You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

"We had local shortages but we didn't have national shortages."

"Early in the pandemic we had to work hard to ensure the people who didn't have PPE got it urgently. At no point did anyone not have access to PPE."

"Your viewers understand what I am saying."

Stronts: Nods head.

Ahh but remember there was no national outtage. Cos outtage and shortage are the same thing.

Question Mr Twatcock, did all national healthcare providers have all the ppe that they required.

No.

So there was a national shortage.

No.

So did the nation have all the ppe it needed.

No.

So there was a national shortage.

No.

Are you actually a complete and utter fuckwit.

Yes.

6 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

My Dad is 64 and registered on there earlier today. He's booked in for tomorrow.

Wow. Nice one for that. I’ve just booked myself in for Thursday. That’s a weight off. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

My Dad is 64 and registered on there earlier today. He's booked in for tomorrow.

Legend cheers mate, booked me mum in, begs the question why the doc hasn't contacted her as she's classed as a carer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Turkish Delight said:

Glad that's helped a few people.

I just stumbled across it earlier trying to find some info for my Dad as he was told by his GP he'd need to wait a bit longer. Not sure why it isn't publicised.

It looks like it's only gone live today. I'm on a WhatsApp group for driver training and among todays messages was advice that the testing centre in Tonbridge Wells in Kent are sitting twiddling their thumbs and if there were any 60+ year olds waiting for a vaccine, get yourselves down there. Hopefully we'll start to see more use of websites for inviting people with more and more people able to use it. Although it's great news that the vaccine centres are no longer being overrun, it would be nice to think they'd start being proactive about getting people to the centres rather than whisper it on WhatsApp groups.

With regards the lock down lifting at this point it's a hard numbers calculation, I do fear running a considerable background rate will still; gum up the NHS, result in more variants, increase excess deaths for other conditions as services are still under a heavy strain. About 2 weeks ago we had a horrible run of 30 somethings hitting ITU having had a very quick escalation of the virus post initially being picked up, thankfully that seems to have calmed down and was just an anomaly produced by people in that age group being more exposed in workplaces as the ID work didn't confirm a variant we are unaware of.

I note among neighbours and some staff the lack of understanding of large data sets and statistics is linked to lockdown scepticism/susceptibility to media and PR narratives around quicker opening of society and the economy. One of the issues in the UK is the poor levels of Maths within the population at large and the ability to convey risks associated through graphical form.

The vaccine clinic work is going well, good to be firing through the ICU staff and high risk renal and haem patients with second doses. One thing that has been observable is the number of people coming to be vaccinated who are staffing food banks and other voluntary outreach organisations seems to be pretty considerable when compared with local government staff in social care, perhaps if the government were to invest a bit more in the latter they might not need as much of the former.

• Upvote 8

I was relatively bad with the vaccine side effects yesterday. No energy. Achy. All my sinuses felt inflamed. Headache. Falling asleep on and off. Alternating between cold and hot sweats. Temperature up above 37, which is high for me. 

I woke up this morning and my pillow and bed t-shirt were both damp due to sweating that much in the night. I slept much better than the previous night though. 

And, today. Everything is back to normal. My temperature is around it's usual 36 degrees. Just got a slight sinus headache, which I suffer from anyway, irrespective of the vaccine. 

I can't lie. I did feel proper ropey for a couple of days. But, it's bearable. If you do get the vaccine and aren't working from home, I'd definitely consider taking the following day off, if you can. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I was relatively bad with the vaccine side effects yesterday. No energy. Achy. All my sinuses felt inflamed. Headache. Falling asleep on and off. Alternating between cold and hot sweats. Temperature up above 37, which is high for me. 

I woke up this morning and my pillow and bed t-shirt were both damp due to sweating that much in the night. I slept much better than the previous night though. 

And, today. Everything is back to normal. My temperature is around it's usual 36 degrees. Just got a slight sinus headache, which I suffer from anyway, irrespective of the vaccine. 

I can't lie. I did feel proper ropey for a couple of days. But, it's bearable. If you do get the vaccine and aren't working from home, I'd definitely consider taking the following day off, if you can. 

It's well worth feeling a bit dodgy for a couple of days just for the peace of mind.

No pain, no gain as they say.

Glad you're ok mate.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Don't wanna tempt fate, but it's looking hopeful isn't it with new vaccines and repurposed ones too.

Yes it is. We need to already start learning lessons for the next one. We've had 5 in two decades, so we'll be having more. We need an organised, funded and coordinated global response.

• Upvote 3

Fucked up with the Oxford vaccine the EU haven’t they? Crazy if the bolded part is true. Macron, that German newspaper that briefed it was only 8% effective and others will have blood on their hands. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/24/astrazeneca-expected-to-miss-eu-covid-vaccine-supply-target-by-half-in-second-quarter-report?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

EU 'catching up' with UK Covid vaccination rollout – Von der Leyen

The EU is “catching up” with the UK’s coronavirus vaccination programme, the European commission president has insisted as Hungary’s government started to administer a Chinese vaccine in the face of shortages.

A lack of doses among the EU member states continues to blight national plans, with Belgium the latest to warn of “serious delays” to its schedule, with vaccination of people over 65 postponed to the end of March.

There is also mounting evidence of the AstraZeneca vaccine being rejected and left unused in fridges following weeks of bad publicity, including Emmanuel Macron’s unsubstantiated claim that it is “quasi-ineffective” among older groups.

The latest figures suggest 27% of the UK population has received a first jab compared with 6% of the EU population.

Ursula von der Leyen told the Augsburger Allgemeine newspaper in Germany that while she understood the frustration there were signs of improvement.

“I understand very well the impatience that, now that the vaccine is available, citizens want to be vaccinated as quickly as possible and finally be protected,” she said. “We’re catching up. Britain has inoculated 17m first doses. There are 27m in the EU.

“In Italy, with a population similar to that of Great Britain, twice as many citizens received full vaccination protection with the second dose as in the UK.”

The commission president added she would have no concerns about being vaccinated with the Oxford/AstraZeneca jab.

“I would be vaccinated with the vaccine from AstraZeneca just as safely as with the products from BioNTech/Pfizer or Moderna,” she said. “When we started looking for the most promising out of the hundreds of candidates 10 months ago, we assumed an effectiveness of between 50 and 70%. Now everyone is on top of it. The vaccine has been carefully examined, found to be safe and effective, and approved.”

The EU’s deployment has struggled to gain traction in large part due to shortages in the first quarter of this year from suppliers including AstraZeneca, Moderna and Pfizer.

On Wednesday, Hungary became the first EU nation to start using China’s Sinopharm vaccine. Hungary’s prime minister, Viktor Orbán, said in a Facebook video that it had been necessary to avoid a third wave of infection.

The country of 10 million people has ordered 5m doses of the Chinese vaccine. Hungary was also the first to start administering Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine after its national regulator gave it emergency approval.

On Tuesday, AstraZeneca denied reports it would deliver fewer than half of the Covid-19 vaccines it was contracted to supply in the second quarter.

The company said it was striving to increase productivity to deliver the promised 180m doses from its global supply chains after Reuters reported that an EU official, directly involved in talks with the Anglo-Swedish drugmaker, had disclosed the company “would deliver less than 90m doses in the second quarter”.

AstraZeneca’s contract (pdf) with the EU, which was leaked last week, showed the company had committed to delivering 180m doses to the 27-nation bloc in the second quarter.

Asked about the EU official’s comment on vaccine doses, a spokesperson for AstraZeneca said the “most recent Q2 forecast for the delivery of its Covid vaccine aims to deliver in line with its contract with the European commission”.

He added: “At this stage AstraZeneca is working to increase productivity in its EU supply chain and to continue to make use of its global capability in order to achieve delivery of 180m doses to the EU in the second quarter.”

A spokesperson for the commission, which coordinates talks with vaccine manufacturers, said it could not comment on the discussions because they were confidential.

He said the EU should have more than enough shots to hit its vaccination targets if the expected and agreed deliveries from other suppliers were met, regardless of the situation with AstraZeneca.

The EU’s 27 heads of state and government will debate how to speed up the rollout at a virtual summit on Thursday. Von der Leyen said the issues of production and the need for a speedier means of authorisation, echoing the fast-track process used by the UK’s regulator, would be discussed.

The use of vaccination passports as part of a reopening of the tourism sector will also be debated by the leaders, with the Greek government particularly vociferous on the issue.

Von der Leyen said: “The vaccination certificate remains the first step and is important from a medical point of view because we have to monitor the effects and side-effects.

“On Thursday, we will discuss with the EU heads of state and government whether you can turn it into a vaccination certificate that gives you more freedom.

“Because that is a political question I think it’s important that everyone gets a fair chance to participate. Whether this is in the form of a vaccination offer or in some other way. But we’re not there yet.”

Ironically the type of people who'd fume over a 'paedo' getting a vaccine are the same type of people who believe it contains a homing beacon created by Microsoft, so how do they reconcile the rage? Surely being able to track paedos with technology that has been rushed through and not properly tested is a good thing cos they're paedos. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

Ironically the type of people who'd fume over a 'paedo' getting a vaccine are the same type of people who believe it contains a homing beacon created by Microsoft, so how do they reconcile the rage? Surely being able to track paedos with technology that has been rushed through and not properly tested is a good thing cos they're paedos. 

Yeah but try and explain that to them and they'd call you a woke liberal