scientific equipment in a lab kind of make it easier to perform actual scientific tests on stuff.

Who'd have thought that?

Nah, they pick up high viral loads and do it pretty accurately.  

It's decent IF the procedure is followed properly.  

4 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

And only a 56% percent success rate when not.

Pointless in this scenario and seen as a panacea for the politically motivated school/pub/theatre/work place reopenings when it’s anything but.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

So it works well if done properly by people are not trained to do it while doing it by the hundreds at a time and as long as the viral load is high? 

giphy (2).gif

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

@cloggypop Quite a few fans at the Dutch game, very few masks as well. How is it over there? 

It's an experiment with 5000 fans let in. There have been similar events recently with a business conference and a concert and a couple of lower level matches. Everything I have any interest in is still shut. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-soccer-netherlands-idUKKBN2B90VJ

Just now, cloggypop said:

It's an experiment with 5000 fans let in. There have been similar events recently with a business conference and a concert and a couple of lower level matches. Everything I have any interest in is still shut. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-soccer-netherlands-idUKKBN2B90VJ

Nice one mate thanks. I'm sure they'll re-open the glory hole cellars soon for you. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Nice one mate thanks. I'm sure they'll re-open the glory hole cellars soon for you. 

Was supposed to be pub terraces next week but now cancelled. It's live music I'm missing the most. Expect that is only going to be local bands for quite a while even when it does happen. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

More importantly, when are we going to begin a serious chat about this lab-made viral chimaera? 

Just look at the mutations, the aggressive and rapid mutations occuring.  This doesn't stop until someone admits this isn't natural, and resets the discussion on how to deal with that.  

This.

10 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Was supposed to be pub terraces next week but now cancelled. It's live music I'm missing the most. Expect that is only going to be local bands for quite a while even when it does happen. 

Yeah its shit missing that. They've announced smaller festival line-ups over here for late summer. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah its shit missing that. They've announced smaller festival line-ups over here for late summer. 

I'm still hoping Le Guess Who goes on in Utrecht in November. John Dwyer out Thee Oh Sees is one of the curators this year and it's always fantastic. 

10 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I could take up weed and mushies again I suppose. They are still open. 

Man the mushies in Amsterdam. Had some in a decent in a decent sized box one evening, quite pleasant. Went into a shop the next day to get more and was offered them in a small packet. Decided size matters so asked for their strongest kind. Head Fuck they were called. The worst and best few hours of my life followed. 

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

Man the mushies in Amsterdam. Had some in a decent in a decent sized box one evening, quite pleasant. Went into a shop the next day to get more and was offered them in a small packet. Decided size matters so asked for their strongest kind. Head Fuck they were called. The worst and best few hours of my life followed. 

Mushrooms have been banned here for years after a young French girl who shouldn't have been sold them fell off something high. Truffles are still available though and are very similar. Used to much prefer the Mexicans and Hawaiins though. 

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

Mushrooms have been banned here for years after a young French girl who shouldn't have been sold them fell off something high. Truffles are still available though and are very similar. Used to much prefer the Mexicans and Hawaiins though. 

Yes, this would have been a good few years ago. I remember lying down in a street and thinking loads of headless people were throwing rocks at me. It was actually my friends throwing coins.

Had them a few years later at a carnival in Eindhoven. Decided then they probably weren’t for me.