You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Ah, bollocks to you as well. 

I'll use whatever words I choose. I'm not actually harming anybody, and the word is never actually used in relation to people with genuine physical or mental disabilities anymore, it's just an insult. If you are offended by that, that's your prerogative.

Negged. Champ is GF royalty, you bastard.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Champ said:

How about changing your mind about using the word ‘spastic’?

Apologies for reacting to your post before discovering that others had already responded. It’s the one thing that used to appall me when I first started reading the forum and something to give me hope that in a few short years people no longer seem so ready to throw such terms around as throwaway insults 

In these days where use of the N word amongst others is rightly frowned upon regarding race, the use of derogatory words that were used routinely to describe physically or mentally disabled people should be treated the same way.

11 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

You're right in some ways. This place has changed. Not for the better in my opinion, but it has, so I'll fuck off as I'm not getting much out of this place any longer, and I'm pretty sure a few people will be happy I'm not here anyway. 

I doubt anybody wants you to leave. I certainly don't. You've become a massive Piers Morgan on this thread though. Its ok for you to throw insults etc but you get pulled up or insulted yourself and you hit the roof. 

13 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Ah, bollocks to you as well. 

I'll use whatever words I choose. I'm not actually harming anybody, and the word is never actually used in relation to people with genuine physical or mental disabilities anymore, it's just an insult. If you are offended by that, that's your prerogative.

Are you sure about any of what you are claiming?

It’s not about whether I’m offended or not; I’m calling you out for using a belittling term that has no place as a casual ‘insult’ in a society that claims that all people have the right to be regarded and treated equally 

• Upvote 2

I hope the forum police who get in a tizzy about words like spaz and mong are similarly outraged about other words in our language, like moron, cretin, idiot and imbecile, that were formerly used to refer to the mentally challenged. I'd hate for them to be accused of hypocrisy.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I hope the forum police who get in a tizzy about words like spaz and mong are similarly outraged about other words in our language, like moron, cretin, idiot and imbecile, that were formerly used to refer to the mentally challenged. I'd hate for them to be exposed as hypocrites.

What about dog shagger? Is that allowed?

15 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I hope the forum police who get in a tizzy about words like spaz and mong are similarly outraged about other words in our language, like moron, cretin, idiot and imbecile, that were formerly used to refer to the mentally challenged. I'd hate for them to be accused of hypocrisy.

This from the guy who tried to get the very same person in trouble with his work over a disagreement on here?

Hahaha fuck. right. off. 

12 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Moron, idiot and imbecile are just other words for stupid which can apply to anybody based upon their actions or what they say, all people are capable of moronic, idiotic moments we are all capable of looking like imbeciles, i just don't think they are specific in insulting anyone other than the person they are aimed at, moronic, idiotic, imbecilic. Spaz and mong are pretty much words specifically derived from disability used to insult. Fuck knows, language is a subtle minefield full of nuclear fucking bombs these days.  I wouldn't use the word spaz but I would use the word mong obviously to somebody who is not arsed. But then I'm a retard and a cunt.

33 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What are your views on words that are in our language that are used in derogatory way to call/describe BAME or LGBT people?, you know, the ones that decent people don't use in that way?

• Upvote 1

Just been told that I might be able to get my second AZ jab this weekend as a relative of mine works in a service for addiction/homeless issues and they've been given a batch of vaccine (and a nurse) to give to their clients, but they don't expect to use all the doses so they'll have spares to get rid of. 

They've been asking around for people to take it up and have been told that they can give it out as a second dose provided the person's first dose was over 2 weeks ago, which mine was. 

Not sure whether to take up the offer and save it going to waste, or wait for the now recommended 12 week gap between doses? 

EDIT: Just read a BMJ article and the efficacy after a 12 week gap seems much higher. I'll swerve it. 

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Forum's in a weird place these days. It seems there's all manner of depravity and objectification and close-to-the-mark humour. And then kick-offs over other things that are used to invalidate someone's argument. It's all quite disingenuous.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Chris said:

Forum's in a weird place these days. It seems there's all manner of depravity and objectification and close-to-the-mark humour. And then kick-offs over other things that are used to invalidate someone's argument. It's all quite disingenuous.

Eh? 

17 minutes ago, Chris said:

510886e93929ac4429bcb2fd68eb7360.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Moron, idiot and imbecile are just other words for stupid which can apply to anybody based upon their actions or what they say, all people are capable of moronic, idiotic moments we are all capable of looking like imbeciles, i just don't think they are specific in insulting anyone other than the person they are aimed at, moronic, idiotic, imbecilic. Spaz and mong are pretty much words specifically derived from disability used to insult. Fuck knows, language is a subtle minefield full of nuclear fucking bombs these days.  I wouldn't use the word spaz but I would use the word mong obviously to somebody who is not arsed. But then I'm a retard and a cunt.

But that's the point. Words like imbecile and moron and cretin are also insults derived from disability. The difference is that they've been used as generic insults for such a long time that they're not normally associated with their original meanings any more. Because language evolves.

54 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

What are your views on words that are in our language that are used in derogatory way to call/describe BAME or LGBT people?, you know, the ones that decent people don't use in that way?

I think context is everything, isn't it.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

But that's the point. Words like imbecile and moron and cretin are also insults derived from disability. The difference is that they've been used as generic insults for such a long time that they're not normally associated with their original meanings any more. Because language evolves.

I think context is everything, isn't it.

So you think words like spaz and mong are ok to use?

• Upvote 1