You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

As well as being morally bankrupt, utterly hateful, sociopathic fucking cunts, they're all complete fucking morons in government, aren't they? 

Frightening.

Indeed.  And frightening how many people voted for exactly what they're getting. 

"Science led" [approach] is the zenith of soundbites, it means absolutely fuck all. 

That fat cunt Johnston is fucking shite

It's pretty obvious we're heading towards a war footing 

They should be mobilising all the powers of the State to create a National effort similar to WWII

Rationing if this goes on for much longer; holidays for rent, mortgage, utility bills. Getting everybody tested and those with immunity helping the high risk people and hospitals

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

My six year old has a cough and the two year old has a cough and at the weekend had a bit of a temperature. Does that mean we all have to stay at home for 14 days?!? 

Yes, if their temperature is within guidelines. If within the fourteen day you, or anybody else in the house, develops symptoms the clock is restarted.

This is not in any way manageable.  

'I'm losing faith in the leadership': an NHS doctor's story

I work on the infectious diseases ward of a major UK hospital. This has now become a coronavirus ward. It’s a “red zone” – one of the most infectious areas. We have all the patients here who have tested positive, apart from the ones so severely ill they need intensive care. We know that some of our patients will die.

I treat patients who are proven to have coronavirus. One week ago, I was wearing full PPE [personal protective equipment]. That consists of a proper FFP3 mask [offering high respiratory protection], a visor, a surgical gown, and two pairs of gloves.

Now we’ve been told not to bother with any of that. They’ve told us “just treat it as though it’s seasonal flu”. Now we are expected to wear just a normal surgical mask, a pair of ordinary short gloves, and a plastic apron that doesn’t cover all of you like a surgical gown does. I would see other patients around the hospital in the same scrubs, and the scrubs could have coronavirus on them.

But this advice contradicts WHO and European guidance. This guidance says to use full PPE if you are exposed to patients with coronavirus.

I am terrified. I’m seriously considering whether I can keep working as a doctor. I may be OK – I’m young and healthy – but I can’t bear the thought of infecting other patients with a disease that could kill them. And that is the risk, without proper PPE. It’s terrifying; it’s indescribable. This is not seasonal flu. This is a new virus with greater mortality and we know much less about it.

I cannot believe or understand why Public Health England has downgraded our PPE advice. Why are they contradicting international advice? The evidence that ordinary surgical masks are protective is from dealing with seasonal flu, not this new virus. Doctors are dying in Italy and China. Young people are dying, too.

I cannot understand what the rationale and motives are. Have they given up? Are they just deciding to build up herd immunity by watching us die? The government has given up, hasn’t it?

I’m losing faith in the leadership, medical as well as political. It doesn’t look like there’s a plan. We had weeks to prepare and we are still running out of PPE. And clearly, doctors are expendable. Why sacrifice us when there aren’t enough of us as it is? How many of us will still be able to work when the “right time” finally arrives? They are throwing us into the slaughterhouse. This is what they are doing.

How can I sleep? I feel sick. They are making it impossible for me to do my job. I’m in shock. I feel betrayed. Who is going to look after our patients if we are ill or dead?

I cannot understand why they have stopped testing and contract tracing, either. Hospital staff are being told we cannot be tested if our [own] symptoms are mild. This is unbelievable. If we’re not allowed to be tested, then how will we ever know how many other people – patients – we are infecting? Brilliant. What a brilliant plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/im-losing-faith-in-the-leadership-a-doctors-story-coronavirus

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

Just in the pub and coughed and was told by the barmaid if the landlord here's me coughing he will bar me, as he is barring people who cough.

Fucking absolute tool, world has officially gone mad

In fairness, it's better guidance than the Govt. has issued.

1 cough = a firm stare

2 cough = barred

3 cough = head kicked in

19 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

People can say it shouldn't be about politics but the government have fucked this up badly and it looks like Tory politicians have created what's about to be carnage across the country.

Starmer already has his focus with this if/when he becomes Labour leader and he should stick with it because it has the potential to bring the government down eventually. The Tories are creating what could be one of the worst situations we've known in recent history and a lot of it could've been prevented, simply by following methods that other countries have used to contain the virus instead of allowing it to spread.

I think the press conference today was Johnson's last chance to bring some sanity to this situation but he was probably too bothered about the economy to care. It'll probably be a miracle if he doesn't pay for it heavily too.

But the cat is out of the bag. There’s no vaccine and no way to mitigate the deaths outside of building a few hundred hospitals. That can’t happen when everyone is in quarantine.  

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yes, if their temperature is within guidelines. If within the fourteen day you, or anybody else in the house, develops symptoms the clock is restarted.

This is not in any way manageable.  

Looks like it might have to be because it could be the gov's way of starting gradual lockdown.

3 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

With regard to the elderly and vulnerable having to self-isolate for 12 weeks, does this include people under 70 who have type 2 diabetes?

I've just check this as it applies to my mum. Yes. The usual over 70 restrictions apply. 

The restrictions, somewhat unsurprisingly, are quite restrictive:

What is social distancing?

Social distancing measures are steps you can take to reduce the social interaction between people. This will help reduce the transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19).

They are:

1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and/or new and continuous cough;
  2. Avoid non-essential use of public transport, varying your travel times to avoid rush hour, when possible; 3.Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this. Please refer to employer guidance for more information;
  3. Avoid large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars, clubs
  4. Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology such as phone, internet, and social media.
  5. Use telephone or online services to contact your GP or other essential services.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

But the cat is out of the bag. There’s no vaccine and no way to mitigate the deaths outside of building a few hundred hospitals. That can’t happen when everyone is in quarantine.  

The Tories let it out of the bag. They should've followed a lot of what other countries in asia eventually did but like I said yesterday, no point in that because we're too arrogant, we know best. Anyone that simply followed this from when it started getting out of hand in China should've known that it was something not to fuck around with from the moment it arrived in the country.

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

The Tories let it out of the bag. They should've followed a lot of what other countries in asia eventually did but like I said yesterday, no point in that because we're too arrogant, we know best. Anyone that simply followed this from when it started getting out of hand in China should've known that it was something not to fuck around with from the moment it arrived in the country.

No they didn’t. We could have closed the

country in January.  How would you suggest we’d have opened it again and when?  

47 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The ITV News Health Corespondent said everyone is being advised to socially distance. Pregnant women, over 70s and people with chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, who need the flu jab, are being strongly advised to work from home if they can and not go to supermarkets at peak times. A smaller group of people, around 1.4 million, who have serious conditions and a compromised immune system, such as those having chemotherapy, are being asked to stay at home and not go out.

Thanks

Appreciate the update 

At the moment my plan is to talk about reduced hours over just weekends. But I'll see how busy the offices are. Luckily I only work after 6pm so they are pretty empty and I might just try and carry on for a bit at least

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rico1304 said:

No they didn’t. We could have closed the

country in January.  How would you suggest we’d have opened it again and when?  

Funny how the "Austerity kills millions!" crowd think the country can take a 30-40% hit to GDP without consequence, isn't it.

• Downvote 1

Just listening to the news and there's a guy saying they're predicting 250,000 deaths in the UK? Now, I dont want to be arguing over death and trying to make even 1 not a serious matter but we've had 55 and all but about 0.9% had other serious health issues.

Medieval plagues wiped out millions of people at a faster and far higher rate. True, they didnt have any medicines to speak of but they keep saying a vaccine is 12 months off if you listen to some. Others say malaria treatment kills the virus. The situation and info is nuts, inconsistent and varies widely.

Clearly, any death is untimely and a loss for families. The big question that isnt being resolved for me is, is this virus a serious threat to life as we know it? Even world wide, the number is less than 10,000.

Were this to be seasonal flu, a virus or bacteria that mutates regularly so even vaccines dont always work, would there be the panic, for want of a better word, that we are seeing?

And if the answer is yes, this virus could change the world as we know it, why the fuck wasnt the world put on lock down far earlier?

Arguing about this party or that made it worse or would handle it better are just as stupid as blaming China for the outbreak.

15 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

'I'm losing faith in the leadership': an NHS doctor's story

I work on the infectious diseases ward of a major UK hospital. This has now become a coronavirus ward. It’s a “red zone” – one of the most infectious areas. We have all the patients here who have tested positive, apart from the ones so severely ill they need intensive care. We know that some of our patients will die.

I treat patients who are proven to have coronavirus. One week ago, I was wearing full PPE [personal protective equipment]. That consists of a proper FFP3 mask [offering high respiratory protection], a visor, a surgical gown, and two pairs of gloves.

Now we’ve been told not to bother with any of that. They’ve told us “just treat it as though it’s seasonal flu”. Now we are expected to wear just a normal surgical mask, a pair of ordinary short gloves, and a plastic apron that doesn’t cover all of you like a surgical gown does. I would see other patients around the hospital in the same scrubs, and the scrubs could have coronavirus on them.

But this advice contradicts WHO and European guidance. This guidance says to use full PPE if you are exposed to patients with coronavirus.

I am terrified. I’m seriously considering whether I can keep working as a doctor. I may be OK – I’m young and healthy – but I can’t bear the thought of infecting other patients with a disease that could kill them. And that is the risk, without proper PPE. It’s terrifying; it’s indescribable. This is not seasonal flu. This is a new virus with greater mortality and we know much less about it.

I cannot believe or understand why Public Health England has downgraded our PPE advice. Why are they contradicting international advice? The evidence that ordinary surgical masks are protective is from dealing with seasonal flu, not this new virus. Doctors are dying in Italy and China. Young people are dying, too.

I cannot understand what the rationale and motives are. Have they given up? Are they just deciding to build up herd immunity by watching us die? The government has given up, hasn’t it?

I’m losing faith in the leadership, medical as well as political. It doesn’t look like there’s a plan. We had weeks to prepare and we are still running out of PPE. And clearly, doctors are expendable. Why sacrifice us when there aren’t enough of us as it is? How many of us will still be able to work when the “right time” finally arrives? They are throwing us into the slaughterhouse. This is what they are doing.

How can I sleep? I feel sick. They are making it impossible for me to do my job. I’m in shock. I feel betrayed. Who is going to look after our patients if we are ill or dead?

I cannot understand why they have stopped testing and contract tracing, either. Hospital staff are being told we cannot be tested if our [own] symptoms are mild. This is unbelievable. If we’re not allowed to be tested, then how will we ever know how many other people – patients – we are infecting? Brilliant. What a brilliant plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/im-losing-faith-in-the-leadership-a-doctors-story-coronavirus

Shit’s getting real, man. 

Just now, Rico1304 said:

No they didn’t. We could have closed the country in January.  How would you suggest we’d have opened it again and when?  

We could have closed the country a lot earlier agreed. It would've caused some disruption and pissed a lot of people off, but it would've been a lot better than what's about to happen. I wouldn't pretend to know how we'd have opened the country again and when either. Our gov would've been best working with orgs like the World Health Organisation and officials from other countries to solve that problem.