You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

It should be supplied by the government.

Still, the idea of free fast broadband for all is such a Commie notion.

Just wait until the Tories come up with the brilliantly original idea of free fast broadband, everyone will be astounded that no one thought of it before.

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

We've had all sorts apply similar to that.  We've been strict saying if there is a parent at home then we won't take them, but we can't limit numbers. We're relying on the honesty and goodwill of the public which is in short supply at the moment.

We do, of course, have children who have two parents who are key workers and our vulnerable or SEN children coming in as school is the best place for them. You just know that there are some people taking the piss because they can't be bothered. 

Mrs' school has been taking food to families which they're paying for out of their own budget, teachers taking time out of school to physically drive around dropping stuff off, one woman opened the door and said "where's my fucking voucher? Take that shit away."

Nice touch.

Was chatting to someone who was on a zoom call with a load of heads and says there's real pressure being put on by parents to take kids, one has 75% attendance, which is utterly fucked up.

This is the thing that always worried me when this pandemic started, not the virus itself but how our society would react. People will clap for carers purely for show but happily run over a paramedic to get the last big roll as long as nobody's looking.

Successive governments have created a feel that teachers, hospital staff etc are a service and we're customers (read a thing a while ago that that's why 999 calls had gone up in recent years, because people wanted a door to door service form an ambulance because they pays their taxes). 

Cunts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

It should be supplied by the government.

Still, the idea of free fast broadband for all is such a Commie notion.

Yeah but they don’t, so in the situation we currently have, as opposed to the one we don’t, there’s no other choice.

22 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

When you've got covid they constantly phone you up. I spoke to them about 8 times and have at least 20 missed calls. Girl phoned me yesterday said hello am I okay and that was it.

They rang me at 8am one day. I'm not up that early when I'm well. 

Mate of my sister got it as did her 3 kids she said she was never off the phone to them 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Mrs' school has been taking food to families which they're paying for out of their own budget, teachers taking time out of school to physically drive around dropping stuff off, one woman opened the door and said "where's my fucking voucher? Take that shit away."

Nice touch.

Was chatting to someone who was on a zoom call with a load of heads and says there's real pressure being put on by parents to take kids, one has 75% attendance, which is utterly fucked up.

This is the thing that always worried me when this pandemic started, not the virus itself but how our society would react. People will clap for carers purely for show but happily run over a paramedic to get the last big roll as long as nobody's looking.

Successive governments have created a feel that teachers, hospital staff etc are a service and we're customers (read a thing a while ago that that's why 999 calls had gone up in recent years, because people wanted a door to door service form an ambulance because they pays their taxes). 

Cunts.

Good will for teachers has been eroded for a while.  You'd think it would be higher after they realised how hard it is. 

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

What a situation we are in now, eh. Teachers and parents calling each other cunts.

Divide and conquer.

As a teacher, I don't think the parents are cunts. I think there's a big percentage who are used to delegating a lot of parenting to teachers. We show them how to wash their hands, tie their laces, zip their coats, show them what a healthy meal looks like, look out for their mental well-being and engage with them. We always have time for them in school, never too busy watching telly, on our phones or working. On top of that we educate them. During lockdown they had to do all of the above and it's fucking hard going. Sadly, some people can't and some people won't be prepared to do that, hence the volume of children in schools during this lockdown. 

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

We got a letter from Skids Jr's school saying that they had over 150 kids in the school and that up to an additional 200 parents were claiming that they were key workers. So the school have basically said fuck off lying and as the rate is 126.0 in Childwall they wont be taking any more unless. 

My lad was offered a place as he is on the SENCO register, but we said no. My daughter is still in nursery for two days a week so we can at least get some work done and my lad can get some home schooling. It's not ideal but just how we got to work it to make it work. 

There is a fella in the firm I am working witj at the moment who has got his kids in school. He, like me works in the Adult Education game in Business Delivery (sales basically) he's got his kids in school as him and his missus work in Education. She's an admin at a college and he's a shit sales rep. Absolute chancers who are taking the piss. 

The school where my missus works require a letter from the parents employer to prove that they are a key worker.

It's ridiculous it has come to that but like you say, people are taking the piss.

Hard to argue with his conclusions. As soon as they have vaccinated the most vulnerable and deaths drops they won’t give a fuck about anyone else, long covid etc...

Deaths will drop and the usual suspects in the press will give them the cover they need to lift restrictions. I hadn’t seen that quote by Hancock before in the penultimate tweet but it’s pretty clear where this is heading. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Hard to argue with his conclusions. As soon as they have vaccinated the most vulnerable and deaths drops they won’t give a fuck about anyone else, long covid etc...

Deaths will drop and the usual suspects in the press will give them the cover they need to lift restrictions. I hadn’t seen that quote by Hancock before in the penultimate tweet but it’s pretty clear where this is heading. 

Absolutely says it all, this...

On present figures, it’s a stretch. The first month of vaccination has covered just over a million people — far off the two million jabs a week needed to reach the target. But Hancock says the past is no guide to the future: ‘People who currently look at our weekly run rate and then cast that forward by 42 days are obviously making a mistake,’ he says. ‘Each day we’re adding more vaccination centres. So it’s like building more houses in Monopoly, you get more and more sources of income in Monopoly.’

38 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Fucking hell, didn’t realise Ireland was so bad. 

We were in lockdown until Dec 1st,  it was essentially sold as get the numbers down to rock bottom in this 6 weeks (mid Oct to Nov 31st) and we can open up and have good Christmas. It was certainly taken that way, restaurants and pubs were back open for  a short while and obviously Christmas Day saw people meeting up for the first time in months. It was very predicable although I don’t think anyone thought it would be this bad. The numbers are off the scale but hospitalisation and deaths haven't caught up yet.

• Upvote 1