You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

15 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Some quite positive stuff from the head of medicine at Oxford just then, saying things will be a lot better by Easter and expects two more vaccines to be on stream by the end of the month.

I think we’re now at the point where science has bailed them out and they can’t, within reason, fuck this up.

Obviously they’re still going to try, but I think it’s at the point now where it’s in-spite of them and not because of them. The adults have effectively come through.

They’ll still take all of the credit and are bound to make more fuck ups and ensure their mates get paid though. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think we’re now at the point where science has bailed them out and they can’t, within reason, fuck this up.

Obviously they’re still going to try, but I think it’s at the point now where it’s in-spite of them and not because of them. The adults have effectively come through.

They’ll still take all of the credit though and are bound to make more fuck ups and ensure their mates get paid though. 

I've mentioned before but there's a bit in Orwell's why I write where he talks about the class system and says British wars are always characterized by a series of early disasters until the top brass, who usually aren't there due to their ability (the Boris Johnsons if you will), are gradually moved aside for more capable people to sort their shit out.

• Upvote 1

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-patients-to-receive-life-saving-covid-19-treatments-that-could-cut-hospital-time-by-10-days

NHS patients to receive life-saving COVID-19 treatments that could cut hospital time by 10 days

Clinical trial results show the drugs reduce risk of death by 24% for critically ill patients and time spent in intensive care by up to 10 days.

Patients across the UK who are admitted to intensive care units due to COVID-19 are set to receive new life-saving treatments which can reduce the time spent in hospital by up to 10 days, the government has announced today (Thursday 7 January).

Results from the government-funded REMAP-CAP clinical trial published today showed tocilizumab and sarilumab reduced the relative risk of death by 24%, when administered to patients within 24 hours of entering intensive care.

Most of the data came from when the drugs were administered in addition to a corticosteroid, such as dexamethasone – also discovered through government-backed research through the RECOVERY clinical trial – which is already provided as standard of care to the NHS.

Patients receiving these drugs, typically used to treat rheumatoid arthritis, left intensive care between 7 to 10 days earlier on average. The rollout of these treatments could therefore contribute significantly towards reducing pressures on hospitals over the coming weeks and months.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Some quite positive stuff from the head of medicine at Oxford just then, saying things will be a lot better by Easter and expects two more vaccines to be on stream by the end of the month.

Did he say if Reese's will be bringing their Reese's Eggs out again? They're fucking amazing.

image.png

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

14 kids in the wife's class today. That's just one class, not the school.

As well as teaching the kids in the class, she's also supposed to be home teaching the other 16 kids at the same time. 

Another well thought out government decision. 

Not here is it? Posh twats.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/complaints-parents-falsely-claiming-key-19578021

I went on a bike ride today, just pottering about and trying not to go mad.

I passed a primary school at closing time and there we're loads of kids coming out and dozens of parents hanging around, playgrounds full. I don't know what the solution is, but this isn't right.

I also saw bunches of school kids outside when they should be having 'virtual lessons', adults stood around in the street drinking wine, with fucking glasses! Large groups just having a chat in the street, builders hudling together.

London isn't as busy, but there's still loads here who don't give a fuck.

I’ve just had a positive test, confirming suspicions I’ve held for a while. All I’ll say at the moment is don’t for a second think you can’t have it if you’re unwell without any of the listed symptoms and definitely don’t assume you’re fine and non-contagious as soon as 10 days pass, despite what certain governments like to insist. Not been an enjoyable time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, TheDrowningMan said:

I’ve just had a positive test, confirming suspicions I’ve held for a while. All I’ll say at the moment is don’t for a second think you can’t have it if you’re unwell without any of the listed symptoms and definitely don’t assume you’re fine and non-contagious as soon as 10 days pass, despite what certain governments like to insist. Not been an enjoyable time.

How did you differentiate between this and your usual sunshine disposition?

Get well soon!

2 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Get well soon fella 

16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I passed a primary school at closing time and there we're loads of kids coming out and dozens of parents hanging around, playgrounds full. I don't know what the solution is, but this isn't right.

I also saw bunches of school kids outside when they should be having 'virtual lessons', adults stood around in the street drinking wine, with fucking glasses! Large groups just having a chat in the street, builders hudling together.

London isn't as busy, but there's still loads here who don't give a fuck.

(This, ladies and gentlemen, is how to establish an alibi) 

• Upvote 9

12 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Good luck mate.

19 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Problem is, not nearly as many companies are doing the furlough scheme, so people have to work (for example Jaguar Land Rover have said they're a Critical service so workers still have to go in - not sure building fancy expensive cars is critical myself but anyway). 

My wife is teaching full time, which means I'd be stuck at home with a 3 and a 7 year old. There's no way I'd be able to do my job, teach two very different aged kids, look after them, keep them occupied for 8 hours. I had a 2 hour team meeting this morning - what would the kids so while I was on that? 

So they're both in nursery/school.

Like you say, don't know what the solution is. 

The department for education have finally released their lockdown guidance this afternoon

1)there is no limit on numbers in each class - 'schools should not limit attendance’

2) schools are safe

3) online teaching has increased from 3 hrs a day to 4 hrs a day

4) all nursery settings (both school and private) should remain fully operational

And in other news ... ofsted monitoring inspections will begin as of now.

And the media have all run stories today on how ‘a lack of devices or quiet working space’ qualifies a child as vulnerable and therefore a place in school. 

Might as well open the pubs and shops. 

13 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The department for education have finally released their lockdown guidance this afternoon

1)there is no limit on numbers in each class - 'schools should not limit attendance’

2) schools are safe

3) online teaching has increased from 3 hrs a day to 4 hrs a day

4) all nursery settings (both school and private) should remain fully operational

And in other news ... ofsted monitoring inspections will begin as of now.

And the media have all run stories today on how ‘a lack of devices or quiet working space’ qualifies a child as vulnerable and therefore a place in school. 

Might as well open the pubs and shops. 

This will start to be demonstrably ineffective within about 2/3 weeks, at most.

Kids will lose interest, teachers have lives at home and will not be able to give 100% attention and OFSTED will be told to go fuck themselves as these are exceptional circumstances.

It's just the government getting it wrong, again, what they are asking for is not sustainable and will, rightly, be assessed and changed, undoubtedly after the damage is already done.

It's almost like their only experience of life is their own cushy, privileged upbringing and they have no idea how anything outside of the cosseted little existence works...

• Upvote 1