You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yesterday, my dad had a cardiac arrest.

They managed to resuscitate him but his heart is still very erratic. They dispersed the blood clot on his lung. He is critical but relatively stable.

He's fighting mate, thoughts are with you all.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, dirk grout said:

Does that invalidate his opinions on the best way to manage a health crisis? Just such a pointless and unhelpful contribution to the debate. Genuine question here, do you think the country would be in better hands if Blair was in charge now?

I don't like Blair and wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

I would rather listen to the advice of a bona fide medical health professional about how best the vaccine is administered thank you very much.

If I want advice on how to illegally start a war causing death and destruction for thousands of people, then I'll listen to Blair.

He knows all about that.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

They managed to resuscitate him but his heart is still very erratic. They dispersed the blood clot on his lung. He is critical but relatively stable.

Sounds like he's a fighter Tony. All the best to your Dad, you and the rest of your family.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, dirk grout said:

Does that invalidate his opinions on the best way to manage a health crisis? Just such a pointless and unhelpful contribution to the debate. Genuine question here, do you think the country would be in better hands if Blair was in charge now?

Blair is a far better liar than Johnson.

2 hours ago, Duff Man said:

Awesome.

Where did you get that from, is there a website?

1 hour ago, John102 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55410349

Ex-PM Tony Blair is urging the government to give as many people as possible an initial dose of a Covid vaccine - rather than preserving stocks so there is enough for second jabs.

The Pfizer-Biontech and Oxford University-Astrazeneca vaccines require two doses to be fully effective.

Mr Blair says his idea would speed up the vaccine programme so the country could come out of lockdown sooner.

In the Independent, he said the roll-out must be "radically accelerated".

The UK has pre-ordered 40 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine and 100 million of the Oxford University Astrazeneca vaccines.

More than 500,000 people in the UK have now been given their first dose of the vaccine.

The two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine are administered around 21 days apart.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Mr Blair said that although "you really need the two doses… the first dose gives you substantial immunity".

He argued there was a "strong case for not holding back the second doses of the vaccine" and instead using those batches to give a greater number of people the first dose.

His proposal was backed up by Professor David Salisbury, the man who was in charge of immunisation at the Department of Health until 2013.

He told Today the numbers are "straightforward".

"You give one dose you get 91% [protection] you give two doses and you get 95% - you are only gaining 4% for giving the second dose," he said.

"With current circumstances, I would strongly urge you to use as many first doses as you possibly can for risk groups and only after you have done all of that come back with second doses."

However, he acknowledged this would be harder to do with the Oxford University vaccine where the efficacy of two doses is 60%.

Margaret KeenanIMAGE COPYRIGHTPA MEDIA
image captionMargaret Keenan became the first person in the UK to receive the Pfizer/BioNtech Covid-19 vaccine at University Hospital, Coventry

Mr Blair's suggestion was part of a seven-point plan he has drawn up, which also includes a plea to the government to start preparing "health passports".

The former Labour prime minister, who was in power between 1997 and 2007, predicted that in six months, countries would only allow travellers to visit if they could give proof of their disease status.

He also said it was important to "have the best data systems in the world available to us".

"Collecting this data in one place, with one patient record, is going to be absolutely vital - testing, vaccinations, every single thing to do with the development of this disease," he added.

"You need to record every single piece of data you can lay your hands on because we will be adjusting our vaccination programme as we go - we may even have to adjust the vaccine itself."

Mr Blair also said that while it is important to prioritise the vulnerable and health care staff, this should not delay vaccinating those who were more likely to spread the disease, such as students.

Presentational grey line

Tony Blair's theory about making vaccines go further is grabbing the headlines but the former prime minister's thoughts on health passports could prove even more controversial.

He's confident that within six months no country in the world will allow travellers in without proof of their disease status - and wants the UK government to get ahead of the curve, building a vast database of patient records, tests and vaccinations.

It would seem inevitable that any health passport would end up being used not just for foreign travel but at home, with restaurants, shops and even employers demanding to know about an individual's virus status.

The national ID card that Tony Blair's government proposed in the teeth of fierce opposition would finally become a reality.

But civil liberties and data rights campaigners have already raised concerns about issues such as the data collected by the NHS Covid-19 contact tracing app, and about the role in building a virus dashboard the government has given to the controversial American firm Palantir.

They can be expected to mount a vigorous fight against any attempt to create a national "Covid passport" - and many MPs across the political spectrum will share their unease.

But not everyone will reject the idea out of hand. Some whose freedoms to leave their house or to welcome family at Christmas have been curtailed may think that giving away some of their data is a price worth paying for a return to normality.

Maybe the inevitable logistical fuck ups wont be so bad?

Also - Is Tony's Dad sick? Hopefully he is on the mend by the time the Queen's speech kicks off.

It's just been on the BBC 1pm news that 1 dose give 54% protection. 

5 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I don't like Blair and wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

I would rather listen to the advice of a bona fide medical health professional about how best the vaccine is administered thank you very much.

If I want advice on how to illegally start a war causing death and destruction for thousands of people, then I'll listen to Blair.

He knows all about that.

Yeah but what if God told him what to do with the vaccine doses? 

57 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Hoping he pulls through.  Thought with you and your family. 

• Upvote 1

10 cases of the new strain or whatever it's fucking called been detected in Denmark. Imagine how many cases are in more high profile countries/city in Europe.

It's a fucking mess. We've effectively gone back to March, the only difference is we have a vaccine, but can't roll this out fast enough unfortunately.

Ground all flights and shut everything down just like we did back then.

On 21/12/2020 at 10:51, TheHowieLama said:

Hate to say this as well but the next time around I doubt there will be a global co-operative effort. 

Pfizer proved that by not taking any money from any gubmint - they want to own this stuff, not give it away.

Pfizer just took a second order from US gubmint - they have already covered their cost of development and made 2 bil in profit.

Allegedly....

Best wishes to everyone on here who has this themselves or has a family member suffering with it. 

I've just had another pre-Christmas test and it was negative. Massive queues at the one stop shop on Park Road. Said 15 minute wait. Took about 1 hour 20 altogether. Which, taking into account the size of the queue, was actually quite impressive. I expected a 3 hour wait. 

We were all entertained by the local dickhead hanging out of the window of the flats opposite the testing centre, who shouted "fuck off, yer knobheads, it's all a hoax. We're the Everton!" 

Weird breed, them. 

1 hour ago, dirk grout said:

I do. 

Not sure about Iraq though, but they donna celebrate Santa so fuck em.