Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 1300 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

7 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

It's a tough one this. Online learning for kids doesn't work, but it is the only viable option at the moment. I am also not a teacher, well I am qualified Tutor in the Adult Learning Sector, but not kids. So my 6 year old is not getting the education he deserves or should be getting. Me and Mrs McGonical are trying but we can't give him the focus (and I know I am not alone here in this) as I have to work as well. So the sooner schools are open again the better, for the kids more than anything.

However that should be to the detriment of anyone's safety. But there are other sectors that are in the front line that don't deal with kids and are as much at risk as teachers and people will use this. The issue is that it's a public sector job and people see it as "Well I pay my taxes, they should be in schools teaching my kids as that is there job" And to be honest I understand that to a degree (don't necessarily agree with it), but there are some twats who are just doing it because they can't be arsed trying manage through this. 

Luckily my 2 year old daughter can go to nursery and my all fella has her one day a week, otherwise my lad would get no school work done.

It is about childcare, and the extra pressure from employers and the government to get people working is out of order. There is an expectation that people to continue to work the same as if a pandemic wasn't going on. For me though it is solely about my lads education. We are waiting for him to get assessed for ADHD/Autism, and until that happens he is expected (by the government) to achieve all the work he has been set in 2 x 1 hour windows (That is all we can allocate during our already fully booked out days due to work) we have to get it done with him. It's not fair on him (or any other kid for that matter) the whole things is a mess. 

And the fact that loads of parents are taking the piss with "key worker" status and piling pressure on the schools is out of order as well. My lad got offered a place for his support needs, but we decided not to due to him probably being happier at home. The good thing is that the school aren't putting the pressure on it all getting done and are showing understanding towards a families work/life situation. 

This comes down to the government though and they should have extended the furlough scheme to a lot more people which would have enabled more people to be off work and have time to home school their kids to the best of their ability, and also cut down on the amount of kids currently in school. They can afford to award billions in contracts to their mates and on schemes like operation Moonshot so they can afford an expanded furlough for the next 2-3 months while they vaccinate the most vulnerable and key workers. 

I think everyone would agree schools need to be opened asap but it seems madness to do it now while we’re rolling out the vaccine and it’s going well. Personally I’d rather they fucked off this 8th March target when Easter isn’t long afterwards and have after the half term as a potential return date. It’d give us about two and a half months to really ramp things up. 

I’m in a similar situation with my daughter. She’s vulnerable and at increased risk of Covid and attends a special needs school so she can go in but I’ve taken the decision to keep her at home and try my best to school her and work at the same time. I’d rather she missed a few months of school than put her at risk. Plus she’s only four so I don’t think it’ll impact her as much as older kids with exams and so on.

I know loads of people lying about being key workers though to get their kids into school. One person I know is furloughed but has lied and said he’s in work so his kids go to school and he sits at home watching the telly all day. 

• Upvote 2

This EU/AZ thing is mad. Hard to see any way the commissioner can claw back credibility here.

Basically saying "we aren't making enough vaccine so give us theirs", when both the UK and AZ have said "err, no" the response has essentially been the threat of a sanction on our supply chain? Making things worse for everyone in a way that will likely cost lives.

15 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, and I appreciate your personal reasons for wanting it to happen. My argument is that pressing for teacher vaccinations, whilst welcome, is being done for economic reasons rather than for the well being of children (or staff).

I wouldn't argue with that at all, it is all about getting the kids back to school and getting the economy moving.

But my belief, rightly or wrongly is that if kids, being the spreaders they are, are to return to school, then those who teach and care for them while they are there should be offered a vaccination. 

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

My old man gets his today, he’s 73 with COPD so hasn’t been anywhere since last March. Well other than hospital when he had a heart attack at Christmas.  He’s been quite down for a few weeks and the possibility of getting back to a little normality has given him a lift.  

All done. Dad was quite happy when I left.  I gave him the bill for all the running around I’ve done over the last year, must be emotional as he had a tear in his eye. 

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

All done. Dad was quite happy when I left.  I gave him the bill for all the running around I’ve done over the last year, must be emotional as he had a tear in his eye. 

Hope he's alright mate. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I'm not surprised the prices you charge.

If loads of teachers are off work with Covid then schools can't reopen 

Seems like a sensible idea to me. Also, there's got to be a H&S issue with teachers having to deal with 100s of the little bastards/disease vectors then they should be protected as much as possible

2 hours ago, Pidge said:

This EU/AZ thing is mad. Hard to see any way the commissioner can claw back credibility here.

Basically saying "we aren't making enough vaccine so give us theirs", when both the UK and AZ have said "err, no" the response has essentially been the threat of a sanction on our supply chain? Making things worse for everyone in a way that will likely cost lives.

That is not quite the case is it?

I read that once we receive all of the vaccines we have ordered we will have 5 doses for every person in the country , so hopefully fairly soon we may be able to be generous to the EU or other affected countries.

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

On a positive note though you can bring that up for years to come. Start pissing on the seat just for a laugh. 

'You pissed all over the floor when you cam back from ale house last night and woke me up banging around'

'Remind me again, who brought covid into the house, love....'

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

Seems like a sensible idea to me. Also, there's got to be a H&S issue with teachers having to deal with 100s of the little bastards/disease vectors then they should be protected as much as possible

Aren't the rail unions arguing for the non essential work on the network with the H&S angle as well? 

2 hours ago, mattyq said:

At the risk of repeating myself, and I’m even boring myself now, schools aren’t shut because teachers are getting sick. They’re shut because they increase the R rate in the community and they spread the virus to vulnerable parents and grandparents. Vaccinating teachers won’t stop that. 

I don’t think anyone on here is saying teachers shouldn’t get vaccinated. But they shouldn’t vaccinate healthy people who work in schools before vulnerable people get vaccinated. You can temporarily close schools or limit the amount of people in them, you can’t do that in loads of other places like supermarkets or meat plants for example and no one seems to be clamouring for them to get the vaccine first. 

It just seems completely back to front to me and I can’t get my head around the logic. 

Scenario A: Schools increase the virus circulating in the population which impacts the vulnerable and elderly people, so we vaccinate the vulnerable and elderly people (including vulnerable and elderly teachers) before we reopen schools fully so when cases rise again it doesn’t result in as many deaths and hospitalisations. 

Scenario B:  We vaccinate teachers before a large section of the vulnerable and elderly. This enables schools to let more pupils in (as they’re still half open anyway) which causes cases to rise and spread to vulnerable and elderly people that haven’t been vaccinated. We’re then back to square one. 

Causing a shit load of extra deaths and illness so schools can go back maybe three or four weeks early doesn’t seem like a sensible option to me. 

My brother and dad work at JLR and it is fucking rampant in there at the minute. Social distancing is non existent and they’ve even told staff not to use the NHS app and to still go into work even if someone they live with tests positive.This week my brother has caught it, his wife has now got it and his sister in law (who also works there) has got it as well. She’s passed it on to her 69 year old dad who has to mind her kids when she goes to work. 

They were all furloughed during the first lockdown but have to work through this one. There are workplaces like this up and down the country but no one is calling for these people to jump the queue for the vaccine. Suggesting teachers jump ahead of everyone else working in unsafe conditions and people at a bigger clinical risk from the virus doesn’t sit right with me coming from a Labour leader. 

You can read about some of the shit going on at JLR here:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/jaguar-land-rover-plant-at-19725706.amp#click=https://t.co/oXyC9pUWBM

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

At the risk of repeating myself, and I’m even boring myself now, schools aren’t shut because teachers are getting sick. They’re shut because they increase the R rate in the community and they spread the virus to vulnerable parents and grandparents. Vaccinating teachers won’t stop that. 

I don’t think anyone on here is saying teachers shouldn’t get vaccinated. But they shouldn’t vaccinate healthy people who work in schools before vulnerable people get vaccinated. You can temporarily close schools or limit the amount of people in them, you can’t do that in loads of other places like supermarkets or meat plants for example and no one seems to be clamouring for them to get the vaccine first. 

It just seems completely back to front to me and I can’t get my head around the logic. 

Scenario A: Schools increase the virus circulating in the population which impacts the vulnerable and elderly people, so we vaccinate the vulnerable and elderly people (including vulnerable and elderly teachers) before we reopen schools fully so when cases rise again it doesn’t result in as many deaths and hospitalisations. 

Scenario B:  We vaccinate teachers before a large section of the vulnerable and elderly. This enables schools to let more pupils in (as they’re still half open anyway) which causes cases to rise and spread to vulnerable and elderly people that haven’t been vaccinated. We’re then back to square one. 

Causing a shit load of extra deaths and illness so schools can go back maybe three or four weeks early doesn’t seem like a sensible option to me. 

My brother and dad work at JLR and it is fucking rampant in there at the minute. Social distancing is non existent and they’ve even told staff not to use the NHS app and to still go into work even if someone they live with tests positive.This week my brother has caught it, his wife has now got it and his sister in law (who also works there) has got it as well. She’s passed it on to her 69 year old dad who has to mind her kids when she’s goes to work. 

They were all furloughed during the first lockdown but have to work through this one. There are workplaces like this up and down the country but no one is calling for these people to jump the queue for the vaccine. Suggesting teachers jump ahead of everyone else working in unsafe conditions and people at a bigger clinical risk from the virus doesn’t sit right with me coming from a Labour leader. 

You can read about some of the shit going on at JLR here:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/jaguar-land-rover-plant-at-19725706.amp#click=https://t.co/oXyC9pUWBM

The other thing with schools is that it isn’t just teachers and kids, but also all the service staff like cleaners and cooks in canteens etc. Then you also have all the people congregating around schools to drop off and pick up kids, quite a few might not be parents because of work etc. Then you have to go to gas stations etc. more often than if staying at home. Just many more people mingling than should be. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

The other thing with schools is that it isn’t just teachers and kids, but also all the service staff like cleaners and cooks in canteens etc. Then you also have all the people congregating around schools to drop off and pick up kids, quite a few might not be parents because of work etc. Then you have to go to gas stations etc. more often than if staying at home. Just many more people mingling than should be. 

Of course. The school bus driver from my daughters school caught it a month before Christmas and is sure he got it off one of the kids so people like him would need it too in addition to teaching staff.

With the end (in terms of vaccinating the priority groups) in sight just keep them shut for an extra month or two. 

I’ve seen some of the Tory mouthpieces on Twitter talking about holding pupils back a year as well. Not sure how that would work?

4 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

I'm not disagreeing with you at all, and I appreciate your personal reasons for wanting it to happen. My argument is that pressing for teacher vaccinations, whilst welcome, is being done for economic reasons rather than for the well being of children (or staff).

I didn't look to see who the poster was when I replied to this, I thought it was someone else I was debating with.

Sorry for the confusion.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I read that once we receive all of the vaccines we have ordered we will have 5 doses for every person in the country , so hopefully fairly soon we may be able to be generous to the EU or other affected countries.

Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Falklands, BVI, Bermuda...etc 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Of course. The school bus driver from my daughters school caught it a month before Christmas and is sure he got it off one of the kids so people like him would need it too in addition to teaching staff.

With the end (in terms of vaccinating the priority groups) in sight just keep them shut for an extra month or two. 

I’ve seen some of the Tory mouthpieces on Twitter talking about holding pupils back a year as well. Not sure how that would work?

Given how badly many, many kids educations have been disrupted over what is 2 academic years now, many are doing very little to no learning now or in first big lockdown - i feel holding them back a year is a good idea.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Given how badly many, many kids educations have been disrupted over what is 2 academic years now, many are doing very little to no learning now or in first big lockdown - i feel holding them back a year is a good idea.

I don’t really have much of an opinion either way but what would happen to the kids due to start school in September? Is the thinking we permanently move to kids starting school a year later?

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

That is not quite the case is it?

I was quite clear being reductive, but yes. I think it's actually quite close.

9 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I don’t really have much of an opinion either way but what would happen to the kids due to start school in September? Is the thinking we permanently move to kids starting school a year later?

That won’t happen, but it’s a sensible idea.

6/18 year olds will catch up naturally, but below that they are, and have, missing/missed lots of important stuff. Even the kids above could do with a little more to prepare them for the next intellectual leap they have to make, but they’ll eventually be fine from a development point of view. With the younger ones it’s all about the soft  and emotionally led skills which feed in to the later stuff.

In principle a great idea for the younger years as long as financial support is in place to support the additional year for parents, but I’ve no doubt that that the idea wouldn’t be considered as it requires thought and application. 

21 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I didn't look to see who the poster was when I replied to this, I thought it was someone else I was debating with.

Sorry for the confusion.

No worries. Hope your Mrs gets her jab sooner rather than later mate.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I was quite clear being reductive, but yes. I think it's actually quite close.

From EU's point of view AZ is trying to screw it over, by supplying UK in full and transferring all of the production shortfall to the EU, with an explanation that AZ's factories in UK are working fine, but AZ's factories in Belgium are not, since AZ screwed something up, therefore EU will not get what is contractually due to receive , but UK will. Instead of spreading the production shortfall in its network among all buyers equally. Pfizer is also delivering to Israel and elsewehere, but cutting supplies to the EU. So if they want to play that game, the EU is trying to oblige. Hope they tear them a new asshole.