You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, I feel like a selfish cunt for thinking this way. But frankly I haven't seen my family for about 10 months and I'd quite like to.

They’re fine. At least they look fine through the window. 

9 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

This does pretty positive news for at least a return to something approaching normality possibly by early Spring. 

Kurtz will be on this like a flash. 

18 minutes ago, Numero said:

Over 90% effective. That’d be nice. I’m really longing for everything to go back to normal. I know it’ll be a while yet, but I’m genuinely sick of the whole thing. I know people are dying and have had it much worse then me, but also it’s just fucking draining. 

I've felt the same the last couple of weeks, it's really starting to get on my tits now. It's my Mum's 60th on Wednesday & I won't get to see her, I've also not seen a lot of my best mates since February/March. 

I worry about the kids too, they're 2 & 4 & I've been wondering if they're going to have a normal childhood.

I don't think this vaccine will be the quick fix we're hoping for though.

Just now, Mook said:

If it can protect front line workers, those with underlying conditions, and anyone over 60/65 (for example), then I think it'll make a huge difference to our lives.

Wasn't the UK order for 30m doses? So a 90% hit rate for the 15m most vulnerable people in the country. I don't see how it couldn't have a hugely positive effect even in the relatively short term.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I've felt the same the last couple of weeks, it's really starting to get on my tits now. It's my Mum's 60th on Wednesday & I won't get to see her, I've also not seen a lot of my best mates since February/March. 

I worry about the kids too, they're 2 & 4 & I've been wondering if they're going to have a normal childhood.

It probably won’t, no. It will surely improve it over time though. Like Jair, I do feel selfish but fucking hell, it’s tedious as fuck. Just going out shopping, wearing a mask is a constant reminder that the fucker that’s way too close to you might have the lurgy and you might take it home, then there’s the actual risk of being hospitalised or even dying, not to mention the fake crowd noises are probably worse than the mass deaths across the world. How much more can we take. 

Seriously, as long as it takes to keep people healthy, but FFS, hurry up and science this shit. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Fingers crossed this is the game changer everybody's hoping for.

To be able to see my 78 year old Mum who has been on her own since March and to give my 5 Grandkids a hug, I don't have the words for.

How are the family doing mate? 

WHO 'special envoy' already come out to temper things:

It is great news that there are promising signs from vaccine trials, but a vaccine will not be a total game changer, an expert has warned.

Dr David Nabarro, World Health Organization special envoy on Covid-19, said it was important for people, and governments, to maintain behaviour which had helped to slow the spread of the virus even if a vaccine was available.

"I just want to stress that these principles that we have been working for are still absolutely essential even if a vaccine arrives in the next few months," he said.

A vaccine will help but it is not going to be a complete game changer."

He said the vaccine still had to go through regulatory processes and said there were always "many steps" before authorities could say a vaccine was "safe and effective", and he predicted it would take "a few months" at least.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Covid-19 vaccine candidate is 90% effective, says manufacturer

Interim analysis of vaccine by Pfizer/BioNTech far exceeds expectations of most experts

Sarah_Boseley,_R.png?w=450&h=-&q=95&fit=Sarah Boseley Health editor
Published:11:47 Mon 9 November 2020
 Follow Sarah Boseley

A vaccine against Covid-19 is in sight, with the announcement of the first interim results in large-scale trials showing the Pfizer/BioNTech candidate is 90% effective, according to the manufacturers, whose analysis shows a much better performance than most experts had hoped for.

The high percentage of those protected makes the findings compelling. Regulators have said they would approve a vaccine that is just 50% effective – protecting half those who get it. The company says there are no serious side-effects.

“Today is a great day for science and humanity. The first set of results from our Phase 3 Covid-19 vaccine trial provides the initial evidence of our vaccine’s ability to prevent Covid-19,” said Dr Albert Bourla, Pfizer chairman and CEO.

“We are reaching this critical milestone in our vaccine development program at a time when the world needs it most with infection rates setting new records, hospitals nearing over-capacity and economies struggling to reopen.”

The trial will continue until there have been 164 confirmed cases so there is potential for the efficacy rate to change, but a finding that 90% of infections were prevented will excite politicians and public health leaders alike and brings into view a potential end to the pandemic.

The phase 3 trials have involved more than 43,000 people. People from black and ethnic minority backgrounds appear to have been as well protected as everyone else, the company says.

Gathering the required safety data will take until the third week of November, says the company. The dossier will then be submitted to the regulators for approval. Speedy licensing could mean the first doses in healthcare workers by the end of the year.

Coincidence that this has been announced a few days after Trump loses the election?

I THINK NOT

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

How are the family doing mate? 

They're all doing fine thanks.

The little one had an appointment at Alder Hey on Friday so they stopped off at ours so we could see him through the window.

He was beaming.

My lad said it was horrible and that he wouldn't tell us at the time

how bad he was.

They got through it ok though thankfully. 

He's 35 and my daughter is 33 and a teacher, so she's at risk.

You never stop worrying. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

They're all doing fine thanks.

The little one had an appointment at Alder Hey on Friday so they stopped off at ours so we could see him through the window.

He was beaming.

My lad said it was horrible and that he wouldn't tell us at the time

how bad he was.

They got through it ok though thankfully. 

He's 35 and my daughter is 33 and a teacher, so she's at risk.

You never stop worrying. 

Bloody hell mate. Fingers crossed they are over it pronto. 

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

WHO 'special envoy' already come out to temper things:

It is great news that there are promising signs from vaccine trials, but a vaccine will not be a total game changer, an expert has warned.

Dr David Nabarro, World Health Organization special envoy on Covid-19, said it was important for people, and governments, to maintain behaviour which had helped to slow the spread of the virus even if a vaccine was available.

"I just want to stress that these principles that we have been working for are still absolutely essential even if a vaccine arrives in the next few months," he said.

A vaccine will help but it is not going to be a complete game changer."

He said the vaccine still had to go through regulatory processes and said there were always "many steps" before authorities could say a vaccine was "safe and effective", and he predicted it would take "a few months" at least.

Just googled "David Nabarro"

James-Pearce.jpg?w=640

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

I want everyone to take their own decision. I won't be taking a vaccine which has been developed in about 10 months and is exempt from the Government Vaccine Damage Payment.

Note the pivot here?

For months it’s ‘we must stop lockdowns, we must think of the economy and the greater good’

Heres a vaccine - ‘well I’m not talking that in case the billion to one chance it makes me ill comes true.’

Here’s a thought, we treat everyone who doesn’t take (not can’t) as vulnerable and isolate them as youve been suggesting. Job done. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Note the pivot here?

For months it’s ‘we must stop lockdowns, we must think of the economy and the greater good’

Heres a vaccine - ‘well I’m not talking that in case the billion to one chance it makes me ill comes true.’

Here’s a thought, we treat everyone who doesn’t take (not can’t) as vulnerable and isolate them as youve been suggesting. Job done. 

I can understand reservations about a vaccine that hasn't had thorough clinical trials but the hypocrisy in certain quarters is just sickening. Them absolute wankers in Manchester yesterday all without masks, mingling, chanting against the lockdown without a hint of irony. Stupid thick cunts. They should all be locked up for murder then bummed and shot to death then set on fucking fire and made to watch re-runs of Location Location Location with Kirstie fucking Allsopp the stupid bitch she probably caused this whole virus. She's done something anyway 

BBC saying we hope to have 10m doses this side of Christmas.

A quick Google of the age of our population tells me that would be close to doing everybody over 65.

A further 1.6m work for the NHS.

Apparently 2m are classed as extremely vulnerable to the virus, I'd assume a large % of that would be in the >65 population.

Issue is you need an initial injection and then a secondary 3 one weeks later. Also, the vaccine needs to be kept at -80d.

I wonder how long it'd take to roll out that first 10m to people? I was thinking it'd be like a school TB jab where a year group of 200+ could be done in a morning, but that seems somewhat unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

They are mate.

How's your new little niece doing by the way?

She's great. Saw her last week but obviously wont now for another month. Face-timed them on Saturday and she was awake but just started kicking off when our kid had the phone in her face. They've made the mistake of letting her sleep in the bed with them, she goes ape-shit when they put her in her cot now. Silly bastards. 

• Upvote 1