You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55411323

The number of excess deaths - those above expected levels - since the start of the pandemic has passed 81,000.

Data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) shows the UK saw nearly 14,000 deaths in the week of 11 December.

This was 13% above the expected levels for this time of year, down from 15% the week before.

Of these deaths, 3,062 involved Covid-19, also slightly lower than the preceding week.

Excess deaths are the difference between the total number of deaths registered (the height of the shaded area in the chart below) and the average over the previous five years for the same weeks (shown by the dashed line).

_116209975_optimised-uk_mortality_v_aver

The UK variant was discovered during an investigation into why coronavirus cases in Kent continued to rise during the November lockdown. Public Health England found a cluster of cases caused by a variant with a high number of mutations. When they looked back at the genetic sequences of viruses collected in the months before, they found that it first cropped up in Kent on 20 September, with another case in Greater London the next day. New variant infections have surged since then and spread across the country.

In the UK, the new variant is growing fast and displacing others. At the Milton Keynes Lighthouse lab the new variant accounts for about three quarters of all positive tests.

The early signs are that the disease caused by the new variants is no worse, but more data is needed to be sure. On 18 December, the government’s New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag) reported four deaths in about 1,000 cases of the new UK variant coronavirus. 

7 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

In short, it's NOT a reason for a change in lockdown.  It's been here for months, it's already hugely embedded, and it's very likely not a more effective killer.  

I disagree, if it is as reported considerably more transmissible then there absolutely is a need for higher tiers as it will lead to more infections, which will result in more people needing hospital treatment at least. 

3 minutes ago, Jedd Drudge said:

I disagree, if it is as reported considerably more transmissible then there absolutely is a need for higher tiers as it will lead to more infections, which will result in more people needing hospital treatment at least. 

It's accelerating the cases, perhaps, but it's very difficult to prove that when schools,  pubs and shopping have been a key factor in more people mingling.  

I'm not one for conspiracy shite, and this isn't one, it's just an honest opinion based on what is being said. 

If it was THAT bad, then why in the name of fuck would you let millions spend Xmas day mingling, and why are we watching 2,000 fans at Everton tonight, and why haven't they already postponed school reopening? 

7 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It's accelerating the cases, perhaps, but it's very difficult to prove that when schools,  pubs and shopping have been a key factor in more people mingling.  

I'm not one for conspiracy shite, and this isn't one, it's just an honest opinion based on what is being said. 

If it was THAT bad, then why in the name of fuck would you let millions spend Xmas day mingling, and why are we watching 2,000 fans at Everton tonight, and why haven't they already postponed school reopening? 

They know that they can't stop people mingling at xmas, and if they stopped it most people would refuse to obey. once you get mass disobedience you've lost. I agree with the comments earlier that if this new mutation is so bad then they needed to put the entire country in tier 4 on boxing day, but again as has been pointed out, they are reactive not proactive. 

The whole point has been to slow infection, give the NHS a chance to deal with it. Anything that accelerates that is dangerous. 

6 hours ago, Jedd Drudge said:

Hancock says there's another mutation of the virus in the Uk that has been traced to South Africa. Even more contagious than the previous new mutation. 

I don't believe anything they say. They know what they're supposed to be doing are more stringent lockdowns, but are doing as little as possible as late as possible like they always do and in the meantime they want to frighten people into staying at home and they don't want to admit they've got it wrong again. There was an epidemiologist from Cambridge uni on BBC this morning, she said all the government wants to do is ignore the part schools are playing in the rise in infections..

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

‘UK and EU 'could announce Brexit deal within HOURS': Boris Johnson is on the brink of striking historic trade agreement with Brussels after last-minute haggling over fishing rights’

Yup, failure and concession on every front projected as some some of sort victory?

Pyrrhic, perhaps. 

They've seen how well no deal will go with just 2 days of Dover shut and shat themselves. 

• Upvote 1

On 22/12/2020 at 18:31, Bjornebye said:

Grim that its still here, I really wish you were right @Strontium Dog™ but I think it's time at the very least you admitted you were wrong. 

I think its time you admitted you were wrong, especially considering you asked people to be man enough to admit if they were wrong. 

You've ignored the first request. Expected but come on. Doesn't take much. A man admits when he's wrong. If you can't admit it after that statement then I can't see how you can go on posting on here when people are going through so much shit. 

Trust me, I wish you had been right. 

9245608-olive-branch.jpg?w=735

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't believe anything they say. They know what they're supposed to be doing are more stringent lockdowns, but are doing as little as possible as late as possible like they always do and in the meantime they want to frighten people into staying at home and they don't want to admit they've got it wrong again. There was an epidemiologist from Cambridge uni on BBC this morning, she said all the government wants to do is ignore the part schools are playing in the rise in infections..

They've seen how well no deal will go with just 2 days of Dover shut and shat themselves. 

That's the double truth, Ruth.

6 hours ago, Jedd Drudge said:

The people that developed the virus have come up with the best practice of two doses, but fuck it let Blair decide and let's risk the extremely vulnerable. Who gives a fuck if they're only 54% protected when Blair thinks that's good enough. 

Let Blair have his lead injection at the hands of a firing squad the idiot. 

So when early trials showed higher levels of antibodies after a second shot, Pfizer and Moderna decided to make their vaccines double-dose. It comes down to simple reasoning. "We know that a second dose leads to a higher concentration of the neutralising antibody that we want the body to produce," Dr. Malvestutto said. "So, the higher the neutralising antibody concentration, the better the protection is." It's not a novel concept; the Hepatitis B and Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) vaccines are also given in multiple doses to maximise antibody response.

It's worth noting that not all of the developing COVID-19 vaccines require two doses. The Johnson & Johnson vaccine, currently in Phase 3 trials, may only require one shot, though the company is also conducting a study using two doses. "In preclinical trials, [Johnson & Johnson] found that they were achieving adequate levels of the production of these neutralising antibodies," Dr. Malvestutto explained.

https://www.popsugar.co.uk/fitness/why-do-you-need-two-doses-covid19-vaccine-48052233?utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=US:GB&utm_source=duckduckgo.com

Yeah you're right. I was wrong to try and give him the benefit of the doubt, the Christmas goodwill must have warped my barnett.

5 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Can't believe that's there is not more outrage at these numbers. We'll be over 1k soon.

Don't forget these numbers are only people tested in the last 28 days. Imagine how many more are not being counted and haven't for months. We're probably on 100k by now.

Conveniently created metric by the cunts to save some face. I can't believe that no one has challenged this metric, as with the daily number of people being tested that haven't been available for months. All opposition parties can go fuck themselves too for being useless cunts for allowing this shitshow to just carry on and on and on...

Maybe Kier Cuntface can call another press conference and tell us how great he is, the self obsessed wanker.

Wait till Spanner and his crew read that last paragraph.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Because we have an incompetent government who haven't the balls to make the tough decisions?

10 hours ago, littletedwest said:

How long you been ill for mate?

I'm out on Christmas day I'm still really tired but otherwise OK. Symptoms have been relatively mild but they've hung on for a while. 

I've been ill for about 2 weeks but the last couple of days I've forced myself to eat and do bits around the house to get myself moving. I've still got a cough and no sense of smell but I feel so much better than I did even a few days ago

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Special K said:

I've been ill for about 2 weeks but the last couple of days I've forced myself to eat and do bits around the house to get myself moving. I've still got a cough and no sense of smell but I feel so much better than I did even a few days ago

It's easier said than done mate but eat.