You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The problem with the anti vaccination thing is that it rarely if ever comes from a sane position that can be reasoned with. You could sit these people down with boffins for a presentation and they'd still believe they were lying.

This is the untold damage the likes of Trump, YouTube wankers and grifters have done to society.

I don't remember anyone not having their BCG when I was in school, and if their parents claimed they suspected it was being used to implant a homing beacon in their kid's arm, social workers and mental health professionals would have rightfully been called forthwith.

This is how far we've fallen, we quite frankly indulge, tolerate and even encourage far too much of this shit from dickheads, attention seekers and morons. 

Reminds me of the old Asimov quote:

The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The problem with the anti vaccination thing is that it rarely if ever comes from a sane position that can be reasoned with. You could sit these people down with boffins for a presentation and they'd still believe they were lying.

This is the untold damage the likes of Trump, YouTube wankers and grifters have done to society.

I don't remember anyone not having their BCG when I was in school, and if their parents claimed they suspected it was being used to implant a homing beacon in their kid's arm, social workers and mental health professionals would have rightfully been called forthwith.

This is how far we've fallen, we quite frankly indulge, tolerate and even encourage far too much of this shit from dickheads, attention seekers and morons. 

Totally.  

Their civil liberties matter more than anyone else's.  China has a few things right, this is one of them, your civil liberties don't extend to undermining the fabric of a healthy and economically prosperous society.  

11 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

You're a condescending tory prick, argue the points and the stats or fuck off? here's a chart now surely you can understand it? it's pretty clear that the old and those with underlying health conditions are those at risk and should therefore have the vaccines you know just like they do with flu. 

Figure 5_ COVID-19 mortality rates were higher than influenza and pneumonia rates for 2020 and the five-year average for all age groups in England.png

Take up of the pneumonia vaccine is about 70% amongst the elderly.  It’s less transmissible than CV19. In order to prevent hospitals and the NHS being overwhelmed, as they are about to be, we need to vaccinate everyone who can have it.  Would you have it? After all we need as many cuntstains as we can get just now.  

15 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

You don’t have to inoculate the whole population to achieve (if it’s even achievable) herd immunity. Estimations I’ve seen range from 70-90% of the population. This new strain may push up the percentage needed to achieve this according to some things I’ve read. 

So let’s say for arguments sake we need to inoculate 75% then the people you are taking about would obviously fall into the 25% that don’t receive a vaccination and providing the take up from everyone else is high that shouldn’t be a problem. 

The issue will be if the take up is low from the registered population. The vaccine is not going to eradicate Covid but the hope is it gets it down to acceptable levels we can live with, maybe like a flu season. But there will still be outbreaks here and there. 

I don't think this vaccine quite creates the herd immunity 1st bandied around does it? I thought the nature of how it worked you still caught covid, but because of the quick immune response it doesn't much impact you. However, during that period you can still transit the virus to others. So someone who has had the vaccine can still pass it on to those who have not. I realise those people will have a smaller viral load and be less infectious, but I believe it is still a risk 

14 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Thank you for the well reasoned reply.

To clarify, I'm far from an anti vaxer. I'm just a little uncomfortable with the labeling/taging/listing of people who for whatever their reasons, decide not to get the jab.

Personally I think absolutely everyone should have the choice if they're vaccinated or not. But equally I think it's reasonable that it can impact your future health care or access to state funds. Once everyone has been offered the vaccination, those who refuse it I believe should be at the back of the queue for treatment if ever there is another wave (it is more than possible say 50% of the population won't take it). I wouldn't provide any more furlough. If public venues want to restrict access to those without the vaccine, that should be their choice - although I don't know how that would be enforceable. I think these things work both ways - I think my civil liberties will be impacted if I can't get access to health care because the hospitals are overwhelmed with covid patients who refused the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

It wouldn’t be compulsory, but you’d lose the right to certain things by not having it.  

Like you don’t need a driving licence to drive on your own land, but to use the roads you need to have passed the relevant test.  That’s not controversial.  

Disco.

1 hour ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

What about those that are treated like drug dealers without dealing drugs? I agree with Stronts and that's rare but prohibition is utterly disgraceful but a big money maker for those involved. How many here have the Flu vaccines each year? I've no problem with this vaccine but do have issue if it is made compulsory.

If someone isn't dealing drugs and their door is caved in, I'm pretty sure their door would be paid for. Most importantly,  they would not be convicted, jailed and have a criminal record imposed on them, which would effect their future far more than having their door caved in.

People can choose to deal drugs or refuse a vaccination or whatever they like. However there must be consequences. 

2 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Great post. 

I have a mate who has turned into one of these dickheads. He really pissed me off over the last few weeks. He likes a drink and his favourite tipple is Heineken, so I've started commenting on every one of his photos where he is drinking one with "Heineken causes Penis Shrinkage", and backing up my statement with the assertion that you don't need any evidence these days. If he and people like him can say what they want about Covid19 and vaccines without evidence, then I can reverse that play and say "Heineken Causes Penis Shrinkage" with the aim of getting into his and others' thick heads. 

Heineken is as mainstream as it gets. 

Also, the main production site for Heineken is in Zoeterwoude just outside Leiden and has been riddled with covid. 

https://sleutelstad.nl/2020/09/30/corona-op-werkvloer-bij-heineken-zoeterwoude/

It makes all the UK's Heineken. 

https://www.diffordsguide.com/producers/621/heineken-brouwerijen-bv-heineken-brewery/location

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

If you are taking drugs then no your door isn't paid for, and you still get convicted. Why must there be consequences? sounds very draconian and to me you're chatting shit there, I've had my door kicked in and taken to crown court I wasn't dealing drugs.

So by that argument, taking drugs is perfectly acceptable. As is breaking speed limits. As is shoplifting. As is breaking and entering. And being identified doing any of this should not have consequences? If that is your idea of leaving draconian ideals behind, I'd prefer if we kept them.

54 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

EN-GUR-LAND

52 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Yes, she's not to good, like a bad dose of flu but no temperature she said, she won't phone 111 though for advice saying, what can they do except tell you to stay in and isolate, like talking to a brickwall sometimes but hopefully it'll pass over. I asked her to come to mine for the duration but she can't exactly do that as I'd be at risk, fuck all I can do. 

I've had a snotty nose myself and like a head cold with a mild headache, but hopefully that's down to falling over bevvied at home and splitting my head open on Xmas eve, stitched up Xmas day, a Christmas cracker if you like. 

I know I’ve made a comment about your username before in relation to you going arse over tit. Just how often do you fall over???

22 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

If someone isn't dealing drugs and their door is caved in, I'm pretty sure their door would be paid for. Most importantly,  they would not be convicted, jailed and have a criminal record imposed on them, which would effect their future far more than having their door caved in.

People can choose to deal drugs or refuse a vaccination or whatever they like. However there must be consequences. 

I saw a post on Facebook about Cheshire Police caving in an old woman’s door in Runcorn and finding half a spliff in an ashtray. It was a great thread to be fair but I don’t think the police paid for the door to be replaced and she wasn’t arrested. 

33 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think this vaccine quite creates the herd immunity 1st bandied around does it? I thought the nature of how it worked you still caught covid, but because of the quick immune response it doesn't much impact you. However, during that period you can still transit the virus to others. So someone who has had the vaccine can still pass it on to those who have not. I realise those people will have a smaller viral load and be less infectious, but I believe it is still a risk 

Going off the latest things I’ve read they don’t know how effective the vaccines will, or won’t, be in stopping or slowing the spread. That’s only going to become clear as they vaccinate people in large numbers. 

Personally I think it’s unlikely the vaccine will result in herd immunity but hopefully it will get the impact of Covid down to that of a bad flu season which we can live with. 

https://fortune.com/2020/12/22/covid-vaccine-infectious-face-masks-transmission/amp/

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Hospitals have had more people die due to flu or pneumonia this year up to Sept and that's with a vaccination program and in a low flu year. So whilst I think the vaccination is good for those at risk I don't see it as a necessity and the holy grail nor do I think those that have not been vaccinated should have rules imposed on them. 

Figure 7_ In England a higher proportion of deaths due to COVID-19 occurred in care homes than deaths due to influenza and pneumonia .png

It's never at any point been about saving lives. It might be for the population, but the only thing the government (here and I'm guessing elsewhere) is not to overwhelm the health service. The government would take 250k dead per year in a heart beat if it didn't mean there'd be shit pictures on the BBC news showing people dead in corridors. So if the vaccine means just as many die, but there's less people in hospital, the government will be more than happy. 

15 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

taking drugs is acceptable to me yes as its my body, breaking speed limits then no as why would I risk harm to others! being identified doing drugs to myself should lead to me having consequences? what do any of your other points as shoplifting, speed limits have to do with someone doing drugs in their home? 

There are many people who take drugs and thieve to pay for them. Do you still take drugs in your home? Sure, that is a personal choice and it's your body which I  agree you should be able to do anything you like to it. But it's still an informed choice, like all the others listed. There should be known consequences to any decision otherwise the results would definitely be unjust. After all, if you are told that taking drugs will not result in a crime, being prosecuted for committing a crime would be totally unjust. If you know you're breaking the law, accept the consequences. If they don't come, that's a bonus.

With the vaccination, there needs to be leverage to take it or not take it. The consequences should be known before the decision is taken. 

The only thing I'm wrong on here is thinking the police had to pay for damage if there is no crime. They SHOULD have to pay for it.

25 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Hospitals have had more people die due to flu or pneumonia this year up to Sept and that's with a vaccination program and in a low flu year. So whilst I think the vaccination is good for those at risk I don't see it as a necessity and the holy grail nor do I think those that have not been vaccinated should have rules imposed on them. 

Figure 7_ In England a higher proportion of deaths due to COVID-19 occurred in care homes than deaths due to influenza and pneumonia .png

That is influenza AND pneumonia fella.

This has been done to death (no pun intended) over the last 9 months in this thread - go back and read it.

36 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

EN-GUR-LAND

I know I’ve made a comment about your username before in relation to you going arse over tit. Just how often do you fall over???

I saw a post on Facebook about Cheshire Police caving in an old woman’s door in Runcorn and finding half a spliff in an ashtray. It was a great thread to be fair but I don’t think the police paid for the door to be replaced and she wasn’t arrested. 

37 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

EN-GUR-LAND

About once a year, bad one this time. 

40 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

EN-GUR-LAND

About once a year, lucky this time though. 

Schools going back a week later, to get the testing roll out sorted, this looks like being an absolute clusterfuck as well.

This government has to be the most disingenuous bunch of spivs ever. The army that they are proudly shouting about being drafted in to schools to help with the mass testing is nothing of the sort. 1500 jarheads will be available remotely to offer assistance where needs be, but only in extreme cases will they actually go anywhere near a school. It’s almost like they’re prepping for the blame game...

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Schools going back a week later, to get the testing roll out sorted, this looks like being an absolute clusterfuck as well.

This government has to be the most disingenuous bunch of spivs ever. The army that they are proudly shouting about being drafted in to schools to help with the mass testing is nothing of the sort. 1500 jarheads will be available remotely to offer assistance where needs be, but only in extreme cases will they actually go anywhere near a school. It’s almost like they’re prepping for the blame game...

They've been prepping the blame game since day 1 mate. 

Just now, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Well you are full of assumptions aren't you! not all drugs need to be cut! nor do they need to of been up someones arse nor have I said I wouldn't take a vaccine! try to fucking read and comprehend what is written. Again are you having the Flu vaccine each year? 

Ha ha are you pulling the intellectually superior thing? Love it.  

No, I’m not having the flu vaccine.  I’m unlikely to transmit it to anyone.  

I bet you thought the Magna Carta guys had a point didn’t you?   This isn’t about you climbing a wobbly ladder, this is you shaking the ladder for others. 

Are people still rolling out this flu line? Jeez I'd assumed it didn't need saying at this point but the rolling 5 year average for flu and pneumonia may be higher than that for Covid but 1) we have generations of experience, vaccines and treatments for those things, preventing many deaths, and 2) the Covid numbers are low because of the measures, lockdowns, etc, taken to keep them that way.

Should we just forget vaccinations and treatment of flu and pneumonia and see what damage it does?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Again you make assumptions, you are just a cunt and not worth the time.

So, have you taken drugs that could be cut? Do you demand the provenance of all the drugs you take?  No. No you don’t. 

I’ll take the advice from the medical experts. Not some crank off the internet.  

Unless you are an epidemiologist or doctor - in that case I’ll listen to your bollocks.   But you aren’t are you? 

3 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Are people still rolling out this flu line? Jeez I'd assumed it didn't need saying at this point but the rolling 5 year average for flu and pneumonia may be higher than that for Covid but 1) we have generations of experience, vaccines and treatments for those things, preventing many deaths, and 2) the Covid numbers are low because of the measures, lockdowns, etc, taken to keep them that way.

Should we just forget vaccinations and treatment of flu and pneumonia and see what damage it does?

Bravo

(I’m out of rep) 

2 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Yeah it's daft. 

Flu is harder to catch than car keys when you've had 10 pints, seems you only have to look at someone with Covid and you're up the duff. 

27 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Well you are full of assumptions aren't you! not all drugs need to be cut! nor do they need to of been up someones arse nor have I said I wouldn't take a vaccine! try to fucking read and comprehend what is written. Again are you having the Flu vaccine each year? 

The flu vaccine is nowhere near as effective as the Covid vaccines. Depending where you look, the flu shot protects you by about 40-60%. Covid, you've got a shot that is 90+% effective, and that's just one of them.

And this is with Covid being an objectively worse disease than the flu. Whatever your argument about the flu vaccine is, it's not a good one.