You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

14 hours ago, Champ said:

Dad, 86, not a peep.

Apart from my friend’s mum, who lives in East Lothian,  I haven’t heard of another person in the over 80s group to have had it

I think in Scotland they are really trying to target the care homes due to the stick Nicola got first time round for that, I hope your dad gets it soon. My folks haven't heard yet while my aunt in the North West had it today.

I'm sorry to hear people have relatives and friends in hospital I hope they get better.

We managed to vaccinate 700+ yesterday including a decent chunk of the high risk renal patients. We had load of community care workers too the relief was palpable on some peoples faces.

Ended up working 19 hours yesterday with that and the national data updates for the patient group I'm involved with. To be fair yesterday while busy was infinitely better than the day beforehand when we scrapping the barrel running around the hospital trying to get the scared and the refuseniks from the staff to have theirs.

It's mad how group think works, I was on one step down ward where two of the nursing staff are ardent antivaxxers* and it's just spread to the rest of them, I and a SpR went to each of them individually managed to get one domestic cleaner, one nurse and one caterer to come. There was a HCA (healthcare assistant) who I spoke to who said she didn't want it as she wanted to see how the other staff felt afterwards, we were standing all of 2 meters away from a woman of her age who had just been moved from ICU and was on oxygen support, baffling... the forces personnel who were there at the time couldn't get their head around it

I think the general disinformation in the population is having a deleterious impact on the staff given comments I've heard (even regarding family members). I challenged a couple of lads on the bus this morning about it when they were gassing loudly about not getting the lockdowns (of course with their masks around their chins). One of them said "they show us bodies all the time on the news of war zones why don't they show us what's happening".

*The stuff they were quoting at me was the usual shite in the population, but the thing they kept returning to was they didn't 'believe' in the vaccines, I'm not really sure where you can go at that point other than to leave the door open i.e. that they can speak to the lead pharmacist/ ID/ microbiology consultants.

• Upvote 9

This is the first time in this crisis where the rhetoric from the Scottish government doesn’t seem to fit the reality. I have no issue with the care homes for older people being the priority group but I’ve just checked and there only are about 1100 care homes with a total of 38000 residents so what’s going on?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They’ve told some GP’s/Pharmacists that they will be removed from the vaccination program and face other potential sanction if they give people their second dose within 12 weeks.

Also talk that some northern areas will have their vaccine allocations halved next week as they're being too efficient at getting them into arms and the rest of the country needs to catch up. 

27 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They’ve told some GP’s/Pharmacists that they will be removed from the vaccination program and face other potential sanction if they give people their second dose within 12 weeks.

Southampton Hospital have had the same instructions.

15 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Also talk that some northern areas will have their vaccine allocations halved next week as they're being too efficient at getting them into arms and the rest of the country needs to catch up. 

Even by their standards that’s some amazing fuzzy logic, you’re just too good at this, stop! 

I read something similar, I think it was they’re not allowing them to move to the next band until all other regions have and throwing supplies at those areas lagging. 

45 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Isnt it supposed to be given within 12 weeks for it to be as effective as possible. Do they just want to single dose everybody so stats look good even though its hugely wasteful and dumb as fuck not to do what the creators have specified.

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

Isnt it supposed to be given within 12 weeks for it to be as effective as possible. Do they just want to single dose everybody so stats look good even though its hugely wasteful and dumb as fuck not to do what the creators have specified.

Bingo! 

One dose provides some immunity, the second pretty much guarantees.

I’m not sure it’s quite as cynical, but it looks like they’re trying to get the first jab done ASAP to raise herd immunity in the general population so we can kickstart the economy. 

The makers have spoken out about this, as did Fauci, before he was slapped down and told not to stoke fear. 

23 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

You’re still getting yours though, right? 

Yeah, mine’s being done locally at a GP surgery round the corner. Well, the first dose. I’ve read you get told the date of dose 2 when you attend for it, but will find out for sure on Saturday.

15 is the point where the £800 fine comes in to play, there are already new laws on gatherings of people outside of permitted social bubbles. 

They could have put it better.

I'd remove the free NHS treatment for every tosser breaking the laws for 12 months for each offence. They are contributing to the overloading of the NHS by their selfish attitude. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Isnt it supposed to be given within 12 weeks for it to be as effective as possible. 

3 weeks on the Pfizer which is being given to everyone I know in the north west who've had the vaccine (up to the end of last week).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _______________ said:

The latest plan (in the news today) a one off payment of £500 for those that test positive. An encouragement to some to catch it and the tories 'herd immunity' plan about to ramp up.

Have the accusations that poor will get it intentionally started yet?