Quantcast
Coronavirus - Page 1164 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Bjornebye

Coronavirus

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/08/health/covid-vaccine-mask.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

The new Covid-19 vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna seem to be remarkably good at preventing serious illness. But it’s unclear how well they will curb the spread of the coronavirus.

That’s because the Pfizer and Moderna trials tracked only how many vaccinated people became sick with Covid-19. That leaves open the possibility that some vaccinated people get infected without developing symptoms, and could then silently transmit the virus — especially if they come in close contact with others or stop wearing masks.

If vaccinated people are silent spreaders of the virus, they may keep it circulating in their communities, putting unvaccinated people at risk.

“A lot of people are thinking that once they get vaccinated, they’re not going to have to wear masks anymore,” said Michal Tal, an immunologist at Stanford University. “It’s really going to be critical for them to know if they have to keep wearing masks, because they could still be contagious.”

In most respiratory infections, including the new coronavirus, the nose is the main port of entry. The virus rapidly multiplies there, jolting the immune system to produce a type of antibodies that are specific to mucosa, the moist tissue lining the nose, mouth, lungs and stomach. If the same person is exposed to the virus a second time, those antibodies, as well as immune cells that remember the virus, rapidly shut down the virus in the nose before it gets a chance to take hold elsewhere in the body.

The coronavirus vaccines, in contrast, are injected deep into the muscles and quickly absorbed into the blood, where they stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies. This appears to be enough protection to keep the vaccinated person from getting ill.

Some of those antibodies will circulate to the nasal mucosa and stand guard there, but it’s not clear how much of the antibody pool can be mobilized, or how quickly. If the answer is not much, then viruses could bloom in the nose — and be sneezed or breathed out to infect others.

“It’s a race: It depends whether the virus can replicate faster, or the immune system can control it faster,” said Marion Pepper, an immunologist at the University of Washington in Seattle. “It’s a really important question.”

This is why mucosal vaccines, like the nasal spray FluMist or the oral polio vaccine, are better than intramuscular injections at fending off respiratory viruses, experts said.

On 08/12/2020 at 09:30, Anubis said:

Interesting (and by interesting I mean slightly disturbing) thread from Florida scientist Rebekah Jones who has been running a website critical of how Florida is handling Coronavirus cases.

The land of the free!

14 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

The land of the free!

She set a camera recording before she answered the door.  She then shouted the claim about her kids but her video didn't show any kids.  As far as 'evidence' goes, it's all pointing at her being a cunt. 

18 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

She set a camera recording before she answered the door.  She then shouted the claim about her kids but her video didn't show any kids.  As far as 'evidence' goes, it's all pointing at her being a cunt. 

Really?  That’s your take?  Fucking hell. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Any new updates mate? Still all wired up or are they looking at letting you home anytime soon? 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Any new updates mate? Still all wired up or are they looking at letting you home anytime soon? 

My oxygen consumption rates / the amount of oxygen the ventilator is usi g to pump into my lungs, just like this very second, have been getting constantly dialled back because my body is accepting and holding onto oxygen molecular much better and my O2 saturation is holding.

Feeling much stronger, still gonna be several days though, touch wood.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 21

13 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

My oxygen consumption rates / the amount of oxygen the ventilator is usi g to pump into my lungs, just like this very second, have been getting constantly dialled back because my body is accepting and holding onto oxygen molecular much better and my O2 saturation is holding.

How close are you to feeling like you could have a wank? That’ll tell us how bad you are. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

He just said touch wood.

Hopefully there will be a nice nurse to do it for him. And he’ll be gentle. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Really?  That’s your take?  Fucking hell. 

It's harsh out there. But evidence isn't in her favour.  Seems like a standard procedure of entering a house on a country where citizens can buy assault weapons. 

25 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

While he’s typing this out...

tenor.gif

22 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It's harsh out there. But evidence isn't in her favour.  Seems like a standard procedure of entering a house on a country where citizens can buy assault weapons. 

Have you seen why they raided her house?  A

very minor cyber crime charge that looks like it was politically motivated and designed to identify who her contacts were.  

32 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

How close are you to feeling like you could have a wank? That’ll tell us how bad you are. 

If he’s gone private that should all be taken care of.  

52 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Good to hear mate. 

19 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Hanging in there but nearly died in the early hours when my oxygen saturation plummeted to 33, only the ventilator and a great nurse brought me back.

I've had a good day, dropped oxygen levels slightly on the ventilator because my saturation level has been stable.

Long way to go yet though.

Fuck me, that sounds awful 

Let's hope the worst is past!!

Thoughts & prayers, man, and I mean that seriously

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I'm stealing this for the next time I blag a sick day in the hopes of eliciting this response from the office manager who then tells me to take the rest of the week off. 

Cfw8wZA.gif

So, people with previous significant allergies are now being told not to take the Pfizer vaccine. They don't think that having the vaccine will stop you from catching it, and you may still spread it. It sounds like a decent treatment rather than a vaccine.

The Oxford one seems to have much better benefits really, and it doesn't need to be stored at -1000 degrees!

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

So, people with previous significant allergies are now being told not to take the Pfizer vaccine. They don't think that having the vaccine will stop you from catching it, and you may still spread it. It sounds like a decent treatment rather than a vaccine.

The Oxford one seems to have much better benefits really, and it doesn't need to be stored at -1000 degrees!

And is three quid and can made in mega bulk. 

• Upvote 1

A bit like when you need an antibiotic and the doctor asks if you are allergic to penicillin, if you say yes they give you something else.  

Do you have any serious allergies? 
Yes

Ok have this version of the vaccine

Simple.