You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

17 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

It's definitely a reason, but I think people just being exhausted/fed up and not giving a fuck any more is a bigger reason. Parks, shops and pretty much anywhere that's open are as busy as normal here.

I don't disagree, I would say they are linked to an extent. This has gone on a long time and fatigue sets in. The problem now, is 6 weeks of this and come April there will probably be a need for another increase in lock down, so what is the point ?

If we lockdown harder for shorter more people would hopefully follow the rules, seeing the end, but we need to support people for that.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I don't disagree, I would say they are linked to an extent. This has gone on a long time and fatigue sets in. The problem now, is 6 weeks of this and come April there will probably be a need for another increase in lock down, so what is the point ?

If we lockdown harder for shorter more people would hopefully follow the rules, seeing the end, but we need to support people for that.

Agreed, a proper strict lockdown for a month should help. That includes stopping incoming flights. It's baffling to me that we are supposedly in a lockdown yet thousands of people are coming into the UK each day. How the hell are you supposed to stop local transmission if you are letting in countless infected people each day? Does not make sense.

Shut everything down for a whole month including nurseries, airports etc. except the absolute essential places, and you'll see a decline in the number of infections. Hopefully the vaccines will do the job and we can beat this thing by the end of the year. Yes, I fully expect this fucking thing to keep plaguing us for the next year or so. 

11 hours ago, Brownie said:

You mean the fact that there’s no staff for them?

What a mess. It’s the whole “stay at home - look what you’re doing to the NHS” line, totally deflecting away from how they’ve fucked up the contingency plan. If it was ever more than a face value scheme. Such fucking cunts.

Am I right in thinking a lot of BUPA and other private healthcare professionals are actually just NHS personnel anyway, so there isn’t a pool to tap into there? Or is that bollocks?

2 minutes ago, belarus said:

What a mess. It’s the whole “stay at home - look what you’re doing to the NHS” line, totally deflecting away from how they’ve fucked up the contingency plan. If it was ever more than a face value scheme. Such fucking cunts.

Am I right in thinking a lot of BUPA and other private healthcare professionals are actually just NHS personnel anyway, so there isn’t a pool to tap into there? Or is that bollocks?

I think some moonlight with private clinics and the like but they definitely have their own full time staff though too. Lot of nurses head that way when they've had enough.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/11/calls-to-escalate-english-lockdown-amid-fears-one-in-five-may-have-had-covid

"Hancock said that he expected the government to be able to ease restrictions in the spring but he refused to spell out exactly when he considered spring to be over."

They get to decide seasons now?

Just to show how little employers care, was off work from March to August and from mid Dec to today to observe lockdowns and now today I learned that my job has now conveniently been deemed essential to get people who do what I do back to work despite the fact cases are higher than they've ever been in my area. I'd never even heard the word "essential" before today. 

Mrs Song works in care sector for vulnerable adults. Twice a week they do PCR test* and lateral flow* at start of every shift. She's just been told they now need to do lateral flow in own time on non-shift days. The logic seems to be get tested everyday.

* I might have the technical terms wrong. I basically mean slow result and fast result.

11 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yep - it will give folks enough confidence to go about their business and should be enough to get the gubmints off the hook. In this way it will be comparable to the flu.

It's enough to bring infections right down to the point of being able to properly track and trace small outbreaks with testing now much more widely is use.  

I'm confident on getting there now, just depends on the speed of the rollout.  

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Just to show how little employers care, was off work from March to August and from mid Dec to today to observe lockdowns and now today I learned that my job has now conveniently been deemed essential to get people who do what I do back to work despite the fact cases are higher than they've ever been in my area. I'd never even heard the word "essential" before today. 

Yeah I'm hearing a lot of that.

Also, hearing loads of stories of people going about their business while they wait for results - either people aren't, can't or won't isolate waiting for a result.

No wonder it's spreading like wild fire.

2 hours ago, SilverSong said:

Mrs Song works in care sector for vulnerable adults. Twice a week they do PCR test* and lateral flow* at start of every shift. She's just been told they now need to do lateral flow in own time on non-shift days. The logic seems to be get tested everyday.

* I might have the technical terms wrong. I basically mean slow result and fast result.

Doesn't the lateral flow have something like a 57% success rate? People are getting negative results when they're positive (like I did). 

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

Mostly Tory voters I bet. The excuses these morons make for Johnson and  his useless cabinet is ridiculous. I lay the blame firmly at Johnson's door and I expect to see this cunt and his entire cabinet in front of a judge and jury in the not-too-distant future.