You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So are you denying the impact of the vaccine?

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Nobody is doing that. This virus is over a year old, mass vaccines are about 6 weeks in. In that 13/14 months we have had numerous lockdowns that have produced a drop in infection rates, when those lockdown restrictions have been lifted we have seen spikes afterwards. It's no coincidence. Nobody wants to be locked down or restricted but they have been the most effective weapon thus far against the virus. 

Nope, but as Stig says, this is a relatively recent thing.

55 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

It's crazy. Hundreds of people dying every day. But it's ok, cos it's not 000s, seems to be the rationale.

Oh well, schools back to normal in 5

days...

I don't think there is any real rationale. It's just phenomenally stupid, gullible, and trusting, people.

You're often met with "Wel, culd u do ne beter? "Deyr doin der best".

The UK has a really fucking bad serf mentality. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't think there is any real rationale. It's just phenomenally stupid, gullible, and trusting, people.

You're often met with "Wel, culd u do ne beter? "Deyr doin der best".

The UK has a really fucking bad serf mentality. 

Possibly because they don't constantly put our death rates next to other comparable nations and scream about incompetence - like I imagine they would if any other party were in charge.

In fact, I don't watch the news much these days, but they seem to show the total deaths a bit less too. I might be wrong though.

49 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Possibly because they don't constantly put our death rates next to other comparable nations and scream about incompetence - like I imagine they would if any other party were in charge.

In fact, I don't watch the news much these days, but they seem to show the total deaths a bit less too. I might be wrong though.

Yes, probably. I think it's almost beyond repair the damage the media has done. If they started doing it now people would shrug or say it's fake or something.

42 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Texas throwing in the towel - opening everything up - repealing Federal mask mandate.

Texas has a bit of a reputation for living hard and fast, doesn't it? 

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

Because, yet again, you're completely glossing over the massive effect that lockdowns have had on curbing infections and the subsequent knock on effects on hospitalisations and deaths.

What effect did lockdown have on hospitalisations and deaths in Japan?

16 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Dude  - srsly? This is where you have gone to in your long strange Covid trip? A country who at its height had @ 100 deaths a day? 

To answer your ridiculous question - a third of Japans population went into lockdown in early January when they had record high cases - for them that averaged around 6000. As we all know deaths lag 3 to 4 weeks. So they went up for a month peaking exactly 30 days later.

Yesterday they are reported 1000 cases and 46 deaths. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Dude  - srsly? This is where you have gone to in your long strange Covid trip. A country who at its height had @ 100 deaths a day?

To answer your ridiculous question - a third of Japans population went into lockdown in early January when they had record high cases - for them that averaged around 6000. As we all know deaths lag 3 to 4 weeks. So they went up for a month peaking exactly 30 days later.

Yesterday they are reported 1000 cases and 46 deaths. 

That can't be true, I was told on here it was impossible just to lockdown a section of society rather than everyone.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That can't be true, I was told on here it was impossible just to lockdown a section of society rather than everyone.

Who said that? 

SD - Do you think lockdowns helped nullify the spread of the virus in the UK? 

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You mean the states of emergency that were declared across large areas of Japan, and are still in force? A considerable effect, I'd imagine seeing as they're still doing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Japan#State_of_Emergency_declaration

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/03/03/national/japan-coronavirus-march2/

And they didn't lockdown a 'section of society', they locked down entire prefectures.

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Who said that? 

SD - Do you think lockdowns helped nullify the spread of the virus in the UK? 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Going by your input on this thread there is a very good chance you misunderstood what you read.

A few people said it, Sugar Ape was definitely one.

I don't misunderstand anything and I'm happy that with a week of winter left the virus is virtually gone here.

Whether lockdowns helped nullify the spread of the virus in the UK is moot, but not really the point - even if it helped nullify the spread, you also need to take into consideration the concomitant negative effects.

For instance, it's no good trumpeting that lockdown saved 20,000 lives or whatever if 200,000 ultimately die from the negative effects of lockdown, whether that be negative economic effects (which we know cost lives), the impact on mental health, impact on physical health, and so on.

What I can say is that there are countries which did not lockdown whose death rates are well below ours. At the very least, people should be wary of advocating lockdown as a one-size-fits-all solution.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Can we please talk about the flu numbers?

Oh, wait...

Funny you should say that- you mean the 'flu that's been practically non-existent due to various lockdown measures, particularly social distancing and mask wearing?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/02/children-flu-deaths/

AvhxoCIl.jpg

In the shadow of the past year’s coronavirus surge came a less noticeable, but more positive infectious-disease trend: Influenza and other common viruses have nearly disappeared.

The flu is circulating at such low levels that officials know of only one child in the United States who has died of it this flu season, a striking deviation from the dozens of pediatric deaths in other recent years.

“I think that that obliteration of the flu epidemic, which was seen globally, tells us that the way that influenza is transmitted from one person to another might really have been impacted by the use of masks, more than anything else,” said Flor Munoz, a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics’ infectious-diseases committee.

Widespread mask-wearing may be particularly helpful because face coverings limit the spread of the droplets that carry influenza, Munoz said.

Adults are also experiencing a dramatic drop in influenza deaths, with about 450 so far this season, compared with roughly 22,000 last year.

But flu infections and deaths could stay low next season if mask-wearing and social distancing remain common, either because of the coronavirus or because people choose to apply the same measures to influenza prevention.

“I think this has clearly shown that masking, distancing, hand-washing — all these things clearly work,” said Aaron Milstone, an epidemiologist and professor of pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University. “So I think the question will be, how much appetite do people have for all that to prevent influenza, instead of just covid.”

(Pinched from here as I don't have a Washington Post sub- https://www.resetera.com/threads/washington-post-the-flu-killed-nearly-200-children-last-season-this-time-1-has-died.387758/)

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

A few people said it, Sugar Ape was definitely one.

I don't misunderstand anything and I'm happy that with a week of winter left the virus is virtually gone here.

Whether lockdowns helped nullify the spread of the virus in the UK is moot, but not really the point - even if it helped nullify the spread, you also need to take into consideration the concomitant negative effects.

For instance, it's no good trumpeting that lockdown saved 20,000 lives or whatever if 200,000 ultimately die from the negative effects of lockdown, whether that be negative economic effects (which we know cost lives), the impact on mental health, impact on physical health, and so on.

What I can say is that there are countries which did not lockdown whose death rates are well below ours. At the very least, people should be wary of advocating lockdown as a one-size-fits-all solution.

You said it would be gone by winter. What happened there? 

Even "virtually gone by the end of winter" Over 50k positive cases in the last week isn't "virtually gone" at all. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You said it would be gone by winter. What happened there? 

Even "virtually gone by the end of winter" Over 50k positive cases in the last week isn't "virtually gone" at all. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

I particularly enjoyed these posts when cases were starting to accelerate in September. The graph is actually pretty accurate compared to what happened.

On 23/09/2020 at 17:36, Strontium Dog™ said:

On Monday I had one poo and on Tuesday I had two. This means that by Christmas I will be having more than one million poos a day. It's a frightening prospect, for both me and the plumber.

On 23/09/2020 at 17:31, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, but just look at this predicted graph of deaths that I just pulled out of my arse, and will present as inevitable fact until I am proven wrong, at which point I will completely ignore my predictions of doom:

graph.png

• Upvote 3

Just now, Mudface said:

I particularly enjoyed these posts when cases were starting to accelerate in September. The graph is actually pretty accurate compared to what happened.

Strontz in chatting poo shocker 

• Upvote 1

Japan didn't "lockdown" but they did lockdown. Pretty similar to the deceitful Sweden argument, which implicitly suggests that they just carried on as normal. 

They didn't. And, neither did Japan. 

It's disappointing that people still can't have an honest discussion about Covid/lockdowns. 

"Masayuki Kichikawa. chief macro strategist at Sumitomo Mitsui DS Asset Management, explains the domestic economic hit despite the lack of a nationally mandated lockdown. The Japanese people took it upon themselves to modify their behaviour to curb the impact of the pandemic. “It was an invisible and informal type of lockdown,” he says. 

In other words, Japan was different, in that the economy suffered a partial shutdown as a result of voluntary action rather than government fiat. “The basic functions of the economy were never closed,” says Richard Kaye, a Japan fund manager at Comgest. “In fact, the non-basic functions of the economy were never closed either. Japan never closed restaurants, never closed bars, never closed shops. The only things it closed were sports events and schools for about two months. The rest of the economy and the rest of life were kept going”. At the same time, people started working from home on a large scale for the first time ever.

This is the backdrop against which trends in Japanese equities need to be understood. It would be a mistake to look at the casualty figures and assume COVID-19 had a minimal impact on Japan. It was rather that tighter regulations largely took the peculiar form of an ‘invisible lockdown’ rather than a legally mandated one. Citizens could be trusted to follow government advice, rather than being subject to compulsion."

https://www.ipe.com/home/briefing-japan-emerging-from-its-invisible-lockdown/10049837.article

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The Japanese people took it upon themselves to modify their behaviour to curb the impact of the pandemic. “It was an invisible and informal type of lockdown,” he says. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Says alot about the government involved and even moreso about the attitude of the population.