You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

His response

Yeah just seen that. Quite entertaining this, I'm lost at the people who hate twitter, they dont know what they're missing..

Tories all arguing amongst each other now .. heres Julia Hartley Jam Doh Da ..

3 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Fucking hell. Steve Baker wants an end to the lockdown asap.

Stick the mad cunt in a Covid riden ward and let it rip right through him.

Just want to note that Simon the lead consultant in this is one of the nicest most decent human beings I've ever worked with, it's pish his team are having to go through this. The same is true of Melanie the nurse interviewed on the BBC's piece last night. 

Managed to process and round-up 326 for the vaccine clinic today. Hopefully can get more done next week and start eating into the high risk patients.

I hadn't seen the sky report when I asked about the NHS question earlier, good to see some of the issues on the paediatric side being highlighted to the public.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but he's done a deep delete of loads of tweets from last year. He's only got tweets showing from 2021 onwards, apparently. 

Typical cowardly cunt. Spread the conspiracy theories, influence people to downplay things and act like cunts and then try to delete any trace of your irresponsible cuntery once it's become patently clear that your wild predictions and theories are complete nonsense. 

They really fucking annoy me, these dickheads. They want out of lockdowns etc, but it's their message that is playing a part in us still being in the shitshow mess that we are. 

10 hours ago, sir roger said:

Lib Dems on the Wirral who aren't taking covid seriously you say ?

Well yeah. Although his relative silence and downplaying lately leads me to believe that the penny finally dropped but he just isn’t man enough to admit on this thread how wrong he was. Narcissism you see. 

18 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

This new variant which the government claims is the cause of all the problems we are having now, seems to be quite easily surpressed, according to the latest JoinZoe figures

Not sure a full lockdown is classed as easy suppression?

1 minute ago, Spy Bee said:

It's not really a full lockdown though is it. People still going to parks, supermarkets still busy etc. It's fallen off the edge of a cliff. 

I can only speak for myself and this local area but it’s lockdown round here. Had to get some milk yesterday, hadn’t been out for a few days, it was like a ghost town.

I’d expect restrictions like this to suppress anything.

I told you the school plan was remakably stupid, so stupid even that the regulators refuse to approve it...

World beating money well spent.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/regulator-refuses-to-approve-mass-covid-testing-schools-in-england

'Boris Johnson’s plans to test millions of schoolchildren for coronavirus every week appear to be in disarray after the UK regulator refused to formally approve the daily testing of pupils in England, the Guardian has learned.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) told the government on Tuesday it had not authorised the daily use of 30-minute tests due to concerns that they give people false reassurance if they test negative.

This could lead to pupils staying in school and potentially spreading the virus when they should be self-isolating.

The regulator’s decision undermines a key element of the government’s strategy to bring the pandemic under control – and is bound to raise fresh questions about the tests, and the safety of the schools that have been asked to use them.

Ministers have repeatedly said the use of daily Covid-19 tests is critical to keeping children in education because it means those who test negative can remain in classrooms, instead of whole year-groups having to self-isolate.

Gavin Williamson, the education secretary, described the government’s £78m testing plan as a “major milestone” and said it would mean testing “literally millions of children every single week”.

The initiative is at the centre of the prime minister’s £100bn “Operation Moonshot” mass-testing plan and is already under way in some secondary schools. It was due to expand to primary schools and was then expected to widen to universities and workplaces by the end of January but that now looks highly unlikely.

The government has spent at least £1.5bn on the “lateral flow” devices and they have been used by universities, care homes and hospitals. Ministers announced this week that they would be distributed to all 317 local authorities in England.

However, experts have repeatedly raised concerns about the accuracy of the devices made by Innova.

The tests are specifically designed for use on people with Covid-19 symptoms and are most effective at identifying those with high viral loads, who are the most infectious. They are supposed to be administered only by trained professionals. The government is mainly using the tests on people without symptoms and they are carried out by school staff, meaning their accuracy drops. Official figures from a trial in Liverpool found they missed 30% of people with a high viral load and half of the positive cases detected using a standard nasal swab.

The quick turnaround time means the tests can find positive cases that would not otherwise have come to light. However, many experts are concerned that people who test negative will presume they are safe to get involved in activities with others, or visit vulnerable and elderly people, with some saying this week that they may cause serious harm.

The MHRA is understood to have expressed similar concerns to officials in Matt Hancock’s Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) on Tuesday, a week after the rollout began in secondary schools. Sources said the regulator made clear that it had not given the green light to the daily use of these tests on pupils who would otherwise have to self-isolate. Prof Jon Deeks, a biostatistician of the University of Birmingham and Royal Statistical Society, described the use of rapid tests in this context as “ridiculous and dangerous” and welcomed the MHRA’s stance. He said: “It is really important that we have confidence in the safety and effectiveness of tests for Covid-19 and all other diseases - this is the responsibility of our regulator. “This clarification of the unsuitability of lateral flow tests for saying people are not infected with SARS-CoV-2 from the MHRA demonstrates that they are taking their responsibility seriously to ensure that tests are used in a safe way. “The government needs to take greater care in ensuring they evaluate the potential harms as well as the benefit of all their mass testing proposals.”

The decision is a another setback for the prime minister’s mass-testing plan and raises questions about the proposed full return of schools after the February half-term, which is partly dependent on the availability of serial testing. The government could apply for an exceptional use authorisation from the MHRA but this would take time and it is far from clear that it would be approved. Any further distribution of the daily tests may also be on the condition that people are warned more explicitly about the risks, instead of a negative result being presented as a “green light” that they are Covid-free.'

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I can only speak for myself and this local area but it’s lockdown round here. Had to get some milk yesterday, hadn’t been out for a few days, it was like a ghost town.

I’d expect restrictions like this to suppress anything.

Not like that by me. I'm in work every day, and it's by no means business as usual, but there are plenty of people driving and walking around. The corner shops and food places (takeaway) seem busy too. Parks seem full of parents and kids most of the time too.

2 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Not like that by me. I'm in work every day, and it's by no means business as usual, but there are plenty of people driving and walking around. The corner shops and food places (takeaway) seem busy too. Parks seem full of parents and kids most of the time too.

Roads are heaving when I drop the Mrs and pick her up. Shops quite busy too. There's no queueing like there was in March.

5 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Same, not quite business as usual but not far off it re: people in shops/parks/streets etc

Obviously a lot of things are closed, so there's that, but it's nowhere near as calm as the first lock down. Not even close.