You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Apparently what viruses do is mutate, this isn't new news. If there's a new strain/mutation that is far more contagious than other strains then it stands to sense it would become dominant quite quickly. I also seem to remember reading that other countries in Europe have confirmed that they are seeing this particular strain in their tests. 

5 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Well it means that those people that had Flu in 57 and the years after had a better chance with immunity in 68 and the early H3 types but not later types.. this is why the 2nd wave was worse as you'd of had preexisting neuraminidase immunity in the 1st wave but once that antigen drifts the response is gone.. 

If you say so - that is not the way I read it cuz he says:

a new pandemic virus that people are not immune to. And that's what happened in 1968.

Also after checking it out - I think you are maybe combining articles you have read as the second wave in the US was less deadly by far so without knowing the science of it (or pretending I do) that would suggest the part in bold may not be true. In reality the "second" wave that hit Europe the following season (which is when the vast majority of deaths occurred) was really their first wave.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

The 68 one flattened out by end of 69 beginning 70

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

There are important lessons to be learned though. Worldwide this is patently untrue:

The 68 one flattened out by end of 69 beginning 70

The second wave ran through until the end of the summer of 1970 for most of the world then in Australia for another 6 months and for everywhere but the US was worse. The vaccine was introduced in July of 69 so it took about 16 months to become effective worldwide.

20 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

I know man - I said it.

At this point I am not even sure what point you are trying to make much less how I ended up in this rabbit hole.

To sum it up - Covid is more contagious and more deadly than any other pandemic post 1918.  

It is far moreso than either 57 or 68 flu even with those seeing zero mitigation, much less enforced worldwide lockdown.

If you want to move freely without restrictions in the next 12 months at least, be prepared to get vaccinated, if you don't that is fine with me as well - my view on that is a few pages back if you are interested.

Until then, wear a mask and stay safe amigo.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

What are people's thoughts on the new super duper strain then? Very hard to find any info in our media backing up the claims that it's the reason for the rise in cases as opposed to, say, Christmas shopping and vaccine news making people think we were in the home stretch, coupled with lubing us up for a monumental lockdown.

It will be very interesting to see if the UK variant as it is being described as, has the same impact in other countries. 

It's a hell of a lie to tell if not, even by this Tory government standards.

14 hours ago, Red Shift said:

I like Ivor Cummings a lot - when he talks low carb and keto. I know nothing of the science of covid testing however. Is he on the money here or not?

I lasted till 30 seconds in when it was clear he was spouting shite that has been thoroughly debunked and is back on this thread time and again. Why post this shite? 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like they've taken Tony Blair's advice on the vaccine, talk of them giving everyone one shot to provide "some" protection and then the second one a few months down the line, rather than jabbing fewer people with both shots a couple of weeks apart. Herd immunity therefore won't be forthcoming any time soon one would imagine, rather they'll just be hoping it reduces symptoms enough in anyone who does get it and keeps them out of hospital.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Apparently Alan Sugar has lost both his brother and sister to Covid, grim, wouldn't wish it on anyone but wasn't he on telly a few months back from his Florida bunker making out it was all a load of bollocks?

Or posting pictures from Australia that he kept travelling too and from 

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Apparently Alan Sugar has lost both his brother and sister to Covid, grim, wouldn't wish it on anyone but wasn't he on telly a few months back from his Florida bunker making out it was all a load of bollocks?

Yeah he said that he didn't know anybody that had died from it;

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/alan-sugar-coronavirus-comments-lockdown-jeremy-vine-video-a9573171.html

4 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Vaccination centres should be running 24/7 when you lads get that Oxford vaccine rolling. 

Just make every fucker stand in line, like back in your school days and roll up their sleeves, give them a sugar cube and a jab in the arm. 

Bish, bash bosh! 

Yeah, but what if the bigger boys are waiting outside to punch me on the arm afterwards?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

That's the problem with people like him, trump and Musk, they're surrounded by yes people most of their professional lives to the point that they think they're right about everything, even shit they're not qualified to know about. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Sounds like they've taken Tony Blair's advice on the vaccine, talk of them giving everyone one shot to provide "some" protection and then the second one a few months down the line, rather than jabbing fewer people with both shots a couple of weeks apart. Herd immunity therefore won't be forthcoming any time soon one would imagine, rather they'll just be hoping it reduces symptoms enough in anyone who does get it and keeps them out of hospital.

I thought the second dose is predominantly a booster time-wise - more about providing continued protection at a similar level (from 3 months or so on, when the initial dose begins to diminish) - so they’re better to give as many most at risk people the first one as quickly as possible, to reduce the volume being made seriously unwell/hospitalised in the short-term, as that’s currently the most pressing issue.

Obviously that’s only in theory, while the job of applying it in practice will be brought to you by the same people who’ve fed the country into a woodchipper all year long while claiming they’re tucking it in to a four-poster bed and giving it a handjob.

19 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

That's the problem with people like him, trump and Musk, they're surrounded by yes people most of their professional lives to the point that they think they're right about everything, even shit they're not qualified to know about. 

He also said this, quoted in The Guardian today:

In September, Sugar condemned “unfair” criticism of the government’s handling of the pandemic, saying the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, had done a “good job in the circumstances”.

“I think the chancellor has done very well generally, and I say that as someone who is not exactly a supporter of the government,” he told PA Media. “There have been a lot of people saying how costly it has been and giving them stick, but I think that’s unfair to be honest.”

However, he said the government should require office workers to return to work to “support the City [of London], support the economy”.

“The City is suffering as there are no workers there, so until they really push to get more people there it will continue to look like a ghost town.”

Regulators said there was evidence of 'partial immunity' just seven days after the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. 

But they insisted the best immunity comes seven days after the second dose, which is given three weeks after the first.

It remains a mystery as to how long immunity against Covid lasts for, with top scientists warning that people may need to be vaccinated against the disease every winter, like the flu. 

If they're discovering that the most vulnerable in the community (first on the vaccine list) are doing well enough with one dose of the Pfixer vaccine, then great. The new Oxford vaccine removes any argument as it's one dose as standard. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

I thought the second dose is predominantly a booster time-wise - more about providing continued protection at the same level (from 3 months or so on, when the initial dose begins to diminish) - so they’re better to give as many most at risk people the first one as quickly as possible, to reduce the volume being made seriously unwell/hospitalised in the short-term, as that’s currently the most pressing issue.

Obviously that’s only in theory, while the job of applying it in practice will be brought to you by the same people who’ve fed the country into a woodchipper all year long while claiming they’re tucking it in to a four-poster bed and giving it a handjob.

You’re meant to get the second dose 3-4 weeks after the first which bolsters how effective it is. From what I’ve read there is no firm indication how effective one dose is as opposed to two, only guesswork. 

If it’s only a little less effective getting one dose than two then, yeah, it makes sense but if it is a lot less effective then they should stick to the original plan.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/23/more-data-needed-before-second-vaccine-dose-diverted-to-first-timers-says-covid-adviser

4 minutes ago, T T O said:

Regulators said there was evidence of 'partial immunity' just seven days after the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. 

But they insisted the best immunity comes seven days after the second dose, which is given three weeks after the first.

It remains a mystery as to how long immunity against Covid lasts for, with top scientists warning that people may need to be vaccinated against the disease every winter, like the flu. 

If they're discovering that the most vulnerable in the community (first on the vaccine list) are doing well enough with one dose of the Pfixer vaccine, then great. The new Oxford vaccine removes any argument as it's one dose as standard. 

Where have you seen it’s one dose as standard? Everything I’ve read has said it’s two doses like the others. 

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-gets-u-k-nod-how-is-it-different-than-other-shots-11609317308

4CA87CCD-A7CA-4396-A5C0-4365E69FC048.png

• Upvote 1