Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 1258 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

11 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yep - it will give folks enough confidence to go about their business and should be enough to get the gubmints off the hook. In this way it will be comparable to the flu.

It's enough to bring infections right down to the point of being able to properly track and trace small outbreaks with testing now much more widely is use.  

I'm confident on getting there now, just depends on the speed of the rollout.  

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Just to show how little employers care, was off work from March to August and from mid Dec to today to observe lockdowns and now today I learned that my job has now conveniently been deemed essential to get people who do what I do back to work despite the fact cases are higher than they've ever been in my area. I'd never even heard the word "essential" before today. 

Yeah I'm hearing a lot of that.

Also, hearing loads of stories of people going about their business while they wait for results - either people aren't, can't or won't isolate waiting for a result.

No wonder it's spreading like wild fire.

2 hours ago, SilverSong said:

Mrs Song works in care sector for vulnerable adults. Twice a week they do PCR test* and lateral flow* at start of every shift. She's just been told they now need to do lateral flow in own time on non-shift days. The logic seems to be get tested everyday.

* I might have the technical terms wrong. I basically mean slow result and fast result.

Doesn't the lateral flow have something like a 57% success rate? People are getting negative results when they're positive (like I did). 

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Doesn't the lateral flow have something like a 57% success rate? People are getting negative results when they're positive (like I did). 

I actually thought it gave a high level of false positives. Mayhaps its just the opposite test.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Mostly Tory voters I bet. The excuses these morons make for Johnson and  his useless cabinet is ridiculous. I lay the blame firmly at Johnson's door and I expect to see this cunt and his entire cabinet in front of a judge and jury in the not-too-distant future.

8 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Mostly Tory voters I bet. The excuses these morons make for Johnson and  his useless cabinet is ridiculous. I lay the blame firmly at Johnson's door and I expect to see this cunt and his entire cabinet in front of a judge and jury in the not-too-distant future.

Not really surprising given the Tory belief in personal responsibility for everything, including things beyond your control. Headlines showing packed beaches and illegal parties have also helped sway that opinion (though the tide is turning a little with the admission that keeping schools fully open was a big factor in the spread). 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/quarter-of-covid-hospital-admissions-in-england-aged-under-55/ar-BB1cEEZS

Sir Simon Stevens told MPs on Monday the virus was spreading out of control across much of the country, with worrying consequences for hospitals.

“In London perhaps one in 30 people has the coronavirus, in parts of London it may be twice that number. In Merseyside in just the last week there has been a further 50% increase in the number of Covid hospitalisations,” he said.

“It’s worth remembering that this affects all ages – a quarter of the Covid admissions to hospital right now are for people aged under 55.”

His comments came as data showed the youngest person with no known underlying conditions whose death from Covid-19 was reported in the last 24 hours was aged 26.

5 minutes ago, _______________ said:

His comments came as data showed the youngest person with no known underlying conditions whose death from Covid-19 was reported in the last 24 hours was aged 26.

That is really fucking terrifying. 

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That is really fucking terrifying. 

My gut feeling is that this new variant is more dangerous than they are letting on. If that is the case then should make it known immediately. 

9 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

My gut feeling is that this new variant is more dangerous than they are letting on. If that is the case then should make it known immediately. 

Even if it's mortality rate is the same %, the fact it transmits 55% more effectively means it could more the R-rate above 1, meaning exponential growth again, and therefore infinitely worse.

There is no evidence these new variants are more dangerous, other than that they're possibly more infectious. And then, the more cases there are, the more young deaths you get, and the more hospitals may give spots to younger people, as opposed to older if space is running out.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I appreciate that is the most likely option.  Stories that have come out over the last few weeks, particularly the one about the two Newcastle players being really ill with it have made me question it a bit more.