You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Surely its viral load. Young doctors were getting it bad. Maybe if your contact with the virus is limited the symptoms aren't as bad but if you are in an environment full of covid for a long time it fucks you up. Who knows. All I know is I caught it but it could only of been slight contact because me and my missus follow the rules and my symptoms where near none existent as were hers. Maybe its different strands, fuck knows its weird.

I didn't think I'd had Covid myself, my son definitely had it early on though. 

But at the start of October I had some quite bad PoTS symptoms and although the last few months of tests have ruled out my heart, and the worst of the symptoms have declined. I'm still not fully recovered. 

Bastard of a virus that we will only really begin to see the real results from once we have it under some sort of control I suppose. Many long term or shorter term effects that are only now just coming to light. 

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid19-and-pots-is-there-a-link

Postural tachycardia syndrome (PoTS) is an abnormal increase in heart rate that occurs after sitting up or standing. Some typical symptoms include dizziness and fainting.

Your doctor will first try to rule out other complications. “We are being very careful with regard to diagnosing our patients with POTS, as we know COVID-19 can cause blood clots or scars in the lungs, which can cause similar symptoms as POTS but would require very different treatment,” explains Chung.

As with any viral infection, COVID-19 can temporarily worsen POTS symptoms, which could make recovery harder. Because this is a new disease, the long-term effects of COVID-19 in patients with POTS are not well known.

1 hour ago, _______________ said:

I didn't think I'd had Covid myself, my son definitely had it early on though. 

But at the start of October I had some quite bad PoTS symptoms and although the last few months of tests have ruled out my heart, and the worst of the symptoms have declined. I'm still not fully recovered. 

Bastard of a virus that we will only really begin to see the real results from once we have it under some sort of control I suppose. Many long term or shorter term effects that are only now just coming to light. 

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/covid19-and-pots-is-there-a-link

Postural tachycardia syndrome (PoTS) is an abnormal increase in heart rate that occurs after sitting up or standing. Some typical symptoms include dizziness and fainting.

No mate, it's just flu, all those doctors are clearly wrong.

Joking aside, 3 weeks on I've still got chest/breath issues. Don't know what to make of it all. 

Potential new treatment using inhaled Interferon Beta. It looks promising in the small scale trial they've done, although there's the usual caveats-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55639096

Covid: Large trial of new treatment begins in UK

A large-scale trial of a new treatment it is hoped will help stop Covid-19 patients from developing severe illness has begun in the UK.

The first patient received the treatment at Hull Royal Infirmary on Tuesday afternoon.

It involves inhaling a protein called interferon beta which the body produces when it gets a viral infection.

The hope is it will stimulate the immune system, priming cells to be ready to fight off viruses.

Early findings suggested the treatment cut the odds of a Covid-19 patient in hospital developing severe disease - such as requiring ventilation - by almost 80%.

It was developed at Southampton University Hospital and is being produced by the Southampton-based biotech company, Synairgen.

A course of treatment with the new drug could cost around £2,000, which is not that expensive for a hospital treatment.

"To be viable it will have to represent good value for money," Synairgen's chief executive Richard Marsden said.

Covid: UK at 'worst point' of pandemic, says Hancock
Two more life-saving Covid drugs discovered
Alexandra Constantin, 34, was the first person to receive the treatment as part of this new trial, after she was admitted to the hospital with coronavirus on Monday.

She has a young daughter at home she is desperate to get back to.

Demonstrating the treatment, the nurse handed her a nebuliser that makes the drug into a fine mist, which Alexandra inhaled as deep into her lungs as she could.

Interferon beta is part of the body's first line of defence against viruses, warning it to expect a viral attack.

The coronavirus seems to suppress its production as part of its strategy to evade our immune systems.

The new drug is a special formulation of interferon beta delivered directly to the airways via a nebuliser which makes the protein into an aerosol.

The idea is that a direct dose of the protein in the lungs will trigger a stronger anti-viral response, even in patients whose immune systems are already weak.

Interferon beta is commonly used in the treatment of multiple sclerosis.

Previous clinical trials conducted by Synairgen have shown that it can stimulate an immune response and that patients with asthma and other chronic lung conditions can comfortably tolerate the treatment.

2px presentational grey line
The results of a smaller, phase two clinical trial of the treatment conducted last year were promising.

It suggested the chances of a Covid-19 patient in hospital getting severe disease - requiring ventilation, for example - were reduced by almost 80%.

Patients were two to three times more likely to recover to the point where everyday activities were not compromised by their illness, Synairgen claimed.

It said the trial also indicated "very significant" reductions in breathlessness among patients who received the treatment.

In addition, the average time patients spent in hospital is said to have been reduced by a third, for those receiving the new drug - down from an average of nine days to six days.

But the trial was small, just 100 patients, and more testing is needed before it can be authorised for use.

This new "phase three" trial is much larger. It will involve more than 600 patients in 20 countries.

As in the earlier trial, half the participants will be given the drug, the other half will get what is known as a placebo - an inactive substance.

The team running the trial say they hope it will be completed by early summer.

If the results are anywhere near as good as in the earlier trial, they expect authorisation for the drug to be used in patients in the UK and other countries to follow shortly afterwards.

"If we had a positive study, we would hope to move rapidly into scaled manufacture and delivery of the drug in clinical practice," said Prof Tom Wilkinson, of the University of Southampton, who is overseeing the trial.

He added that he believes the new drug - if it proves effective - will be a complement to the vaccines that are being rolled out.

He also pointed out it would take a long time for the whole world to be vaccinated. There will need to be treatments for people who miss out on vaccination or choose not to get the jab.

There is also the risk the virus mutates and vaccines become less effective - meaning people begin to develop the disease again.

The treatment is the result of the discovery by a team from Southampton University that people with lung diseases such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) often had low levels of interferon beta.

"We thought why not boost patients' interferon beta levels by getting them to inhale the protein," Prof Donna Davies, who was part of that team, said.

She said research has now shown that Covid-19 can suppress the interferon beta response. But experts warn that drugs often do not live up to the promise of early trials.

"This is exciting, but we have to see what the phase three results show," says Dr Lamis Latif, a south London GP who has been working in emergency care with Covid-19 patients.

"We've had other drugs in similar circumstances, we've had hydroxychloroquine, for example, but again, when that reached further trials, it wasn't as promising as it initially made up to be.

"So that's something to really take note for this current drug."

2 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

That silly floppy haired cunt Johnson really fucked up with his "herd immunity" approach didn't he. 

How he's been let away with this I'll never know... 

Was reading the other day that a fair few of the advocates of herd immunity have been deleting all their tweets which mention that position. Twats. 

My ma had the Pfizer vaccine about a week ago. She works for a public health charity and got it though a work scheme. Got it in Townsend Avenue near our ground.

The government need to really step up the vaccine programme now. If not 24 hours, do it up to about 11 or midnight. They say there's no "clamour" for round the clock vaccination but I've seen and heard loads of people saying that they'd happily get it after hours. People queue in the dark for limited edition trainers and the new iPhone. They'll do the same for a potentially life saving vaccine, surely? 

That the government seem reluctant to increase the hours in which the vaccination is administered is typical of their half-hearted approach to the virus. It makes me wonder if there are supply/staffing issues which they're trying to hide and which would be highlighted if the hours were increased?

Just get it sorted! 

21 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

No mate, it's just flu, all those doctors are clearly wrong.

Joking aside, 3 weeks on I've still got chest/breath issues. Don't know what to make of it all. 

I had it in October mate and my chest is still fucked. Its getting gradually better but sometimes I feel myself almost gasping for air. It is meant to linger for a few months after so it's not abnormal mate. My missus still hasn't fully got her smell or taste back. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I had it in October mate and my chest is still fucked. Its getting gradually better but sometimes I feel myself almost gasping for air. It is meant to linger for a few months after so it's not abnormal mate. My missus still hasn't fully got her smell or taste back. 

Would be "every cloud" for someone of my carriage.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Fairly interesting info coming out from a study in Israel which indicates that the Pfizer vaccine may reduce Covid infection/transmission. 

I can't find any deep dives into the study, only limited reports. But, promising news, if it's accurate. 

Some banter on GMTV this morning from Hancock saying the Oxford vaccines stops 'transmission' by 80% and provides '100%' protection against serious illness. If that's legit, then that is - and I hate this phrase - a game changer. 

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Some banter on GMTV this morning from Hancock saying the Oxford vaccines stops 'transmission' by 80% and provides '100%' protection against serious illness. If that's legit, then that is - and I hate this phrase - a game changer. 

It's Hancock, he's probably missed a decimal point.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The sample size of these tests is quite small, but he is correct.

Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine Phase 2 trials 56-day gap Phase 3 trials https://www.thelancet.com/journals/la... Good immunity with 6-week gap https://www.thelancet.com/journals/la... Efficacy after one dose, 64% Efficacy after 2 doses, 70 – 80% Cases, 21 days after first SD, 64% Vaccine group, 51 Control group, 141 Efficacy 64% Severe cases 21 days after the first dose of Oxford / AZ Vaccine group, 0 Control group, 10 hospitalised (2 severe, 1 death)

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Has anyone seen any research around why some people are getting really ill and some are asymptomatic? Surely that's the key to ending this. Can't think of another virus like that, to that extent anyway.

The virus as I understand it is not recognised as a threat by the immune system. Red blood cells will transport the virus through the body to the organs that have ACE2 receptors and the white blood cells verify that all is working as it should.

The symptoms begin when the white blood cells recognise that there is something wrong with the red blood cells and command the immune system to attack the intruders. The more organs the red blood cells have transported the virus to, the heavier the symptoms. The most vulnerable organs with ACE2 receptors are heart and lungs. The vaccine is designed to trigger an immune response as soon as the body recognises covid-19 as an intruder. 

The best time for the immune system to recognise it is at the beginning or not at all. If it's never recognised, there will be no symptoms and the virus either dies out eventually (hopefully) or passes on to others.

EDIT: in the most sever cases this immune response results in the cykadine (could be misspelt) storm - this is the bodies immune response overwhelming the body and is the same principle as most other pandemic viruses. The main difference is how contagious this one is.

Nicola Sturgeon tells MSPs: “Firstly, we intend to limit the availability and operation of click and collect services.

“Only retailers selling essential items will be allowed to offer click and collect. This will include, for example, clothes and footwear, baby equipment, homeware and books. All other click and collect services must stop.

“More importantly, for click and collect services that are allowed, staggered appointments will need to be offered to avoid any potential for queuing, and access inside premises for collection will not be permitted.”

Nicola Sturgeon tells MSPs: “Customers will no longer be permitted to go inside to collect takeaway food or coffee. Any outlet wishing to offer takeaway will have to do so from a serving hatch or doorway. “

The First Minister has tightened the rules on tradesmen and women entering private homes during lockdown.

She said: “We will strengthen the provisions in relation to work inside people’s houses. 

“We have already issued guidance to the effect that in level 4 areas work is only permitted within a private dwelling if it is essential for the upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household. We will now put this guidance into law.”