You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I'm convinced I've caught it from school.  In a small room with near 30 children every day.  Advised to stay 2m away which makes educating them properly impossible.  Strictly maintaining pods keeping classes apart for 6 hours a day and then watching them hug and play with their mates from other classes the second they leave the school gates as parents look on.  Kids being sent in unwell, instead of parents taking them for tests and isolating them.  Kids being sent back into school before their isolation period is over because parents had no option but to go back to work. 

Government should've been stronger, closed the schools and supported parents and businesses.  How much per household/business could've been used from the track and trace money?  Massive failings from day 1 of the pandemic.  

Kids can't transmit it remember 

9 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

We are getting all non-essentials closed tonight until the 19th of January. Schools shut this Wednesday. Last time they shut the coffeeshops in March there was outrage and they got reopened for takeaway within 24 hours. 

Brutal. Whats the general attitude to masks like there? 

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Coffeeshops?

weed-lebowski.gif

I think it's fair to target as many resources as possible to combat covid atm tbh, but what really struck me last Sunday as I was being wheeled between many parts of this hospital was just how unrelentingly filthy, broken, ramshackle and damaged it is.

The initial assessment unit was plastic sheeting and DIY bits of 2x4 wood cobbled together incredibly crudely. The whole place looking like a former USSR mental hospital.

Moving between wards and parts of the hospital it was just crack after crack and unrelenting filth and grime and infection.

The staff are doing an amazing job under these outrageous circumstances, I've said before that were it not for one specific nurses dilligance and professionalism I would have died last Monday night.

It's shameful how the Tory's seem content to bask in this "5th largest economy in the world" label whilst purposely overseeing utterly disgraceful and generational levels of underfunding and cynical sell offs, the likes of which would take decades to reverse.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I think it's fair to target as many resources as possible to combat covid atm tbh, but what really struck me last Sunday as I was being wheeled between many parts of this hospital was just how unrelentingly filthy, broken, ramshackle and damaged it is.

The initial assessment unit was plastic sheeting and DIY bits of 2x4 wood cobbled together incredibly crudely. The whole place looking like a former USSR mental hospital.

Moving between wards and parts of the hospital it was just crack after crack and unrelenting filth and grime and infection.

The staff are doing an amazing job under these outrageous circumstances, I've said before that were it not for one specific nurses dilligance and professionalism I would have died last Monday night.

It's shameful how the Tory's seem content to bask in this "5th largest economy in the world" label whilst purposely overseeing utterly disgraceful and generational levels of underfunding and cynical sell offs, the likes of which would take decades to reverse.

The NHS staff by and large are superb at their jobs. Diligent, well trained and caring. The facilities and conditions they have to work with though are awful. The Royal in Liverpool is on its last legs and I spent bit of time at the Royal Free in North London with my ex and it was like going back in time in certain parts of it. 

Whiston Hospital seems ok now its been re-built to be fair. 

• Upvote 2

The lack of beds, nurses and facilities is a fucking disgrace.

I was reading an article today where a senior member of the NHS in Wales was screaming for lockdown - the reasoning was that the 184 (yes you read it right) one hundred and eighty fucking four critical care beds in Wales are nearly full.....about half of which are taken up by Covid patients....

I find it disgusting that in 2020 a country of 3.5m has less than 200 critical care beds....and therefore just say 150 people needing a bed because of covid basically overwhelms the infrastructure.

Absolutely disgusting and frankly laughable.....imagine if Wales had even 500 beds, everybodys life could be very different there, the sick and the healthy.

I understand that an ITU bed without a nurse is just a bed, but fuck me it is terrible that we have such limited capacity....i was reading one nurse at a biggish hozzy in Wales say their 8 beds were nearly all full.......how are we ever gonna get out of this situation if 9 people needing a critical care bed causes a hospital to be over capacity.

It's fucking disgraceful.

• Upvote 1

https://m.dw.com/en/germany-anti-lockdown-protest-leader-contracts-covid/a-55915671

A leader of the "Querdenker" group was reportedly intubated in Leipzig after contracting COVID.

Meanwhile, a court ruled that protesters in Dresden may not be allowed to demonstrate against restrictions.

A prominent leader of the "Querdenker" (lateral thinker) movement in the eastern German city of Leipzig contracted COVID-19 and had to be hospitalized, reported Leipziger Volkszeitung (LVZ) newspaper on Saturday.       

This "new strain" in the south east sums up everything that's wrong with the current setup.

Hancock needs to impose tier 3, can't be arsed explaining why, but starts going on about some new strain instead. There's probably loads of them, but the press picks up on it and that becomes the story..

Moonshot.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Heartbreaking. But just the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-55300747

This sort of thing happens all the time and would have more than likely have happened even if there wasn't a pandemic in place. The fact that they got a scan within the first 2 months and passed away suggests that the cancer was too far advanced or too aggressive.  

You are living in a fantasy land if you think that you can just walk in to an NHS hospital with a pain in your pelvis and get a same day MRI scan! 

28 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This "new strain" in the south east sums up everything that's wrong with the current setup.

Hancock needs to impose tier 3, can't be arsed explaining why, but starts going on about some new strain instead. There's probably loads of them, but the press picks up on it and that becomes the story..

Moonshot.

Aye.

Viruses mutate all the time, it's just what they do. And so far we've been given the "scare" but not the "answer" and the answer won't be forthcoming any time soon, there are now scary headlines everywhere - but no scientific detail to know how significant this actually is....but that does not matter as meanwhile Joe Public sees the headlines and thinks 'fuck its even more dangerous than it was, it is getting worse i need to be extra careful'....

27 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Moonshot.

More akin to Button-moon, than Moon-shot. 

History will damn these buffoons for causing so many deaths. 

21 minutes ago, an tha said:

Aye.

Viruses mutate all the time, it's just what they do. And so far we've been given the "scare" but not the "answer" and the answer won't be forthcoming any time soon, there are now scary headlines everywhere - but no scientific detail to know how significant this actually is....but that does not matter as meanwhile Joe Public sees the headlines and thinks 'fuck its even more dangerous than it was, it is getting worse i need to be extra careful'....

Well, people do need to be extra careful, there's definitely been some complacency (even more so) creeping in.

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

The NHS staff by and large are superb at their jobs. Diligent, well trained and caring. The facilities and conditions they have to work with though are awful. The Royal in Liverpool is on its last legs and I spent bit of time at the Royal Free in North London with my ex and it was like going back in time in certain parts of it. 

Whiston Hospital seems ok now its been re-built to be fair. 

Its a similar story here. Our nearest hospital Good Hope (nicknamed No Hope) is like the hospital in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. The Royal Derby is a really impressive hospital though. A few friends work there and say its the best hospital they have ever worked at. I know a nurse that works at Whiston and it seems like one of the better ones up there?  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

This sort of thing happens all the time and would have more than likely have happened even if there wasn't a pandemic in place. The fact that they got a scan within the first 2 months and passed away suggests that the cancer was too far advanced or too aggressive.  

You are living in a fantasy land if you think that you can just walk in to an NHS hospital with a pain in your pelvis and get a same day MRI scan! 

Well indeed, you can't just walk in anywhere at the moment, as I tried when I attended a walk-in centre last week, only to find you have to book in advance. Some "walk-in centre" that is. I had to ring the number on the front door and wait outside in the cold for 45 minutes with an ill person who needed medical attention. I'm led to believe we were lucky to even get seen that quickly. And all because of the blessed covid.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Of course people need to comply with restrictions - to be scared into doing so because 'its mutating, folks' is IMO wrong.

There have already been multiple mutations, all weaker than the strongest most potent strain.

If the government are suggesting that its mutating in to a more dangerous strain, that's misleading. 

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

There have already been multiple mutations, all weaker than the strongest most potent strain.

If the government are suggesting that its mutating in to a more dangerous strain, that's misleading. 

It would be but they've lied the whole way through this.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Moonshot.

The new variant will be used as justification for putting London in to Tier 3. It's definitely not because they should have put London in to tier 3 at the end of lockdown.

48 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I can't recall them talking about mutations in same way they talked about them today - a day when they placed the largest city in the country into the highest tier....

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well indeed, you can't just walk in anywhere at the moment, as I tried when I attended a walk-in centre last week, only to find you have to book in advance. Some "walk-in centre" that is. I had to ring the number on the front door and wait outside in the cold for 45 minutes with an ill person who needed medical attention. I'm led to believe we were lucky to even get seen that quickly. And all because of the blessed covid.

Exactly, it's ridiculous.  What they should have done is let more people catch Covid and fill the hospitals to be able to have room in hospitals for other patients.

• Upvote 3

37 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Exactly, it's ridiculous.  What they should have done is let more people catch Covid and fill the hospitals to be able to have room in hospitals for other patients.

Oh, it's my amazing ability to infect people with covid, despite not actually having it, rearing its head again.