You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Got the Covid lads. Just no smell and feels like a cold at the minute. If it stays this way I'll take it 

You need to equalise your body temperature by standing naked, arms spread out, in the garden for 30 minutes. We’ve all had to do it.

3 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Plenty of fluids, gentle exercise and stuff your face with all the good stuff.

Sleep face down, flat on your face, for 2 hour stretches and get a thermometer.

But.... if he's sleeping on his face, where will he put the thermometer?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, suzy said:

Hopefully it’s just a mild case.

Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Sleep on something waterproof mate 

Always do. 

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

You need to equalise your body temperature by standing naked, arms spread out, in the garden for 30 minutes. We’ve all had to do it.

Tried that.  Made matters worse. 

• Upvote 1

Heartbreaking. But just the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-55300747

Leeds man who 'begged' for MRI scan dies from cancer

A man who had to "beg" to get an MRI scan because of the Covid-19 crisis has died of cancer, his family have said.

Sherwin Hall, 27, from Leeds, first went to hospital on 23 March suffering leg pain but was misdiagnosed and sent away with a course of antibiotics.

After 13 visits in four weeks a scan on 26 May revealed a tumour in his pelvis and 30 small tumours on his lungs.

Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust said it had maintained scanning for all "urgent interventions".

Mr Hall's wife LaTroya said had his cancer been found sooner "it is likely he would still be here today".

Before his death, Mr Hall said he "kept begging" for a scan but was told services had been "slowed down because of the coronavirus".

Mrs Hall, who is being supported by the Catch Up With Cancer Campaign, said she was "devastated" and had "lost the love of my life".

The campaign was launched by the parents of Macclesfield beautician Kelly Smith who died after her treatment for bowel cancer was stopped as a result of the pandemic.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yes, very tragic. You using it to point score is fucking disgusting. 

It's come to something when I can't point out the collateral damage of our health service focusing on covid to the exclusion of everything else without you accusing me of point scoring.

Is this the coronavirus thread or isn't it?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's come to something when I can't point out the collateral damage of our health service focusing on covid to the exclusion of everything else without you accusing me of point scoring.

Is this the coronavirus thread or isn't it?

You were using it to point score, you know it and I know it. Your self-awareness is non existent. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

You were using it to point score, you know it and I know it. Your self-awareness is non existent. 

What you're essentially telling me is that I can't even mention things like this. I find that absurd. The practical consequences of our coronavirus approach should be absolutely ripe for discussion.

Besides which, there are no points to be scored here.

55 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That is shrapnel from Governments not taking COVID seriously enough in the first place and letting it get out of control. If people could point to people in Vietnam and places like that who cut down the spread of COVID right away being refused scans for cancer, they'd have a point that focus on COVID was overbearing, but that's not the case.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What you're essentially telling me is that I can't even mention things like this. I find that absurd. The practical consequences of our coronavirus approach should be absolutely ripe for discussion.

Besides which, there are no points to be scored here.

Of course they should be pointed out but the manner in which you did it (do it all the time) considering people who post a lot in this thread to both covid and that other bastard disease is fucking appalling.

You've been wrong about this virus since day 1 yet have the front to ask if anyones going to be man enough to admit they were wrong. You're a snide little gobshite in this thread, it's a fucking shame because you're sound in most other threads. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Worth mentioning that tragedies like this happen without Covid, too. One of my best friends lost her brother-in-law to just this situation a few years ago. Two young daughters under 10 now without a dad. When she and her sister went to see the GP Jerry had repeatedly gone to and asked for scans, to try to understand how it wasn’t picked up when he was so pro-active in seeking help, he hung his head and cried inconsolably when saying how sorry he was for repeatedly missing it and for the constraints within the system which mean they have to make a judgment call on when something is serious enough for a scan to be permitted. Jerry ultimately paid for a private scan, which is when it was picked up, as he was so frightened, having continually said he knew it was something serious. The health service was already horribly stretched and whether through lockdowns or Covid running freely in the population and maxing out hospital capacity, there are going to be huge knock-on consequences to it of a global pandemic of this magnitude. And I say that as someone who’s had significant issues from a risk perspective in accessing much needed treatment and been unable to see his clinical team all year. It also, obviously, goes without saying that this is a terrible thing that’s happened to this guy and his family.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Maybe if people started taking the virus more seriously, the hospitals wouldn't be completely overrun and this sort of thing wouldn't be happening.

But you already know that.

Hospitals were not overrun in March. My brother was telling me in April that his hospital was eerily quiet and the nurses in work were making Tik Tok videos all day. They wanted to see patients but the government wouldn't let them.

7 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Big queues at the coffeeshops again. Stoners taking no chances. 

Are you're getting hit bad again over there? 

Them twats in London out shopping in big crowds without masks on at the weekend will be the ones crying about London going into Tier 3. I know masks aren't enforced outside but fucking hell the lack of common sense is frightening. People are thick stupid arrogant bastards. 

I'm convinced I've caught it from school.  In a small room with near 30 children every day.  Advised to stay 2m away which makes educating them properly impossible.  Strictly maintaining pods keeping classes apart for 6 hours a day and then watching them hug and play with their mates from other classes the second they leave the school gates as parents look on.  Kids being sent in unwell, instead of parents taking them for tests and isolating them.  Kids being sent back into school before their isolation period is over because parents had no option but to go back to work. 

Government should've been stronger, closed the schools and supported parents and businesses.  How much per household/business could've been used from the track and trace money?  Massive failings from day 1 of the pandemic.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Are you're getting hit bad again over there? 

Them twats in London out shopping in big crowds without masks on at the weekend will be the ones crying about London going into Tier 3. I know masks aren't enforced outside but fucking hell the lack of common sense is frightening. People are thick stupid arrogant bastards. 

We are getting all non-essentials closed tonight until the 19th of January. Schools shut this Wednesday. Last time they shut the coffeeshops in March there was outrage and they got reopened for takeaway within 24 hours.