You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

can you mention that to keita please? 

do we not make those decisions all of the time though? if i get in a car, it's because i want to get somewhere quicker. i might knock someone over or be involved in a crash, but i weigh up that against how difficult it would be to not drive and i just drive and to hell with the consequences. we make choices all the time like this. without going all SD, flu kills people every year, but we don't lockdown to prevent the spread.

we could keep going on about the environmental impact of getting on a plane and how we should all never fly. and we should never eat beef. we make choices every day that have potential or actual health impacts on others, but most people make those same choices regardless - i enjoyed the steak i had yesterday. it is part of the governments job in a health crisis to guide us through it. I can't blame anyone for going away on holiday if the government allowed it. it seemed nothing more than a complete fucking headache to me going abroad this year, but I don't think you can criticise those who did it. if anyone is to blame it is the government here and the destination countries to blame. 

All of those examples you have referred to have been tuned into normality and tested out for years. Your risk perception is far greater than an unknown virus thats brand new and we don't know what impact it will have yet. I'm not full on militant "Though shalt not travel" and swinging swords over it, I am using it as an example to two anti-mask posters who both went on a holiday mid-pandemic of how they come across as quite selfish. 

I personally don't think it's great to drag a family to a town in a different country during a global pandemic. Thats my opinion. I'm entitled to it. I'm not right, or wrong. 

If 100 surgeons go into to a tesco where all the staff are infected, chances are none of the surgeons will get infected.

If 100 ordinary people with no medical experience go into the same tesco wearing masks chances are a few will get the virus.

If the same 100 people go in with no mask chances are loads of the them will get it.

Moral of the story is that tesco should be closed.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

All of those examples you have referred to have been tuned into normality and tested out for years. Your risk perception is far greater than an unknown virus thats brand new and we don't know what impact it will have yet. I'm not full on militant "Though shalt not travel" and swinging swords over it, I am using it as an example to two anti-mask posters who both went on a holiday mid-pandemic of how they come across as quite selfish. 

I personally don't think it's great to drag a family to a town in a different country during a global pandemic. Thats my opinion. I'm entitled to it. I'm not right, or wrong. 

Here's the thing though, we might need to face up to the fact this fucking thing is the new reality. We could find ourselves living with this virus for years. I think we need to find ways of living with it. It's not the same for all of us how we'll deal with it. I get your point you think it's selfish. I personally would say people who don't adhere to the rules are selfish..if you're fitting within regulations you are doing your bit. And some people might do more. For instance I like to shop pretty regularly - so I buy what I know I need and not have a fridge full of stuff going off. But since this started I have made a point of shopping at maximum once per week. I don't think everybody should do that though, it's just a choice I've taken. Equally, I like a pint, so any chance  I get I go for one, but I know lots of others will be more conservative than me about that. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Here's the thing though, we might need to face up to the fact this fucking thing is the new reality. We could find ourselves living with this virus for years. I think we need to find ways of living with it. It's not the same for all of us how we'll deal with it. I get your point you think it's selfish. I personally would say people who don't adhere to the rules are selfish..if you're fitting within regulations you are doing your bit. And some people might do more. For instance I like to shop pretty regularly - so I buy what I know I need and not have a fridge full of stuff going off. But since this started I have made a point of shopping at maximum once per week. I don't think everybody should do that though, it's just a choice I've taken. Equally, I like a pint, so any chance  I get I go for one, but I know lots of others will be more conservative than me about that. 

I agree we will have to face up to it at some point but 3/4 months into it was too soon IMO to be getting on a plane when death rates were still huge. If only everyone did just abide by the rules. 

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

To be fair, they're ruined anyway.

Spain got about a fortnight of Brits and Germans holidaying here before the whole thing was shut down by the quarantine measures.

I think the government quickly backtracked when they were told to keep people on these shores to spend their money here not abroad. 

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes, I was obliged to.

Not really sure what your point is.

Even though they don't work, you felt obliged to when there are people who don't wear them who are also obliged to. 

It's almost like you're the decent guy trying to come across as the bad boy. 

55 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

367 UK deaths in the past 24 hours...

07a62d8666cd5970075e8fbef0af2524.jpg

It's grim as fuck, that's a 50% increase compared to the same day last week. Hospitalisations are now over 10,000 compared with a peak of around 17,000 in April, Leeds hospitals now have more Covid patients than they did back then.

Some one needs to redo that Joss Ackland scene in Lethal Weapon 2 and have him blown away after saying 'herd immunity'.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Russia's government announced a nationwide mask mandate  Tuesday, a move health officials hope will blunt a sharp surge in cases that began last month.

Why?

Still waiting for that vaccine Putin announced in August, when they won the race, for start of mass production in September. They should be loading the trucks by now.

1 hour ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Even though they don't work, you felt obliged to when there are people who don't wear them who are also obliged to. 

It's almost like you're the decent guy trying to come across as the bad boy. 

No, just someone who tries to obey the law even when the law is an ass.

Anyway, everyone is missing the major issue, which is that Jedd Drudge is a revenge-negging twunt.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

T Cells was in the trending list again on twitter (the expanded list, I clicked on "# explore" when logged out, I don't have an account there now.) and I thought this was a decent read :

It's an interesting read, but the article's from the 12th of August, presumably that's why it's not 'huge news'. Has it been followed up or something?

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/201833/cell-immunity-what-does-help-protect/

https://immunology.sciencemag.org/content/5/49/eabd6160

39 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

No, just someone who tries to obey the law even when the law is an ass.

Anyway, everyone is missing the major issue, which is that Jedd Drudge is a revenge-negging twunt.

I found a box of negs, they’re all yours you cry bully.