You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

The holiday one is a tough one because it seems obvious to me that by going abroad and coming back you are definitely helping the virus to spread BUT the government advice has allowed holidays so you can’t really blame people for following the rules.

It’s probably one of them where you can say that it’s something you wouldn’t personally do rather than slagging someone off for following the rules.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Funny how reps aren't time stamped isn't it, so I can't prove you wrong.

I was in the thread when that happened, he did rep you at the time mate. I remember thinking it was a shame the way it went. Things written in text often lack the nuance compared to a normal conversation.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I was in the thread when that happened, he did rep you at the time mate. I remember thinking it was a shame the way it went. Things written in text often lack the nuance compared to a normal conversation.

Fair enough. I didn't get a notification of a rep first, but if that's the way it was meant, apologies for taking it the wrong way. 

Thing is, I was actually trying to make a point about the government deceiving people regarding this more contagious strain, but whatever point I make just gets jumped on or dismissed. It's frustrating.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

The holiday one is a tough one because it seems obvious to me that by going abroad and coming back you are definitely helping the virus to spread BUT the government advice has allowed holidays so you can’t really blame people for following the rules.

It’s probably one of them where you can say that it’s something you wouldn’t personally do rather than slagging someone off for following the rules.

Yeah agreed.

I understand completely people's need for a change of scenery and to have something to look forward to. Also, there's the impact it has on foreign economies. You do wonder what kind of financial mayhem this has wrought on the likes of Portugal and Greece. 

Personally I won't be going abroad until next year if everything keeps heading in the right direction. I'd like to get away somewhere local though. I went to centre parcs in September, it was very easy to socially distance somewhere like that but it was hard to relax as you were aware everything was so fucked up, and you were aware things could change at a moment's notice, I wouldn't have wanted to feel like that in another country.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’m going back to Berlin in July, not confident about that at all.  

I'd be more confident about an island that needs to be covid free to survive than I would be about Berlin. In saying that the Germans will have their shit together, if anywhere is fully operational it will be there.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

Fair enough. I didn't get a notification of a rep first, but if that's the way it was meant, apologies for taking it the wrong way. 

Thing is, I was actually trying to make a point about the government deceiving people regarding this more contagious strain, but whatever point I make just gets jumped on or dismissed. It's frustrating.

I think it’s human nature that when you have consistent disagreements with someone on a particular issue, your default position to anything they say on the subject is skepticism. I’m not saying that’s right, I just think it’s how we are wired.

We can all be better at taking time to digest things properly (i’m guilty of it myself).

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Apology accepted. 

As for the second part, I was simply pointing out based on the evidence you posted that lockdown has shown a decrease in cases. Not sure why that garnered a negative reaction but oh well who really gives a fuck. 

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'd be more confident about an island that needs to be covid free to survive than I would be about Berlin. In saying that the Germans will have their shit together, if anywhere is fully operational it will be there.

I think you’re right.  Airlines, testing and proof of vaccine will play into it too. I won’t have had mine by July, the missus won’t get hers til October. 

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah agreed.

I understand completely people's need for a change of scenery and to have something to look forward to. Also, there's the impact it has on foreign economies. You do wonder what kind of financial mayhem this has wrought on the likes of Portugal and Greece. 

Personally I won't be going abroad until next year if everything keeps heading in the right direction. I'd like to get away somewhere local though. I went to centre parcs in September, it was very easy to socially distance somewhere like that but it was hard to relax as you were aware everything was so fucked up, and you were aware things could change at a moment's notice, I wouldn't have wanted to feel like that in another country.

We moved our holiday from last summer to this summer. At the moment i’m not able to move it again but if given the opportunity I definitely will as i’m not comfortable with going abroad this summer (as things stand).

If they don’t allow me to move it then i’ll be left with a choice of forfeiting what I’ve paid.

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

We moved our holiday from last summer to this summer. At the moment i’m not able to move it again but if given the opportunity I definitely will as i’m not comfortable with going abroad this summer (as things stand).

If they don’t allow me to move it then i’ll be left with a choice of forfeiting what I’ve paid.

Have you raised that with any third parties such as ombudsmen mate? You must have some rights there surely? Twats.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Have you raised that with any third parties such as ombudsmen mate? You must have some rights there surely? Twats.

Not yet mate, haven’t looked into anything, just been keeping a close(ish) eye on the travel situation. Holidays up until the end of March can be rescheduled without any cost, so I’m hoping for that date to move back at some point.

It’s still unclear as to how it will work, i.e. will people need vaccination certificates to travel and all that jazz?

17 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think you’re right.  Airlines, testing and proof of vaccine will play into it too. I won’t have had mine by July, the missus won’t get hers til October. 

I think the goalposts will have moved a few times too. Once the most vulnerable are done 45 year old with money will be able to skip 55 year old with out. Similar to what happened with testing. 

I will add I booked these fights in a fuck it moment at the end of a shitty day, Ryanair's algorithm knew I was needed a lift and hit me right in the sweet spot.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, No2 said:

I think the goalposts will have moved a few times too. Once the most vulnerable are done 45 year old with money will be able to skip 55 year old with out. Similar to what happened with testing. 

I will add I booked these fights in a fuck it moment at the end of a shitty day, Ryanair's algorithm knew I was needed a lift and hit me right in the sweet spot.

Wait till you’ve had the vaccine, Bill Gates will be tweaking your mood 30 times a day!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

I posted a video of someone using the mask. A poster on here placed an order... I told him I could get it cheaper. I then provided it cheaper. I then gave him a load more of the masks for free. How anybody thinks I have done anything wrong in the circumstance is fucking beyond me.

I still don't believe masks used by the general public in non-laboratory conditions make the slightest bit of difference. Whether this is correct or not, won't really be determined for some time. My opinion on the efficacy of masks is really irrelevant. 

Just. Fucking. Wow. 

2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

As for this bit, it wasn't a joke. You were snidely trying to undermine my point by bringing up something completely irrelevant. You consistently play the man and not the ball. Just deal with the subject matter in hand, as other posters did, by speculating why this seemingly more contagious strain could be fading out faster than the less contagious strains.

You said the first strain was dying out. I'd say your ball is fucked.