You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

My dad a few weeks back he’s mid 60s and said he slept like a baby that night and had no real side effects. I guess like covid it just hits people in different ways. 

That's what I said, I've had flu jabs each year and had no side  effects unlike some that felt like shit after it.

Reading up it seems that some do suffer for a few days then it eases off. Hopefully that's all it is and all will be OK in a few days, there's not much I can say to make it her feel better apart from bear with it. Cheers anyway. 

28 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

She had her first jab yesterday, over 60, she was round at our and all sound but now she feels like shit, I said it passes after a 2 days and it's better she had it in the long run. 

Anyone know of anyone that's had the jab of a similar age and what they experienced and for how long? 

My dad is 68 and had not a single side effect. My missus is 35 and had a headache for about 10 days.

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

If it means I can go back to the pub, you can inject mine into my fucking eyeballs!

I suddenly feel the urge to volunteer to deliver the Covid jab.

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I don't understand how we're still seeing 12,000 cases a day. What the fuck are people doing? 

The problem is how infectious it is. I mentioned last week I think my Ma had it, alongside my sister. I wasn't too happy that it happened as my Dad relies on carers coming in and I was trying to work out how it could have come about. It looks most likely that it started with the primary carer. My sister is a helper in a primary school with about 20 kids and 4 other helpers, so it could have come from there.

Primary Carer has a son who is being home schooled. Sometimes the lessons clash with the primary carer needing to be with my parents, so she asks her niece to come over and supervise. Primary carer comes in Monday to Friday.

At around the same time a secondary carer provided by an agency comes in over the weekend, instead of primary carer. Secondary carer has just recovered from Covid-19. It could also have come from the secondary carer.

Three days after weekend, primary carer phones in to say experiencing symptoms so is not coming in. Applies for a test. Next day, results come in positive. Her husband also tests positive at the same time.

Following day, sister says she has symptoms. Applies for test, following day positive. She tells school she is positive, the schiool is closed. All the helpers have tests, next day all positive. Not sure about the kids but you'd have to assume if helpers have it, at least one of the kids will have it.

Same day as sister's positive result, Ma applies for test in case she has it. Positive result next day, symptoms start the same day as positive result.

A week later, primary carer is told to isolate as her kid has now tested positive. Husband is out of isolation period so returns to work (weird that the mother had to continue to isolate but the father didn't).

So by this story, how many cases are definitely positive? At least 9 confirmed. There will have been more. Hard to know if it started from the primary carer's niece, the secondary carer or the sister's primary school.

I can easily see why 12,000 cases per day could be happening just from the number of kids at school, people at work, home schooling, hospitals, GPs, home care etc.

I've told my Ma she needs to be tested again and she needs to get the primary carer tested again. Otherwise it could be going round in circles.

So Nick Hancock acted illegally in awarding contracts for PPE, according to a judge. Colour me surprised...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56125462

Matt Hancock acted unlawfully when his department did not reveal details of contracts it had signed during the Covid pandemic, a court has ruled.

A judge said the health secretary had "breached his legal obligation" by not publishing details within 30 days of contracts being signed.

The public had a right to know where the "vast" amounts spent had gone and how contracts were awarded, he added.

The government said it fully recognised the "importance of transparency".

But Labour claimed the government's awarding of contracts was "plagued by a lack of transparency, cronyism and waste".

The Department for Health and Social Care (DHSC) has struck deals worth hundreds of millions of pounds during the coronavirus pandemic.

'Wholesale failure'

Campaign group the Good Law Project and three MPs - Labour's Debbie Abrahams, Green Caroline Lucas and Lib Dem Layla Moran - took legal action against the department over its "wholesale failure" to disclose details of the contracts agreed.

Under the law, the government is required to publish a "contract award notice" within 30 days of the awarding any contracts for public goods or services worth more than £120,000.

The Good Law Project also claimed that the government breached its own transparency policy, which requires the publication of details of public contracts worth more than £10,000.

In his ruling, Mr Justice Chamberlain said: "There is now no dispute that, in a substantial number of cases, the secretary of state breached his legal obligation to publish contract award notices within 30 days of the award of contracts.

"There is also no dispute that the secretary of state failed to publish redacted contracts in accordance with the transparency policy."

The judge said the health secretary had spent "vast quantities" of public money on Covid-related goods and services during 2020.

"The public were entitled see who this money was going to, what it was being spent on and how the relevant contracts were awarded," he added.

He said this was important so that competitors of those awarded contracts could understand whether the obligations had been breached.

The judge also said publishing the details allowed bodies such as the National Audit Office, as well as Parliament and the public, to "scrutinise and ask questions about this expenditure".

Mr Justice Chamberlain acknowledged that the situation faced by the DHSC during the first few months of the pandemic had been "unprecedented".

He said it was "understandable that attention was focused on procuring what was thought necessary to save lives".

But he added that the DHSC's "historic failure" to publish details of contracts awarded during the pandemic was "an excuse, not a justification".

However, the judge dismissed the Good Law Project's argument that there had been a department-wide "policy of de-prioritising compliance" with the law and guidance.

'Cronyism'

"This judgement is a victory for all of us concerned with proper governance and proof of the power of litigation to hold government to account," the Good Law Project said in a statement.

"But there is still a long way to go before the government's house is in order."

The DHSC said the government had been "working tirelessly" to deliver what was needed to protect health and social care staff during the pandemic.

"This has often meant having to award contracts at speed to secure the vital supplies required to protect NHS workers and the public."

A spokeswoman added: "We fully recognise the importance of transparency in the award of public contracts and continue to publish information about contracts awarded as soon as possible."

For Labour, shadow Cabinet Office minister Rachel Reeves called the judgement "troubling and unsurprising, and a perfect example of how this government believes it is one rule for them another for the rest of us".

She added: "This government's contracting has been plagued by a lack of transparency, cronyism and waste and they must take urgent steps to address this now - by winding down emergency procurement, urgently releasing details of the VIP fast lane, and publishing all outstanding contracts by the end of the month."

At this rate, when are we likely to get to acceptable levels to restart society?  

12,000 cases a day is basically back to where we started in early Dec.  It's taken 45 days of lockdown to get back to this point.  

The Telegraph this week were reporting that lockdown would continue until we are down to 1,000 cases a day.  

Get comfy. 

Screenshot_20210219-230328.png

5 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Has the big Monday announcement not been leaked yet?

Whitty against schools going back fully, wants staggered return, Alex wants them all back.

You can mix with other outside from Easter.

Pubs can sell takeaway pints from Easter and utilise their beer gardens, if they have them. Publicans are outraged.

The back benchers are outraged, the public are confused and concerned, the vaccine roll out is ahead of schedule and Toby Young is still a bulbous headed cunt.

Pretty much it.

Just read The Times tomorrow and it’ll tell you everything you need to know.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Whitty against schools going back fully, wants staggered return, Alex wants them all back.

You can mix with other outside from Easter.

Pubs can sell takeaway pints from Easter and utilise their beer gardens, if they have them. Publicans are outraged.

The back benchers are outraged, the public are confused and concerned, the vaccine roll out is ahead of schedule and Toby Young is still a bulbous headed cunt.

Pretty much it.

Just read The Times tomorrow and it’ll tell you everything you need to know.

Being ‘led by the data not dates’ didn’t last long did it?

3 minutes ago, Champ said:

Being ‘led by the data not dates’ didn’t last long did it?

I’m at my wits end with it, these are political decisions, not scientific or empathetic. 

Leak, adjust, implement, fuck up, regret and repeat with never a chance of censure. Absolute shower of imbeciles and spivs in change of the Union at the worst possible time, almost a perfect storm.

You’ll do yourself no harm signing up to this, it’s a really good morning news blast that seems to know what’s actually happening...

https://www.politico.eu/london-playbook/?utm_source=CTA_blocksu0026utm_medium=internalu0026utm_campaign=CTAsu0026utm_content=london_pb

The government have been absolutely dreadful on every aspect of the crisis up to the vaccine rollout , but I do think that there needs to be a middle road at this point between the right wing loons demanding compulsory snogging of old people starting tomorrow , and some scientists who would be happy in lockdown until 2023. 

23 minutes ago, sir roger said:

The government have been absolutely dreadful on every aspect of the crisis up to the vaccine rollout , but I do think that there needs to be a middle road at this point between the right wing loons demanding compulsory snogging of old people starting tomorrow , and some scientists who would be happy in lockdown until 2023. 

Yes, and to be fair it seems the UK would only need to wait another couple of months for the situation to be considerably better/safer.