You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, Barry Wom said:

I think once you take a government job as a scientist that's exactly what you're doing yes. 

I've always held the opinion that scientists often see numbers instead of human lives, although that's probably been reinforced through Hollywood stereotypes. 

19 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Because its all fucking lies. Lets pick some celebrities and get them to promote whats happening. Did anyone see the Scwarzenegger video. Fuck me its creepy. Telling everyone repeatedly to stay in their homes, don't go out, forget restaurants.

He’s got shares in Deliveroo 

4 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

So according to what I seen on the news tonight, There is practically zero chance of anyone not getting this virus ? 

ISS are probably quite safe. But yeah, everyone gets it. Do you want it now when they have fuck all idea what they are doing but the hospitals are not packed. Or you want it later when they have fuck all idea and the hospitals are wrecked and the age limit for DNR has dropped to 40?

• Upvote 1

Munira Wilson, the Lib Dem health spokeswoman, has questioned the government's testing regime and said it should be extended to NHS staff and social care workers. 

I think she's entirely correct. But, is she just fulfilling her duty as a public servant or is she politicising the coronavirus, something which she'll later regret? 

Just checking what the distinction is between the two? 

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Surely if they implement this quarantine at some point they'll postpone rent, mortage payments and the like. 

No

Because the government are not closing anything just advising. Means they can all wipe their hands clean of the costs

2 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

ISS are probably quite safe. But yeah, everyone gets it. Do you want it now when they have fuck all idea what they are doing but the hospitals are not packed. Or you want it later when they have fuck all idea and the hospitals are wrecked and the age limit has dropped to 40?

TBH, if it were just me I'd take my chances with it. Im 52 and in reasonable health. (I think) I'm not in a position to work from home because of my job.

It's my dad I'm worried about. He's 80 in a couple of weeks and had major heart surgery about four months ago. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Woo

High blood pressure - Check

Type 1 diabetes - Check

So according to the government I'll get a letter, stay home for 3 months. All well and good but how exactly do I pay my rent and other bills

The ITV News Health Corespondent said everyone is being advised to socially distance. Pregnant women, over 70s and people with chronic illnesses, such as diabetes, who need the flu jab, are being strongly advised to work from home if they can and not go to supermarkets at peak times. A smaller group of people, around 1.4 million, who have serious conditions and a compromised immune system, such as those having chemotherapy, are being asked to stay at home and not go out.

30 minutes ago, Philtrum said:

I've always held the opinion that scientists often see numbers instead of human lives, although that's probably been reinforced through Hollywood stereotypes. 

Maybe sometimes they should. Ultimately if there job is to reduce the overall death toll, if that means some.more now for less.later they're doing their jobs I suppose. The problem is there's never a guarantee of less later.

Also we don't know what numbers they're working with. So what we're doing (done so far) might be just the trick for a non-functioning health service with not enough testing kits and no money to get them. It's like saying to a builder can build me a house any house you want, it's a blank page. And you tell the world you've got yourselves a building company and the remit is any house they want. Then you tell the builder it is any house he wants, just he's only he's got 50k to do the build. Then when the house is shit, loads of people would question what the fuck is going on with the builder if that's all he could build with a blank page. You can only piss with the dick you've got. People juggling numbers can only juggle the numbers they've got. 

• Upvote 1

People can say it shouldn't be about politics but the government have fucked this up badly and it looks like Tory politicians have created what's about to be carnage across the country.

Starmer already has his focus with this if/when he becomes Labour leader and he should stick with it because it has the potential to bring the government down eventually. The Tories are creating what could be one of the worst situations we've known in recent history and a lot of it could've been prevented, simply by following methods that other countries have used to contain the virus instead of allowing it to spread.

I think the press conference today was Johnson's last chance to bring some sanity to this situation but he was probably too bothered about the economy to care. It'll probably be a miracle if he doesn't pay for it heavily too.