You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Mostly Tory voters I bet. The excuses these morons make for Johnson and  his useless cabinet is ridiculous. I lay the blame firmly at Johnson's door and I expect to see this cunt and his entire cabinet in front of a judge and jury in the not-too-distant future.

Not really surprising given the Tory belief in personal responsibility for everything, including things beyond your control. Headlines showing packed beaches and illegal parties have also helped sway that opinion (though the tide is turning a little with the admission that keeping schools fully open was a big factor in the spread). 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/quarter-of-covid-hospital-admissions-in-england-aged-under-55/ar-BB1cEEZS

Sir Simon Stevens told MPs on Monday the virus was spreading out of control across much of the country, with worrying consequences for hospitals.

“In London perhaps one in 30 people has the coronavirus, in parts of London it may be twice that number. In Merseyside in just the last week there has been a further 50% increase in the number of Covid hospitalisations,” he said.

“It’s worth remembering that this affects all ages – a quarter of the Covid admissions to hospital right now are for people aged under 55.”

His comments came as data showed the youngest person with no known underlying conditions whose death from Covid-19 was reported in the last 24 hours was aged 26.

5 minutes ago, _______________ said:

His comments came as data showed the youngest person with no known underlying conditions whose death from Covid-19 was reported in the last 24 hours was aged 26.

That is really fucking terrifying. 

9 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

My gut feeling is that this new variant is more dangerous than they are letting on. If that is the case then should make it known immediately. 

Even if it's mortality rate is the same %, the fact it transmits 55% more effectively means it could more the R-rate above 1, meaning exponential growth again, and therefore infinitely worse.

There is no evidence these new variants are more dangerous, other than that they're possibly more infectious. And then, the more cases there are, the more young deaths you get, and the more hospitals may give spots to younger people, as opposed to older if space is running out.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There is no evidence these new variants are more dangerous, other than that they're possibly more infectious. And then, the more cases there are, the more young deaths you get, and the more hospitals may give spots to younger people, as opposed to older if space is running out.

I think I heard a scientist last week say that virus’ lose potency if they mutate to be more transmissible. If they become deadlier then the host dies before it gets chance to be passed on. He used Ebola as an example.  It’s quite hard to catch, but once you’ve got it you’re shitting kidneys in a couple of days. 

10 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

As an aside does anybody follow Peter Hitchens on Twitter? I mean I’m all for healthy scepticism but fucking hell imagine being that contrary and paranoid, it must be exhausting.

He must have a massive chip on his shoulder as his brother was so much better than him in every way.

Privately flying in tennis players for the Australian Open.

Confined to their quarantine hotel rooms when not playing.

Ordinary Australians, of course, still stuck overseas and being bumped off their flights daily, often time and time again.

Money changes everything.

What a wonderful world.

• Upvote 3

I know a couple and both their mums are in ICU, both unlikely to make it. I know a lot of people who have had it and have just felt mildly lethargic, or have only lost their taste and nothing else. It's a weird virus.

I know there will be a load of people who want to say "I told you so" to me, and that's fair enough. What I would say, is that if you aren't questioning everything that comes out of the mouths of this government and everything that is published in the mainstream media, you haven't been paying attention.

The cronyism and outright corruption involved in PPE contracts, the huge sums of money given away for a track & trace system that has never worked etc. No wonder people were questioning the narrative. They have profiteered at the cost of lives. 

As an aside, my missus gets her vaccine today, even though not one carer who works for my sister has had it. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I know a couple and both their mums are in ICU, both unlikely to make it. I know a lot of people who have had it and have just felt mildly lethargic, or have only lost their taste and nothing else. It's a weird virus.

I know there will be a load of people who want to say "I told you so" to me, and that's fair enough. What I would say, is that if you aren't questioning everything that comes out of the mouths of this government and everything that is published in the mainstream media, you haven't been paying attention.

The cronyism and outright corruption involved in PPE contracts, the huge sums of money given away for a track & trace system that has never worked etc. No wonder people were questioning the narrative. They have profiteered at the cost of lives. 

As an aside, my missus gets her vaccine today, even though not one carer who works for my sister has had it. 

Why would anyone distributing vaccines take that into account? 

14 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I don’t think you could accuse this forum of not holding the Tories to account on the things you mentioned.

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think you could accuse this forum of not holding the Tories to account on the things you mentioned.

Exactly. There is a significant difference between doubting the veracity of everything the government says and doubting the veracity of a wealth of scientific and anecdotal evidence from across the world.

• Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

"I was wrong, but in my defence, if you weren't regurgitating the contrary pseudo science with me, then you are a sheep that's not paying attention"

"This apple fell on my head and... hey, listen to me you cunts!!!"

"Call it a vegetative orb, Isaac, and we might be interested."

• Upvote 1

Maybe should have worded it differently. I'm saying that I feel not believing the governments narrative is understandable. As for scientists, then there were many views and they were embellished and portrayed by media in different ways. citation:https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4425

Things weren't making much sense for a long time. Their messaging was absolutely shite and continues to be so. It would have been far more sensible to treat people as adults. Explain what were known to be facts, where there was doubt etc. 

I've literally never heard the word penitent before. Excellent word.

Science by nature has a range of different views. Governments will be advised by who they deem to be the experts in their given field. The scientists will make mistakes and get things wrong at times but in most cases you can be sure that they have no hidden political agenda and that their advice is evidence-based.

The scientists aren’t responsible for overall messaging, that’s the governments job.

When you read between the lines, the government have actually done less than advised by the scientists and always done it too late.

The real scandal here is that the strategy from the start should have been elimination.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I've repped you for at least acknowledging you got things wrong. No harm in getting anything wrong. I've said all along, nobody in the world knows the reality of this. 

This new strain seems a lot worse than the previous one. This feels like ground zero right now. It's awful.