Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 1261 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

2 hours ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Not necessarily. In nature it is very unusual for something to learn how to do something it cannot do, until it has done it once. As an example, a crocodile will not attack anything in the water that is larger than itself as in it's DNA it is programmed to believe it will lose a fight with something bigger. But a crocodile will fight something bigger than itself if it is attacked. If it wins, it now knows that it CAN attack things bigger than itself and it has just become an extremely dangerous animal. But another crocodile seeing thay happen won't believe that it's possible for them. THEY would have to go through that.

So if the virus was dying out, it wouldn't know how to multiply itself. With children, the virus is unable to multiply itself effectively in every child. But it knows how to transmit. So is it possible that a virus has learned that if it cannot perform in it's current host that it will wait until it's within range of another host and transmit?

It's all theories and they all could have their validations and drawbacks.

That's just learned behavior,  a virus mutates rapidly usually through 2 types of mutation (drift or shift) , they change to suit the environment they are in and adapt to that very quickly, this variant is suited to the environment it is in and hence is now the dominant variant, and as such will replicate much quicker giving more offspring and more infected people.

I reckon it's most likely the new variant came about via recombination with either another human or it could be it has mutated via substitution with flu and that's why it can infect cells easier.

If like it is suggested the reason for spread is because it blooms in the throat and nose more than the lungs then it is acting in a more flu like way.

5 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

That's just learned behavior,  a virus mutates rapidly usually through 2 types of mutation (drift or shift) , they change to suit the environment they are in and adapt to that very quickly, this variant is suited to the environment it is in and hence is now the dominant variant, and as such will replicate much quicker giving more offspring and more infected people.

I reckon it's most likely the new variant came about via recombination with either another human or it could be it has mutated via substitution with flu and that's why it can infect cells easier.

If like it is suggested the reason for spread is because it blooms in the throat and nose more than the lungs then it is acting in a more flu like way.

It is also becoming dominant in warm climates... so not sure how that works. I think they have traced it back and identified it mutating while existing for a long time in an immunosuppressed individual. Not sure how the hell they have figured that out either.

Has anyone heard of any elderly relatives being offered the vaccine in the primary care setting yet?  Hearing it's starting to be rolled out in Liverpool this week but only the Pfizer (the "should not wait more than 21 days") one.  Would the elderly even check? Would you check if it was your parent? And what the hell are you meant to do for the best if they currently only offer the Pfizer?

13 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

It is also becoming dominant in warm climates... so not sure how that works. I think they have traced it back and identified it mutating while existing for a long time in an immunosuppressed individual. Not sure how the hell they have figured that out either.

Think they found the 1st sample in Sept that I'm guessing was the immunosuppressed individual... I guess if the person could not shed the virus then it had chance to evolve via adaption (from memory it's the spike protein that carries the most mutations? 7?) and then once this mutated version is out then natural selection does take over.

I did find it odd that the same spike mutations were found in Brazil and SA (both places were the trials were done?)

I know that they found spike mutations in the mink farm problem in Denmark.

I’ve been busy today, but I got the gist he’d said something stupid, but fucking hell.

Totally unfit for a management role in a call centre let alone the highest in office in the land.

Don’t forget that the coronavirus pandemic was the product of an imbalance in man’s relationship with the natural world.

Like the original plague which struck the Greeks I seem to remember in book one of the Iliad, it is a zoonotic disease. It originates from bats or pangolins, from the demented belief that if you grind up the scales of a pangolin you will somehow become more potent or whatever it is people believe, it originates from this collision between mankind and the natural world and we’ve got to stop it.’

Just as we’re cut adrift from the largest trading bloc on the planet, with few friends and a lot of old foes looking to settle decade old scores he says this shit?

Fucking hell.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I’ve been busy today, but I got the gist he’d said something stupid, but fucking hell.

Totally unfit for a management role in a call centre let alone the highest in office in the land.

Don’t forget that the coronavirus pandemic was the product of an imbalance in man’s relationship with the natural world.

Like the original plague which struck the Greeks I seem to remember in book one of the Iliad, it is a zoonotic disease. It originates from bats or pangolins, from the demented belief that if you grind up the scales of a pangolin you will somehow become more potent or whatever it is people believe, it originates from this collision between mankind and the natural world and we’ve got to stop it.’

Just as we’re cut adrift from the largest trading bloc on the planet, with few friends and a lot of old foes looking to settle decade old scores he says this shit?

Fucking hell.

He's actually come out and said that????? 

1 hour ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Wife's mate said her mum has had the first jab and is booked in soon for the second. In her 80's and lives in Fazakerley.

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

To a zoom meeting of world leaders no less!

Man’s an imbecile and a fucking liability.

If someone pressed the button on us I'd have no complaints. 

Her Indoor's mum (aged 92) is getting her jab tomorrow. Follow up is March 31st.

She has to have the Oxford one mind, none of this foreign rubbish.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I give up.

Yeah, it's a bit depressing when realise you live in a country were a significant portion of the population are complete twats. It wasn't always like this, was it? 

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah, it's a bit depressing when realise you live in a country were a significant portion of the population are complete twats. It wasn't always like this, was it? 

Yes it was and always has been, it's just that there wasn't a situation to highlight it like this one has.

Sturgeon to announce new tougher measures tomorrow. Johnson will spend a day or so denying that England will do this or that before announcing we will be doing this and that but a half assed version.

In one.

Should have just called a full lockdown like the one in late March with schools closed until  mid term in Feb, I think people wou,d have reacted well to it, and we wouldnt have more or less  wasted 10 days or so.

Just now, _______________ said:

Sturgeon to announce new tougher measures tomorrow. Johnson will spend a day or so denying that England will do this or that before announcing we will be doing this and that but a half assed version.

How much tougher can they realistically get?

1 hour ago, tokyojoe said:

Her Indoor's mum (aged 92) is getting her jab tomorrow. Follow up is March 31st.

She has to have the Oxford one mind, none of this foreign rubbish.

Do you mind me asking where she's based?  Rough idea, don't need the name of her surgery or anything like that!

Just now, Moo said:

Do you mind me asking where she's based?  Rough idea, don't need the name of her surgery or anything like that!

She's 92 for fuck sake ! 

• Upvote 7

24 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

How much tougher can they realistically get?

As has been pointed out on here, you're limited by the ability to police any restrictions. 

Reports that Scotland will create limits on click and collect shopping and tightening rules on takeaways. No specifics.

While reports are here that they will remove the ability to exercise with a friend from another household and create a 3 metre distancing rule which absolutely nobody will follow and will probably lead to some poor person being run over. They could close nurseries and tighten up the essential worker list for schools after basically loosening it to allow 50% of kids in. 

I would make it so that those people who claim they cannot wear a mask instead have to wear a visor when shopping. 

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Fucking hell.

Posh twerp once again referencing classical Greek literature to try and sound clever but sounding like a posh, out of touch twerp instead.