You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

17 minutes ago, Caramac said:

I lost my mum to the virus yesterday. She was 86 and had been in a care home for just coming up to six years suffering from alzheimers.

The care home seemed to be keeping the virus at bay up until a couple of weeks ago and then my mum tested positive around ten days ago. She seemed to be doing ok but then in a space of less than 24 hrs she deteriorated quickly.

We got a call from them saying she was really poorly so we hurried up there and myself, dad and brother were allowed in separately for 15 mins to say our goodbyes. Within a couple of hours she had passed away :(

Sorry to hear this mate. Thoughts with you and your family 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Caramac said:

I lost my mum to the virus yesterday. She was 86 and had been in a care home for just coming up to six years suffering from alzheimers.

The care home seemed to be keeping the virus at bay up until a couple of weeks ago and then my mum tested positive around ten days ago. She seemed to be doing ok but then in a space of less than 24 hrs she deteriorated quickly.

We got a call from them saying she was really poorly so we hurried up there and myself, dad and brother were allowed in separately for 15 mins to say our goodbyes. Within a couple of hours she had passed away :(

Fucking Hell, that's awful

All the best, mate!!

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Sorry for your loss. 

There's been a few sad instances like this which show that the protect the elderly and vulnerable and let others get on with life approach is a complete non-starter and is made from a position of ignorance to the reality of the situation we find ourselves in. All it takes is one person to have a minor slip up and the ring put around the vulnerable is breached. 

It infuriates me the amount of people that don't understand this. 

• Upvote 2

Aye, thanks for your kind words everyone. I kinda thought she might see it through as she was a fighter and had seen off several illnesses over the last couple of years but it wasn't to be.

My Dad just had his 90th birthday last Monday and is booked in for his vaccine jab this coming Monday.

• Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, Caramac said:

That’s so sad, mate. My thoughts are with you and your family. Take care of yourselves.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Caramac said:

Aye, thanks for your kind words everyone. I kinda thought she might see it through as she was a fighter and had seen off several illnesses over the last couple of years but it wasn't to be.

My Dad just had his 90th birthday last Monday and is booked in for his vaccine jab this coming Monday.

Fuck, man. I’m sorry.

Nothing but peace and love to all x

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Caramac said:

My sincerest condolences to you and your family. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Caramac said:

Get him jabbed and give him a hug.  Yer ma fought until her last breath I'm sure x

• Upvote 1

I can only echo everyone else’s comments. Condolences to you and yours, Caramac. 

I don’t really have words for these things so all those that have posted similar gut wrenching stories recently please take my ‘rep and run’ policy as an acknowledgment that I’m not ignoring anybody’s plight. I just don’t know what to say. It’s fucking awful business, all this. 

• Upvote 8

2 minutes ago, Caramac said:

Thanks again everyone, genuinely heartwarming to see your kind words and support.

Really sorry to hear that mate (for what it's worth from a complete stranger on the internet).

My 87 year old nan has it and is in Fazakerley hospital. She's had mild pneumonia. She seems to be improving but I don't think that's any guarantee as things can go quickly downhill.

I'm still suffering with chest pains (which I'm sure will pass, I'm just glad I'm not older), my mum and dad both have it, two uncles and an auntie. It honestly seems like the apocalypse. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Best wishes Caramac , I know this thread is the covid one , but what a horrible illness Alzheimers is.

It really is mate. We've had a long time to try and prepare for this and then covid comes in and takes away I believe nine of the residents including my mum in a matter of two weeks

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Caramac said:

So sorry to hear that.

• Like 1

Mr Suzy tested positive for Covid a couple of weeks ago. He’s just gone back to work today. Luckily - I hope- he seems to have had a relatively mild dose - a cough, no appetite and sleeping lots. 
He does a very physical job in a warehouse so I was concerned he’d gone back too soon but he’s coped ok today, just fell asleep within an hour of getting home!

I seemed to have had similar symptoms but as I’m working from home didn’t miss work. I’d had the vaccine a week before so don’t know if it has given me some protection.

• Upvote 4