You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

The kids go back, then in a few weeks they're off again for Easter. Makes no sense other than as said previously, this unscrupulous cunt is trying to appease these families who he is so desperate to get their votes from. The slimy twat.

March 8th - April 2nd is it really that bigger time frame to wait?  

Keep the schools shut till after Easter you fucking knobhead. 

Yep. Like Christmas - why didn't they shut schools early by a week or two (as some schools suggested at the time) and extend the Christmas holidays by a couple more weeks afterwards? The virus was absolutely rampant for those weeks.

But no, they threatened those schools with legal action (though not the private schools which decided to close early anyway), and brought all the kids back for one day in January, then closed them again (though this time changed the definition of a key workers so classes were half full anyway).

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Yep. Like Christmas - why didn't they shut schools early by a week or two (as some schools suggested at the time) and extend the Christmas holidays by a couple more weeks afterwards? The virus was absolutely rampant for those weeks.

But no, they threatened those schools with legal action (though not the private schools which decided to close early anyway), and brought all the kids back for one day in January, then closed them again (though this time changed the definition of a key workers so classes were half full anyway).

They haven't learned a single thing, have they. 

Is it any wonder why we have the largest(or joint largest) per-capita death rate in the world? We're even a head of America on that statistic and they're fucking backward in how they have approached it. 

2 minutes ago, Chip Butty said:

They haven't learned a single thing, have they. 

Is it any wonder why we have the largest(or joint largest) per-capita death rate in the world? We're even a head of America on that statistic and they're fucking backward in how they have approached it. 

A tiny fucking island and we've managed to be the worlds worst/ 50% the fault of the corrupt inept shithouse government and 50% the wankers who just didn't use their common sense and karened the fuck out of it. 

• Upvote 1

The likes of New Zealand and Australia, who have gone for an elimination strategy; how is that sustainable long term?

If most other countries take the same approach as us (i.e. acceptance that vulnerable people will die from it every year, mainly in the winter) then how can those zero-covid countries keep it out if they go back to normal and open borders for international travel etc?

11 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Is that scientific consensus taking into consideration the fact that schools have officially been closed apart from the children of key workers?

It's the global scientific consensus. It takes everything into consideration. Not just cherry-picking one study here or there, or automatically assuming that correlation means causation, but examining the entirety of the situation worldwide. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's the global scientific consensus. It takes everything into consideration. Not just cherry-picking one study here or there, or automatically assuming that correlation means causation, but examining the entirety of the situation worldwide. 

Prove it. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If that's the case, how come the blond bellend shit  himself the day they had schools back in for one day at the beginning of January and then closed them until next month?

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

A tiny fucking island and we've managed to be the worlds worst/ 50% the fault of the corrupt inept shithouse government and 50% the wankers who just didn't use their common sense and karened the fuck out of it. 

I’d say it’s at least 90% on the government. They’ve always left loopholes, exceptions with a wink and a nudge and they’ve continued locking down too late and / or relaxing measures too soon. Eat Out to Help Out was the final nail in the coffin of the idea that they took it seriously.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

For me, its because a group of self serving tory twats think they know better.

I cast my mind back to the very outset of this and there was an Irish guy who worked for the WHO during the Ebola outbreak and his impassioned speech went along the lines of - "don't wait for this virus, test, test , test, control the virus and lock it down, it will find a way if you don't get ahead of it"

We've played catch-up for 12 months and now we are pulling up on the shoulder of it, at the very fiirst sign of light at the end of the tunnel, we shoot our load and start calling the begging of the end and let loose potential carriers. 

Fucking knobheads this lot are. The scientists should be dictating what should happen here, not this gang of useless twats. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Chip Butty said:

For me, its because a group of self serving tory twats think they know better.

I cast my mind back to the very outset of this and there was an Irish guy who worked for the WHO during the Ebola outbreak and his impassioned speech went along the lines of - "don't wait for this virus, test, test , test, control the virus and lock it down, it will find a way if you don't get ahead of it"

We've played cath-up for 12 months and now we are pulling up on the shoulder of it, at the very fiirst sign of light at the end of the tunnel, we shoot our load and start calling the begging of the end and let loose potential carriers. 

Fucking knobheads this lot are. The scientists should be dictating what should happen here, not this gang of useless twats. 

This.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Playing devils advocate - what are you promoting a zero deaths policy before returning life to anything like normal.

Surely once you have vaccinated the most vulnerable to lower severity of illness and reduce desths and you are on way to vaccinating rest of society then you have to accept that there will be a number of covid deaths, like there is to all kinds of illnesses.

Peoples lives and everything that entails - education, work, having a job or place of work to go to, social interaction, kids development, relationships, peoples health and mental well being, our kids futures and so on and on and on and on (list is nearly endless of course) have to restart and sadly people will die from this illness like many, many others.

Minimising risk and doing all can to reduce the deaths is all that can be reasonably done, unless we stay in lockdown indefinitely....a situation that is unsustainable.

I'd not want restrictions lifted until all NHS and School staff have had their first vaccinations.  A few weeks after schools returned there was a huge spike and I have zero confidence this wont happen again. 

I'm acutely aware of the impact this is having on children. You know what else really had an impact? The one day they were back in January, before they had to lockdown again after the spike which started a few weeks after they went back in September. 

I'm worried about being back in school in contact with 30 kids and their families. Yada Yada kids aren't impacted, well I was when I had it a few days after a kid in my class did as were the other members of our staff who had it. I'm worried a out MrsD coming into. Contact with. 100+ kids in class, kids up to 18 who are adults and aren't socially distancing in corridors 

There will always be an element of risk, but I can't reconcile just brushing off the continued deaths. I've not yet become numb to it yet. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The scientific consensus is that schools are not the driving factor in community transmission of coronavirus. Children have missed enough education already.

Balls. 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Knew it. 

No, you don't know anything. That's the problem. You're patently uninterested in anything I have to say, as shown by the fact you're just negging me for posting about scientific consensus, of all things. Why are you even talking about transmission in schools in the first place if you haven't got a clue about it? Ignorant little shit.

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

If that's the case, how come the blond bellend shit  himself the day they had schools back in for one day at the beginning of January and then closed them until next month?

I think you answered your own question there. Unfortunately we have a government which has, at best, a scattergun attitude to evidence-based policy.

Regardless, on both sides of the Atlantic, the science on school closures is consistent.

EU

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/children-and-school-settings-covid-19-transmission

The return to school of children around mid-August 2020 coincided with a general relaxation of other NPI measures in many countries and does not appear to have been a driving force in the upsurge in cases observed in many EU Member States from October 2020.

USA

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2775875

As many schools have reopened for in-person instruction in some parts of the US as well as internationally, school-related cases of COVID-19 have been reported, but there has been little evidence that schools have contributed meaningfully to increased community transmission.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

No, you don't know anything. That's the problem. You're patently uninterested in anything I have to say, as shown by the fact you're just negging me for posting about scientific consensus, of all things. Why are you even talking about transmission in schools in the first place if you haven't got a clue about it? Ignorant little shit.

I think you answered your own question there. Unfortunately we have a government which has, at best, a scattergun attitude to evidence-based policy.

Regardless, on both sides of the Atlantic, the science on school closures is consistent.

EU

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/children-and-school-settings-covid-19-transmission

USA

You don't need to be a scientist to recognise that infections went through the roof while schools were in session and they have reduced while they have been mostly shut down. It's just numbers and common sense.

19 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I'd not want restrictions lifted until all NHS and School staff have had their first vaccinations.  A few weeks after schools returned there was a huge spike and I have zero confidence this wont happen again. 

I'm acutely aware of the impact this is having on children. You know what else really had an impact? The one day they were back in January, before they had to lockdown again after the spike which started a few weeks after they went back in September. 

I'm worried about being back in school in contact with 30 kids and their families. Yada Yada kids aren't impacted, well I was when I had it a few days after a kid in my class did as were the other members of our staff who had it. I'm worried a out MrsD coming into. Contact with. 100+ kids in class, kids up to 18 who are adults and aren't socially distancing in corridors 

There will always be an element of risk, but I can't reconcile just brushing off the continued deaths. I've not yet become numb to it yet. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

The demographic of people who are most affected by covid have now been vaccinated and that vaccination programme continues, protecting more of the remaining most vulnerable.

I think we are at stage now of balanced risk.

We all see things through different filters, based on personal circumstances, experiences and opinions....mine as someone who has a kid who is really struggling with not going to school is i feel they should go back.

Although i do agree teachers should have been vaccinated...certainly as one of the priority groups.

I think we all share the view of hoping it all goes well.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

EU

USA

Ignorant? Haha nice hypocrisy there. Thought this would be over by winter? You’ve been wrong/lied about so much in this thread that’s why I negged you. Stop crying about it. You are always telling people to produce evidence when they make a statement. I asked you to do the same and you told me to fuck off. You know fuck all yet claim you’re some sort of expert on it all. Keep making stuff up it’s funny. 

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

You don't need to be a scientist to recognise that infections went through the roof while schools were in session and they have reduced while they have been mostly shut down. It's just numbers and common sense.

No, it's an extremely common fallacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Questionable_cause

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

He finally took the decision to close the schools on the advice/insistence of the scientists he doesn't usually take any notice of because the evidence was that strong he couldn't ignore it any longer and get away with it.

I think that's the answer mate.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

No, it's an extremely common fallacy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Questionable_cause

What is? That schools are a breeding ground for the virus? I can speak from personal experience that a classroom becomes a virus hotspot the moment one person walks into the room with a other people inside.

Luckily two members of my family recovered from it. Tens of thousands of others didn't.

It's also interesting to note that the Government has decided this to open the schools first when last year they were opened last. Do you think that is because they know they are safe? Or do you think it's because they want to actually see the effects of opening them, knowing they have the Easter Break to analyse the data?

Actually I support the decision to open schools, not because they are safe but because they can actually make an informed decision on whether to keep them open or not based on whether they are safe or not.

37 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The likes of New Zealand and Australia, who have gone for an elimination strategy; how is that sustainable long term?

If most other countries take the same approach as us (i.e. acceptance that vulnerable people will die from it every year, mainly in the winter) then how can those zero-covid countries keep it out if they go back to normal and open borders for international travel etc?

It's not sustainable. Those countries will eventually vaccinate their populations like the rest of the world and carry on as normal, except they won't have had the big death toll.