You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

17 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

From what I see the UK signed a contract with AZ 3 months ago and thr EU only just authorised its use today and are trying to strong arm AZ to slow supply to the UK in order to prioritise them. 

The EU are not looking good in this at all.

I think the EU's approach is perfectly fair. If a teacher plans to bring in 2 boxes of quality street for a treat day for 30 kids but left a box of treats behind, the fair thing to do is give each kid half what you planned rather then the AZ approach of giving half the kids the full amount and the rest get nothing.

24 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

From what I see the UK signed a contract with AZ 3 months ago and thr EU only just authorised its use today and are trying to strong arm AZ to slow supply to the UK in order to prioritise them. 

The EU are not looking good in this at all.

They are not trying to strongarm AZ (well, I hope they are, it's about time they strongarm somebody), AZ is not honoring the contract with the EU, but wants to honor the contract with UK in full, with reduced deliveries to EU (because AZ cannot produce what it promised to everybody). EU is asking them to spread the shortfall.

43 minutes ago, mattyq said:

The Commission are trying to invoke article 16 of the Northern Ireland Protocol without informing the UK or Irish Governments. Total over reaction and possibly dangerous 

Quite a feat to make Johnson's Government look sensible and measured

What are they smoking over there?

EU has been pretty useless from the start of the pandemic and they are probably losing the nerve a bit, because if they cannot throw they weight around if some UK-Swedish pharma wants to have them over the barrel, then what is the point of them? All these shenaninigans with vaccines are also a political game, to show national governments are much better at this than the EU. Russia is publicly offering their vaccine now, despite the fact they supposedly cannot make enough for their own population (they are still at 2 million vaccinated or something).

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

They are not trying to strongarm AZ (well, I hope they are, it's about time they strongarm somebody), AZ is not honoring the contract with the EU, but wants to honor the contract with UK in full, with reduced deliveries to EU (because AZ cannot produce what it promised to everybody). EU is asking them to spread the shortfall.

EU has been pretty useless from the start of the pandemic and they are probably losing the nerve a bit, because if they cannot throw they weight around if some UK-Swedish pharma wants to have them over the barrel, then what is the point of them? All these shenaninigans with vaccines are also a political game, to show national governments are much better at this than the EU. Russia is publicly offering their vaccine now, despite the fact they supposedly cannot make enough for their own population (they are still at 2 million vaccinated or something).

Looks like they're reversing their decision 

The excuse is that the decision was made by mistake

1 minute ago, mattyq said:

Looks like they're reversing their decision 

The excuse is that the decision was made by mistake

Not an expert on Article 16, but it is not surprising since, as I said, they must be losing their nerve a bit, because, if they cannot make sure they are at least treated fairly, let alone as some huge privileged buyer, what is the point of them then? Instead of showing strong leadership throughout the pandemic, they were constantly being uncoordinated, passive, slow. 

So I finished my final day of isolation and the truth be told I've never felt so bad these past two weeks in my life. Even now I'm still quite poorly, had to get some antibiotics off the doctor today for a chest infection. Got a fever that comes and goes and not eaten a thing since last Sunday.  Had to have an ambulance out this week due to a fever and low O2. 

Even getting up to go the toilet feels like I've run a marathon, trying to catch my breath and when taking in a full breath I cough my lungs up. Still got no energy but the chest infection is a worry but hopefully the antibiotics sort that out.  

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Had my blood sample results already. Looks like I’m still packed full of anti-bodies and gonna be giving some blood over 

28F7D69A-BF0A-4E77-9603-4AB73B95B248.png

733848C2-6212-4F03-98AA-E1011D47C017.png

Well done. Its exactly what I'm going to do when I'm better. Out of interest how long did your symptoms last and how long did it take you to get over it? 

I'm in my second week just finished thr isolation but still feel pretty bad. 

5 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

I don’t really have much of an opinion either way but what would happen to the kids due to start school in September? Is the thinking we permanently move to kids starting school a year later?

I think the kids in reception are the ones in many ways missing out the most, all the skills they have to pick up to be able to learn in Year 1...same as the ones who are in last year before moving up to big school.

The detail is tricky, but i really feel there is a need and an argument for it.

I also feel the 6 week holidays and indeed number of weeks in year of for half terms etc need to be significantly reduced while playing catch up.

Something like 6 weeks holiday reduced to 2 and half terms cut out/shortened.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, an tha said:

I think the kids in reception are the ones in many ways missing out the most, all the skills they have to pick up to be able to learn in Year 1...same as the ones who are in last year before moving up to big school.

The detail is tricky, but i really feel there is a need and an argument for it.

I also feel the 6 week holidays and indeed number of weeks in year of for half terms etc need to be significantly reduced while playing catch up.

Something like 6 weeks holiday reduced to 2 and half terms cut out/shortened.

I’m not convinced on it tbh. What about Unis and Colleges, do they just have a year with no new starters?

Strong disagree on cutting holidays. I know quite a few teachers and contrary to what some might think they’ve been working right through this. They’re now teaching classes half full of kids and also having to do the home schooling for the others, it’s not as if they’re not working. 

Not sure they’d agree to losing half their holidays and why should they? And the unions definitely won’t back it. 

It’s a slippery slope stuff like that as well, before you know it the Tories would permanently be trying to change their contracts for the worse. 

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’m not convinced on it tbh. What about Unis and Colleges, do they just have a year with no new starters?

Strong disagree on cutting holidays. I know quite a few teachers and contrary to what some might think they’ve been working right through this. They’re now teaching classes half full of kids and also having to do the home schooling for the others, it’s not as if they’re not working. 

Not sure they’d agree to losing half their holidays and why should they? And the unions definitely won’t back it. 

It’s a slippery slope stuff like that as well, before you know it the Tories would permanently be trying to change their contracts for the worse. 

A teachers work doesn't finish when the bell goes either. Lessons have to be planned, marking has to be done etc.

They can still be working beyond midnight.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

It isn't a permanent change, just one to help this set kids most affected from 2 academic years of chaos.

As i say the detail would be tricky but surely workable.

Especially when read stuff like this and think about how much they are losing.

The extra time in school could be used not only for the catching up on the learning missed but also helping with the other issues mentioned here - through screening, talking, having access to experts etc....would need resources of course, but make them available, it is that important.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55863841

1 minute ago, Harry's Lad said:

A teachers work doesn't finish when the bell goes either. Lessons have to be planned, marking has to be done etc.

They can still be working beyond midnight.

My next door neighbour teaches special needs children and is still in everyday with a class of 10. She knocked yesterday for a parcel I took in for her. Forgot to ask if she's been approached about the vaccine. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

My next door neighbour teaches special needs children and is still in everyday with a class of 10. She knocked yesterday for a parcel I took in for her. Forgot to ask if she's been approached about the vaccine. 

My daughter does. She was offered the vaccine last week. I think she's having it on Tuesday.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, No2 said:

I think the EU's approach is perfectly fair. If a teacher plans to bring in 2 boxes of quality street for a treat day for 30 kids but left a box of treats behind, the fair thing to do is give each kid half what you planned rather then the AZ approach of giving half the kids the full amount and the rest get nothing.

We don't know all the details of the contracts do we? The UK certainly has had things inserted into the contract where their supply has to come from because there were some issues early on that production was behind in the UK and not Belgium, but our contract insisted a certain number of the vaccines were produced in the UK. It would make sense to me if the UK had put stipulations in their contract where the vaccine was made for those ordered here, AZ signing later contracts would be smart enough to protect their interests and stipulated the UK manufactured vaccines were already accounted for for a certain amount of time. 

Obviously none of this is ideal when there are vulnerable people awaiting vaccines, be that here or the EU, but the bottom line is you write and sign contracts for how to deal with things when stuff goes wrong. 

The vaccinating teachers thing sounds a bit simplistic to me. It'd obviously be great to get them protected, but I don't get the idea that this would in some way make it easier and safer to open schools again. Schools weren't closed to protect teachers (ha!), they were closed to stop kids spreading it to each other's households. Vaccinating teachers won't change that.

Maybe I'm being idealistic, but you would think that because of the importance and necessity of the vaccine, governments would help fund the acquisition of facilities to increase capacity of the vaccine and whatever is needed to actually make the stuff.

People are dying, health services are overloaded and economies are taking a massive hit, yet instead of doing something constructive they're just bickering and looking for someone to blame.

Or is that too simple.