You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, skend04 said:

People should be allowed to protest whenever and however they like without the threat of jail. You start going down that road and soon you'll have no ability to protest. 

To think this kind of action would only apply during a lockdown is naive at best 

You actually think that in the middle of a global pandemic that is killing people, large congregations should gather and protest about it knowing full well that they are potentially (extremely likely) spreading the virus further and prolonging the misery for everyone including those who are abiding by the rules? 

I absolutely support the right to protest but in this instance they should all be fucking shot in my opinion. 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You actually think that in the middle of a global pandemic that is killing people, large congregations should gather and protest about it knowing full well that they are potentially (extremely likely) spreading the virus further and prolonging the misery for everyone including those who are abiding by the rules? 

I absolutely support the right to protest but in this instance they should all be fucking shot in my opinion. 

Yes. The right to protest is not an absolute right and can be departed from in a time of emergency. People just need to start behaving like adults. 

9 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Yes. That's right. If you read the highlighted line alone. And ignore the couple of sentences above it. 

Mate, yes, we all agree that protests in lockdown are "dangerous", covid-wise.

But you're saying the BLM ones are safer than others.

Antifa thugs are safer than far-right thugs.

Protests and looting after Trump's election win were safer than protests and looting after Biden's election win.

Two legs good, four legs better.

We have double standards, based on our political leanings.  Simple.

Now, an end to my bollocksy conjecture.

Lockdown it is.

I don't think the virus cares or even knows what your cause is, so for that reason I cannot see how any public gathering/protest can be declared safe under a lockdown. If they could then surely we would currently be at the match each week watching our team as clubs would bend over backwards to make a stadium the safest environment they could. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Jesus, getting reviewed mid February? I never knew that. Fucking hell the carnage from this will be off the fucking scale.

Tough new coronavirus restrictions may have to remain in place until March, senior Cabinet minister Michael Gove warned, as England enters its third national lockdown.

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I reckon it might be worth following the farmer's protests in India then. If they don't protest now as they are then they'd lose everything they own to 2 or 3 corporations because laws have been passed during the pandemic that will force them to eventually handover their lands. These farmers aren't rich, barely earn £150/month on average. I don't think the threat of getting shot is going to put off people camping out around Delhi in freezing conditions night in, day out.

Sometimes there are protests that need to be made, whatever is happening elsewhere. That's my take on it anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

I reckon it might be worth following the farmer's protests in India then. If they don't protest now as they are then they'd lose everything they own to 2 or 3 corporations because laws have been passed during the pandemic that will force them to eventually handover their lands. These farmers aren't rich, barely earn £150/month on average. I don't think the threat of getting shot is going to put off people camping out around Delhi in freezing conditions night in, day out.

Sometimes there are protests that need to be made, whatever is happening elsewhere.

I'm firmly in the "I'd rather the risk of millions more people (including loved ones) dying being reduced as opposed to enhanced because of some peoples fucking arrogance" camp. 

Its a shitty shitty situation and fuck me I absolutely 110% agree that its horrible, the future will be and its awful that many will suffer but the immediate threat is Covid and thats what needs to be beat first. 

16 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I agree. Its a a moot point to debate a trade off between the right to protest and keeping people safe. This is one of the most transparent and liberal societies in the world and there are lots of ways to make your voice heard politically that don't require you to go on a march. We all need to stay at home and stick to the rules together for a few weeks or as a society we are fucked long term. 

Exactly. Its far from an "us against them" thing when it comes to agreeing on the long-term effects but when people are actively risking the lives of others by not adhering to guidelines then it becomes a problem. 

24 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Chatting (up) to a nurse this morning. Pfizers vaccine has been licenced on the basis that the follow up is administered after 21 days. That could be be a legal minefield.

We've just been told right now here in Denmark that the Pfizer vaccine can be stretched up to 42 days now. We werew supposed to all have the vaccine by week seven, but now they are saying summer to late summer. Our primeminister just hit us with even harder restrictions. Only one shopper per family. two meters distance in public. maximum of 5 together at one point. The British variant of this clusterfuck of a disease is really badass contagious. We just went into tier 5 which is the highest here.

They just said that over 60000 people where hit just today in England, is that correct ? 

One for the "they would've been dead in a few years anyway" rabble. 

1. ON AVERAGE, EACH PERSON IN THE U.S. WHO HAS DIED FROM COVID-19 WAS DEPRIVED OF ABOUT 13 YEARS OF LIFE.

This estimate, computed by Harvard’s Stephen Elledge, compares the age at which people died from COVID-19 with how long they likely would have lived according to projections from the Social Security Administration.

The 13-year average includes both people who died not long before they would have been otherwise expected to and people who died much earlier than that. A lot of relatively young people lost a lot of time: People under the age of 65, Elledge estimates, account for 45 percent of the total unlived years.

“When people talk about deaths from COVID-19, they say, ‘Well, they were old. They were going to die anyway,’” Elledge told me. “But people don’t appreciate the fact that even if you’re 70 or 75, you may still have 10 to 15 years of life left. And they also don’t appreciate, with the deaths of younger people, that it’s a huge loss of life, sometimes 40 years.”

Read: What young, healthy people have to fear from COVID-19

Elledge’s analysis covers COVID-19 deaths through early October; by then, Americans had collectively lost about 2.5 million years of life. Three months later, he estimates, the total is probably about 4.5 million.

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Sometimes there are protests that need to be made, whatever is happening elsewhere. That's my take on it anyway.

I'm not familiar with goings on India but I'd fully support the right to protest against injustice regardless of any pandemic. If someone is trying to take my farm from me* I will do whatever it takes to stop that. Denying that right is a dangerous starting point, its Belarus territory. That doesn't mean a protest is safe or right or you agree with it but the right to protest must be maintained. 

* I don't have a farm and think these people are all dickheads but that doesn't change the facts.

3 minutes ago, No2 said:

I'm not familiar with goings on India but I'd fully support the right to protest against injustice regardless of any pandemic. If someone is trying to take my farm from me* I will do whatever it takes to stop that. Denying that right is a dangerous starting point, its Belarus territory. That doesn't mean a protest is safe or right or you agree with it but the right to protest must be maintained. 

* I don't have a farm and think these people are all dickheads but that doesn't change the facts.

Pretty sure @belarus has the right to defend himself here...

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, skend04 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55544205

Awww I feel for Julia Hartley-Cuntface and all the other head-the-balls on there.

thank fuck there are some good private individuals at YouTube making these calls.  Cry-arse cunts need their station HQ burned to the ground.  Oooooh, it's all a bit Chinese this....yeah good, take us over, bring it on, sign me up.   The likes of JHB should have her head shaved and put to work in the fields for 10 years.  

As predicted, not shutting schools on Sunday was correct, shutting them on Monday was correct;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55540679

The PM acted "decisively" in announcing a new lockdown in England "in the face of new information", Rishi Sunak says.

Mr Gove told BBC Breakfast: "The four chief medical officers of the United Kingdom met and discussed the situation yesterday and their recommendation was that the country had to move to level five, the highest level available of alert that meant there was an imminent danger to the NHS of being overwhelmed unless action was taken.

"And so in the circumstances we felt that the only thing we could do was to close those primary schools that were open."

Analysis

Nick Triggle Health Correspondent 

Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove saying the lockdown may have to last to March may not come as much of a surprise to many.

While the government has set a target of offering the most at-risk a jab by mid February, it will take several weeks longer for the full effect to be felt given it takes time for an immune response to kick in.

The bigger question is whether or not the government could have acted earlier.

It was clear before Christmas the new variant was pushing up infection rates - and that in turn would mean more hospital admissions.

The delay looks costly. Since Christmas Day, the number of Covid-19 patients in hospital has risen by 50% alone - enough to fill 18 hospitals.

While the government did introduce tier four the weekend before Christmas in parts of the south east of England, which banned mixing over the festive period and led to the closure of non-essential shops and gyms, most of the country were allowed to meet up on Christmas Day.

Infections from Christmas Day are now being felt - the numbers have been rising sharply ever since. Some of these are next week's hospital admissions - and is why the chief medical officers warned of the risk of hospitals becoming overwhelmed, which Mr Gove said persuaded them to act on Monday.

If lockdown had come earlier, it may well have been shorter.

Absolute bollocks but obviously they will not get called out, nothing to see here move along.