You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Did someone put on here that the government wont guarantee this vaccine so the disclaimer is "if you turn into an Elk then its your own fault" ? 

Of course the vaccine is optional but you can see why some would be sceptical if there is no insurance giving it being rolled out in record time. 

As far as I'm concerned though you can pour me a pint of it. I've had Covid (I still don't think that makes me immune despite what the fella on here with the degree in Coronavirus says) and I'd rather not have it again, nor do I want anyone I care about to get it. Plus, we need to get back to some normality soon. I'm starting to lose the plot big time. 

If immunity exists then you will be 'immune' to it as a result of previous infection. The level of immunity you have (complete protection/protection against serious complications etc) is a different question, however vaccines are designed to induce a higher immune response than the natural infection.

On the wideness of the roll-out of the vaccine, I think it'll initially be similar to the flu jab criteria. But, longer term, as we get even more knowledge about the long term effects of the virus (things such as long Covid, the recent studies which found that the virus can settle amongst gut bacteria and is manifesting itself as a debilitating, chronic condition in an increasing amount of otherwise healthy younger people) then I think it will have to be rolled out to more people, eventually to everyone who wants it. 

4 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

So Hancock announces this morning that the Pfizer vaccine has had approval (we are the first country in the world to give it approval) and will start to be rolled out for NHS staff from next week. Anybody would think they wanted to change today’s news cycle so it doesn’t focus on over 50 of his MPs voting against Johnson’s new tier measures.

Europe is waiting until December 29th as that is when the European Medical Agency hope to have the application approved. Not sure who's approved it in the UK. 

5 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

40m of the Pfizer vaccine on order according to this which is enough for 20m people to get it. We have definitely put almost all our eggs in the Oxford one. You just know they will make a mess of the rollout and there will be a massive hoo-ha when it’s revealed that the rich and important are getting it before more vulnerable people.

204BF8C7-CA7C-4255-A8A7-0FBC13F368F9.jpeg

Cananda?

They must be chuffed.

1 hour ago, Nelly-Torres said:

This. I'm complying with everything, but the masks on and off is beginning to piss me off. Plus, I'd love a little late spring break away somewhere. And the whole people dying and getting ill side of it sucks too, of course. 

I can handle the masks its those dickheads who wear them under their nose that piss me off

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Europe is waiting until December 29th as that is when the European Medical Agency hope to have the application approved. Not sure who's approved it in the UK. 

Wasn't it MHRA? 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

This is what cracks me up. Why would the governments of the world want to 'force' people to wear masks if they didn't think they would help? Why would the governments of the world sit back and lock everyone down and watch the destruction of high streets?

Absolute fucking colander heads.  

the other thing that makes me laugh is these people who complain about masks mostly do on the grounds of it impinging on civil liberties. yet these same people would surely then be against the relentless camera surveillance we have everywhere? Then surely masks are good as they help us avoid that video surveillance and regain some level of civil liberties? 

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

the other thing that makes me laugh is these people who complain about masks mostly do on the grounds of it impinging on civil liberties. yet these same people would surely then be against the relentless camera surveillance we have everywhere? Then surely masks are good as they help us avoid that video surveillance and regain some level of civil liberties? 

I saw the pictures of the fuckers in town marching the other weekend. Almost every single one of them should be made to permanently wear a mask. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Would it not make more sense to vaccinate people over 70 who live independently and are active in society before those who live in care homes?

care homes are the settings with the most deaths i would guess. if they get herd immunity in the care homes, even if one or two "new" people come in with it, they can't kill off 20. 

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

care homes are the settings with the most deaths i would guess. if they get herd immunity in the care homes, even if one or two "new" people come in with it, they can't kill off 20. 

But surely it is easier to control the virus being brought into care homes than it is to control it for old folks in the post office/on the bus/in the pub etc....i realise they fucked up this in first place and it ripped through all care settings, but now with testing and ok vaccinating the people who work in them i just would have thought it would make more sense to vaccinate the vulnerable who are out and about and at risk of community transmission first.

Complex i know, was just a thought.

22 minutes ago, an tha said:

But surely it is easier to control the virus being brought into care homes than it is to control it for old folks in the post office/on the bus/in the pub etc....i realise they fucked up this in first place and it ripped through all care settings, but now with testing and ok vaccinating the people who work in them i just would have thought it would make more sense to vaccinate the vulnerable who are out and about and at risk of community transmission first.

Complex i know, was just a thought.

I think because of how people live in care homes and how many people would normally come in and out (and the number is quite considerable anyway just for staff) the care home deaths lead the way (and not just this country) with deaths. I just think we (and some other countries too) got it double bad at the beginning. 

Interesting exchange from the briefing today:

Johnson seems baffled at Van-Tam comments

fa468b31-8867-4ce3-b3f0-b59e7effa293.jpg

Jonathan Blake

BBC political correspondent

"It may be a good thing, but on the other hand..."

The prime minister doesn't seem very impressed with Jonathan Van-Tam's claim that coronavirus safety measures may be with us long term.

Boris Johnson looked a bit baffled and says people want to reclaim their lives.

"I didn't mean to challenge you," he says before the deputy chief medical officer then clarifies his point that he hopes we'll get back to a much more normal world as soon as possible.

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think because of how people live in care homes and how many people would normally come in and out (and the number is quite considerable anyway just for staff) the care home deaths lead the way (and not just this country) with deaths. I just think we (and some other countries too) got it double bad at the beginning. 

Care home deaths defo led the way yeah because of the catastrophic failure to limit it getting into them.

I can see the thought process behind the decision and of course maybe them and the old who are active will be done very closely together anyway.....must be easier too to give it to the active/independent.