You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's a number I pulled out of my ass to make my point, but the facts are, the vaccines are proven to stop hospitalizations and deaths. What else could we possibly want?

Not yet proven at all. The early indications are good based on data from Israel for instance but studies are ongoing. And all of that doesn't include the South Africa variant; vaccines are being updated as we speak to counter that. Who knows what other variants will pop up?

When you take all of that into account then it makes perfect sense for them to be qualifying their message, because it's the truth and people need to understand that.

34 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

But isn't severity the problem? The thing that separates it from "just a flu"?

But there are over 40m who haven’t got the vaccine. Continuing to reduce transmissions reduces the risk of mutations.  If we get one that becomes more serious then we could be back to square one. 

12 minutes ago, Brownie said:

If the majority of people get the vaccine, then those who aren't at all protected, that is their problem. That's what my point was. Yes, they can get infected and then pass it onto the rest, but the rest have an element of protection, so.....

The vaccine doesn't have 100% efficacy. So, someone can take the vaccine and still not have any antibodies, etc. They can still get the virus. It appears so far that very few of them will be hospitalised and obviously even fewer will die.

Therefore, the only way they can be protected entirely is if enough other people take the vaccine to ensure that herd immunity is achieved. 

If enough people take the vaccine then this combined with the fact the vaccine has a high efficacy means that everyone will be protected.

So, people do need to be persuaded to take the vaccine. Because they're not just protecting themselves.

It also will lessen the chances of a worse mutation. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Not yet proven at all. The early indications are good based on data from Israel for instance but studies are ongoing. And all of that doesn't include the South Africa variant; vaccines are being updated as we speak to counter that. Who knows what other variants will pop up?

When you take all of that into account then it makes perfect sense for them to be qualifying their message, because it's the truth and people need to understand that.

Yes, but you need to swing the people who are concerned about taking the vaccine. The function of the vaccine is to lead us back to a normal life and keep you out of a hospital bed. I'm just saying, lead with that instead of "safety precautions will still be needed for the next 5 years" like you hear about on the news every day. This is about marketing to skeptics. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

The vaccine doesn't have 100% efficacy. So, someone can take the vaccine and still not have any antibodies, etc. They can still get the virus. It appears so far that very few of them will be hospitalised and obviously even fewer will die.

Therefore, the only way they can be protected entirely is if enough other people take the vaccine to ensure that herd immunity is achieved. 

If enough people take the vaccine then this combined with the fact the vaccine has a high efficacy means that everyone will be protected.

So, people do need to be persuaded to take the vaccine. Because they're not just protecting themselves.

It also will lessen the chances of a worse mutation. 

I completely agree with all of that. My point was, someone who decides not to get vaccinated is at greater risk of someone who does, that's all.

And it wouldn't be right to say, "get vaccinated and you can go back to normal" because that's not necessarily true. Yet.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, but you need to swing the people who are concerned about taking the vaccine. The function of the vaccine is to lead us back to a normal life and keep you out of a hospital bed. I'm just saying, lead with that instead of "safety precautions will still be needed for the next 5 years" like you hear about on the news every day. 

Well from what I can see they do lead with that, and then they caveat it. Because that's the responsible thing to do.

False hope is no good to anyone.

Well from what I can see they do lead with that, and then they caveat it. Because that's the responsible thing to do.

False hope is no good to anyone.

They don't. The messaging has been awful. Telling people that there is an overwhelming chance they won't die of Covid if they get the vaccine is not false hope. Telling people the vaccination will lead us back to a normal life is not false hope. Saying you still have to stay in your house even after the vaccine, is soul crushing. 

16 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That's a number I pulled out of my ass to make my point, but the facts are, the vaccines are proven to stop hospitalizations and deaths. What else could we possibly want?

You've got some nerve. 

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

They don't. The messaging has been awful. Telling people that there is an overwhelming chance they won't die of Covid if they get the vaccine is not false hope. Telling people the vaccination will lead us back to a normal life is not false hope. Saying you still have to stay in your house even after the vaccine, is soul crushing. 

Mate we're going round in circles here, they are saying those things but they are also telling people to continue to follow the guidance even when vaccinated.

From what I have read, the uptake of the vaccine over here is higher than they expected so i'm not sure what has prompted your point.

17 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I completely agree with all of that. My point was, someone who decides not to get vaccinated is at greater risk of someone who does, that's all.

And it wouldn't be right to say, "get vaccinated and you can go back to normal" because that's not necessarily true. Yet.

Yeah, fair enough. 

The uptake was higher than expected amongst the elderly and I actually think it will remain pretty high throughout the age groups. 

They did a poll here last November and about 55% said they'd take a vaccine. Did it again a few weeks ago and it was 85%. 

Mate we're going round in circles here, they are saying those things but they are also telling people to continue to follow the guidance even when vaccinated.

From what I have read, the uptake of the vaccine over here is higher than they expected so i'm not sure what has prompted your point.

A third of US adults are skeptical of the vaccine. A third. And people like to pretend that Americans are crazy, but people aren't that different.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

If someone is vaccinated, and loads of the population are as well, I don't see why they shouldn't go to the pub. And my point is, that's what we should be telling people to encourage them. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, if you're a reasonable and logical person, you understand this. The problem is that the majority aren't, and so if your message is, "even when you get the vaccine, you still can't live your regular life", the majority of people might say "what's the point" and won't want it. 

What are you struggling with here? 

My point is that those who will see the opening of the lockdown door as a reason to charge and acting like the virus has gone are not reasonable or logical, they are fucking stupid and no, no media outlet should be encouraging a free for all whatsoever 

On 23/02/2021 at 14:08, magicrat said:

Got given the Pfizer one which was good.  Missus got the Oxford one a week later.  

No side effects for me and a day in bed with a banging headache for her.  

I had no side effects from the Pfizer one(except sore arm) Mr Suzy had the Oxford one last week and he got a rash on both arms! Went after 24 hours though. Pleasantly surprised he got his (GP phoned him) as he’s 60 with no health conditions.

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

My point is that those who will see the opening of the lockdown door as a reason to charge and acting like the virus has gone are not reasonable or logical, they are fucking stupid and no, no media outlet should be encouraging a free for all whatsoever 

I think there are a lot of people who still won’t go anywhere near people and especially crowded places.

Just now, suzy said:

I think there are a lot of people who still won’t go anywhere near people and especially crowded places.

Yeah sensible people. I'll still wear a mask and still maintain social distancing as best as possible. Obviously it will be great to see family regularly and see friends but people are going to absolutely act like cunts. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah sensible people. I'll still wear a mask and still maintain social distancing as best as possible. Obviously it will be great to see family regularly and see friends but people are going to absolutely act like cunts. 

I’m just happy I’ll soon be able to see my grandson in my garden. That’s enough for me for now.

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm not the one struggling here. My simple point that the news and high profile people should be selling people the benefits of the vaccines instead of repeating how risky the world is even with the vaccines, is being misconstrued. So I was just arguing that. 

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Od 221 million vaccines administered in the world as of today, according to the NYT counter, about 44% have been administered in only four countries, Israel, USA, UAE and UK, with over 20% od their population vaccinated.

Oh just fuck odd will you.