You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

16 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

They were all in on Karol Sikora (sp) for

months. He was proved wrong and they just move on to another ‘expert’ with no skin in the game. 

Saw something on Twitter earlier, it was a ‘registered neuropath’ saying she’d walked round a hospital and it was empty. Got loads of traction. Then a woman who had a relative in the same hospital, with Covid, saying it was fucking rammed. Nothing.  

And you get cunts like the Tory Egg helping to spread the disinformation. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Number10cat/status/1343850288562790402

Screenshot_20201229_183356.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

the 57 flu mutated or went through antigenic shift to the new type (H2 to H3) so some were immune just like now you can be immune in correlation to when you were born and the type about that year 

I do not believe that is true. Am doing this from memory as it was this summer I looked into it, but it was pointed out there was no previous immunity that would protect folks. @Sugar Ape is the boss of the bookmarks - he should be able to point you in the right direction.

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

One thing that will come out of all this when it’s done is probably the first data set of people who were deniers, conspiracy theory believers, starters etc. 

It’ll be amazing to see the shite that was swallowed by people who were willing to believe any old shit to be seen as ‘important’ or simply ‘right’. I know there’s been some research on why people believe conspiracy theories but this will be amazing. 

I'd like to see the links between/venn diagram for Brexiteers, Trumpsters and Covid deniers. From my own experiences, there seems to be a HUUUUUUGE overlap. 

11 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I'd like to see the links between/venn diagram for Brexiteers, Trumpsters and Covid deniers. From my own experiences, there seems to be a HUUUUUUGE overlap. 

I don’t think it stops there though does it? People like joining cults. Makes them feel good and any attack on the cult is vigorously defended. The sense of belonging, feeling ‘right’ and superior. Ignoring what’s plain to see, ignoring evidence and seeing everything as an attack. Making excuses for your side, not for the other side. 

edit: Take Istan, I bet you could drive him round to every hospital in the U.K. show him all the wards, all the ill and dying people and he STILL wouldn’t believe it’s worse than flu. 

• Upvote 1

@Istvan Kuntstain

the 57 flu mutated or went through antigenic shift to the new type (H2 to H3) so some were immune

Here is your guy fella - Dr. Belongia is Director of Epidemology - Marshfield, researcher and expert on global flu history and vaccines. Joined the CDC/ACIP US response effort over the summer:

BELONGIA: Well, H3N2 was a virus that never circulated in people before 1968, and the flu viruses are unusual in the sense that different viruses can recombine. And there are flu viruses that circulate in wild birds, many different types of flu viruses. And if those recombine with a human strain, that can lead to a new pandemic virus that people are not immune to. And that's what happened in 1968.

36 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Flu is still around the one from 68 is the biggest killing type of Flu still now, will Covid be killing amounts it has this  year in 50-60 years? probably not as data and history suggests but it will probably still kill just like Flu. WEll yes I did have to go back to 68 as that is the last pandemic and hence it is comparable!! 

But it isn't comparable is it? And I think you know this, but it doesn't suit your argument. I could keep arguing with you, but @TheHowieLama is doing a better job than me.and it seems pointless us both beating the same drum. 

What are people's thoughts on the new super duper strain then? Very hard to find any info in our media backing up the claims that it's the reason for the rise in cases as opposed to, say, Christmas shopping and vaccine news making people think we were in the home stretch, coupled with lubing us up for a monumental lockdown.

19 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

How is it not comparable? both pandemics and both killed and were/are highly contagious! what other pandemic you gonna compare this one to? ffs

I think where you ruffled some feathers is not by suggesting they were comparable, but that the "flu" was worse (with some dubious or downright incorrect factual support) and then started in on who is currently getting vaccinated against "the more deadly" flu from 1968.

10 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

How is it not comparable? both pandemics and both killed and were/are highly contagious! what other pandemic you gonna compare this one to? ffs

There has never been another pandemic like this though so it’s not comparing like for like. It’s a different virus to the other pandemics from 50 plus years ago and we have used different measures to control it. 

For the sake of forum integrity, let’s say we have a Rugby team. Player A gets an ACL injury and gets a diagnosis of 7-9 months out. 

If someone was to say “Well, Player B pulled his groin and was only out for six weeks. Since they’re both injuries I don’t see why we can’t compare the two and maybe Player A will be back in six weeks as well”, you wouldn’t think that was a useful comparison would you?

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/29/europe/spain-vaccine-covid-registry-intl/index.html

Spain will keep a register of those who refuse the coronavirus vaccine

Madrid (CNN)People in Spain who decline to be vaccinated against coronavirus will be listed in a new register that will be shared with other European Union nations, Spanish Health Minister Salvador Illa has said. 

"What will be done is a registry ... of those people who have been offered it and simply rejected it," Illa told Spain's La Sexta TV channel. 

Illa said Covid-19 vaccinations would not be made compulsory, and stressed that the information in the register would not be made public, in line with Spain's data protection laws.

Might as well just use the sex register. It'll be the same people.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What are people's thoughts on the new super duper strain then? Very hard to find any info in our media backing up the claims that it's the reason for the rise in cases as opposed to, say, Christmas shopping and vaccine news making people think we were in the home stretch, coupled with lubing us up for a monumental lockdown.

I'm sure I've posted this before, but a few days after that Saturday when they went into supposed panic over this, there was an epidemiologist from Cambridge on. She was saying she's seen no evidence to suggest it's anything other than spread within schools and the government's complete refusal to accept that the rise we saw in the autumn was triggered by the return to schools. She also mentioned about the school testing that happened in Liverpool in November that helped drive down cases here as the teenage kids were mostly asymptomatic, but being found with the virus. 

I think it's interesting the focus there appears to be on getting testing in schools up and running for after the Christmas holidays when the government hasn't given 2 fucks about it before and it was a bit of an afterthought in Liverpool after the initial mass testing was rolled out. My money is on there is little to no difference between this and the original (or Spanish) variants we've been dealing with so far and our issues boil down to an entirely predictable spread of the virus which the government thought they could just ride out. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'm not saying it's propaganda. But it does seem like yet another string to the bow of government sloganeering designed to guilt the thickies into staying home/ wear masks/ socially distance. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Baz - we are having a discussion. You can carry on with the arguing.

Disappointing. I was hoping this would escalate into a slanging match.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean from day one, you had every scientist worth their salt say Covid was not the flu, and a year later, you've still got numpties putting up graphs of yearly flu deaths and talking about flu pandemics. Actually beggars belief. 

Yeah, but fortunately most of the people comparing covid to Spanish flu and predicting a much deadlier second wave have had the good grace to stop.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

It's super duper bollocks:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19818-2

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

I thought that as it contained A(H2N2) from the 57 virus thus the shift in hemagglutinin but not in neuraminidase only the H changes then there would be some immunity, that is why it replaced more or less the old virus also the shift seemed to effect those older than 65 more than younger people..

https://jvi.asm.org/content/86/11/6334

Least your fella Belongia knows that is comparable to Flu esp the 68 one.... 

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/07/871600329/what-we-can-learn-from-the-1968-hong-kong-flu-pandemic

Got to be honest pal I have no idea what any of those words mean.

Also I don't really see where he suggests it is comparable to the flu.

24 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

The 68 has killed more has it not? therefore it is more deadly?

In the first year of its existence - no. About half as many - if that. 

Don't forget the numbers they estimated (1 mil worldwide) were for the entire span of the pandemic. So about 28 months.

We still have to get through January to get to 12 months for Covid.

If you mean the sum total of the last 50+ years and that strain - then of course.