You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with saying they are uncomfortable but saying its like having a plastic bag over your head is just lies. Masks obviously help, nobody is glad we are wearing them but decent people are accepting it and getting on with it. 

Mind you, lockdown IS making a significant number of people want to put plastic bags over their heads.

Depression skyrocketing in Melbourne.

Apparently.

7 minutes ago, Brownie said:

And that's fair enough but I've seen some comments just in response to it being uncomfortable rather than anything to do with effectiveness. I absolutely agree that they should be worn in certain settings and I wear one everywhere that's it's mandatory to do so.

I do find it really uncomfortable and harder to breathe than normal though, especially when I have glasses on. There's nothing wrong in saying that.

There's acknowledging masks are uncomfortable and there's exaggerating that you can't breathe because you want to win an argument on the internet that they're useless and hurt more than help.

• Upvote 2

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

There's acknowledging masks are uncomfortable and there's exaggerating that you can't breathe because you want to win an argument on the internet that they're useless and hurt more than help.

I assume you are all talking about SD then. I have him on ignore so don't read all of the posts, I'm just commenting on the bits I've seen which haven't been linked to the types of things you are referring to.

Of course in those circumstances, people deserve stick.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Prithee, kind Sir, but there is nowt more important, tis reputed down our way.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They work. You are wrong. Again. 

Erm he is saying they don't work yet was selling them on here not long ago. You should know what his business is, after all you tried to get him fired from it. More selfish behaviour. 

Well, it depends how you mean. Do they tick a box which makes you comply with government regulations? Yes. Do I believe they are efficacious? No. 

3 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well, it depends how you mean. Do they tick a box which makes you comply with government regulations? Yes. Do I believe they are efficacious? No. 

By what logic can you come to the conclusion that wearing masks will in some way help towards preventing the spread of a virus??? I think I know the answer.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Erin Bromage, a biology professor specializing in immunology at the University of Massachusetts on Halloween:

“A mask under a mask would be the safest way to actually go,” he said. 

Woah an expert? Not someone with a two bob degree that is barely relevant or a defensive selfish fucker trying to play don the virus?? An actual EXPERT! Wow. I'm sure he is wrong though because you know.... plastic bags over heads and lies about them. 

It always blows my mind how much some people will lie and snivel just so they aren't proven wrong despite it being so blatant. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Erin Bromage, a biology professor specializing in immunology at the University of Massachusetts on Halloween:

“A mask under a mask would be the safest way to actually go,” he said. 

So, like wearing these two on top of each other, and keeping a straight face?

images.png

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Why don't you think masks work? 

Do we really need to go through this again?

All evidence that masks work is based on lab tests, controlled environments, clinical grade masks, people being trained to done and doff, being used for the correct amount of time etc. Just watch how people use masks now, stuffed in pockets, left on dashboard, left on public tables, used to clean glasses (in the House of Commons), worn day in day out... lycra snoods, diamante fabric masks, it's just a big pacifier. 

Also contrary to what someone said earlier, I think if someone is wearing a masks they often behave as though that somehow means social distancing is not necessary.

Just now, Spy Bee said:

Do we really need to go through this again?

All evidence that masks work is based on lab tests, controlled environments, clinical grade masks, people being trained to done and doff, being used for the correct amount of time etc. Just watch how people use masks now, stuffed in pockets, left on dashboard, left on public tables, used to clean glasses (in the House of Commons), worn day in day out... lycra snoods, diamante fabric masks, it's just a big pacifier. 

Also contrary to what someone said earlier, I think if someone is wearing a masks they often behave as though that somehow means social distancing is not necessary.

Ok so by that logic you would agree that if people wore  clinical grade masks and sanitised them properly that masks would work in preventing the spread in society? (I'm giving you a get out here)

And the last statement is opinion based which is fine. I'm sure it differs person to person and I'd base that on their general level of care and awareness. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

This is a question as I don't understand it, but don't antibodies fade anyway when your body isn't under attack, but your immune system remembers how to make them should the need arise? 

One thing which still has not been observed, or at least I didn't see it reported, is significant incidence of second infection in general population. With all those people that tested positive all over Western and Central Europe in March and April you would expect many to get it again in the current huge second wave, if there is no significant immunity after 3 months.

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I think if someone is wearing a masks they often behave as though that somehow means social distancing is not necessary.

Disagree - pretty much the opposite in fact.

Seeing someone out and about now without a mask, first reaction - what a scruff.

Second reaction, stay as far away from scruff as possible.

• Upvote 2