You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

30 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Change the fucking record.

Says the man who wont shut up chatting bollocks and cries off when presented with evidence that he is wrong. 

19 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Would you wait till her period is over though?

Depends. 

2 minutes ago, Jenson said:

I would imagine so. There's no way a vaccine could be produced in such a short space of time without hijacking on the backs of existing vaccines.

Well, the vaccine for swine flu caused brain damage in some cases and people sued for damages. 

There are also numerous new methodologies being used in the vaccines currently being tested, many of which have never been used in a vaccine before. 

23 minutes ago, Jenson said:

I think it's also worth remembering that any vaccine will be built on existing technology already proven to be safe, and also probably already in use (ie. for the flu vaccine). IMO the 'safe' part of the vaccine is not really in question, it's more the effictiveness that needs to be proven.

I know people working on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine who were previously involved in this possible HIV vaccine. It took years to find out it was ineffective. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/trial-of-promising-hiv-vaccine-fails-in-south-africa/2020/02/02/5f950e3e-4600-11ea-bc78-8a18f7afcee7_story.html%3foutputType=amp

1 minute ago, cloggypop said:

I know people working on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine who were previously involved in this possible HIV vaccine. It took years to find out it was ineffective. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/health/trial-of-promising-hiv-vaccine-fails-in-south-africa/2020/02/02/5f950e3e-4600-11ea-bc78-8a18f7afcee7_story.html%3foutputType=amp

Haven't read the article, but is part of the delay trying to get volunteers to take the vaccine? 

Imagine having the bottle to take an untested vaccine for aids. It's not like you could get a cold or flu, but fucking aids!! 

2 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Haven't read the article, but is part of the delay trying to get volunteers to take the vaccine? 

Imagine having the bottle to take an untested vaccine for aids. It's not like you could get a cold or flu, but fucking aids!! 

Imagine being the fuckers on the placebo! There you go lads, carry on as you were before. 

5 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

But what is fuelling your fear a vaccine will injure you?  It’ll either work or it won’t.  The very worst that can happen is you get Covid.  Thalidomide was a drug, not a vaccine. 

Edit: by that I mean it won’t protect you from getting it, not that the vaccine will give it you.  

Reading a bit over the last few days it looks like a lot of American developers are using a mRNA system that hasn't produced a successful vaccine in 20 years. There was a measles one that gave subjects measles. Sanofi created a Dengue vaccine that made Dengue worse but it wasn't picked up for 3 years. AstraZeneca have said their Covid vaccine seems to create much worse side effects in younger people, obviously that could just be they sneeze 3 times compared to once for the elder test subjects.

It was a little am-dram of me this morning, but I just don't get this positivity over a vaccine that will have an extremely shortened testing period in comparison to what's gone before and that was really my point. I've not seen anyone mention efficacy, how long it'll provide immunity for, if it'll be effective if the virus mutates (even though it's been pretty stable in this first cycle according to most scientists), just a lot of things that will have question marks for a long while yet. 

Oh and perhaps bypass is the wrong term but if you're cutting out a lot of the testing period then it's a large part of the development and testing cycle that won't be there before the vaccine is distributed. Unless the elderly and healthcare professionals are going to be the test subjects...(tin foil hat time).

• Upvote 1

The concern is the lack of testing period.They rush this out and we could end up with another thalidomide situation (only this time on a fucking ginormous global scale) for all anyone knows. The hope was for the virus to ease off and the way it looked to be heading 6 weeks ago was just that but the recent spike is terrifying. It might be that with the change in weather and this normally being the time of year that people get the flu that immune systems weaken therefore making people more susceptible too it. Fuck knows what i'm saying there, it's probably bollocks but I guess it does tie in with countries with a similar climate. 

Covid lad do us all a favour and just fuck off. 

• Like 1

One of the most dangerous things about anti-vaxxers currently is that people with legitimate concerns around for example a Covid vaccine being rushed out with the usual timeframes and safety mechanisms potentially shortcutted can be lumped in to the same group as them.

I’m highly likely to be in the first or second group eligible for a vaccine if one does come to the market, and I’ve thought all year the sooner one arrives the more misgivings I’d have about taking it. I’ve had more flu jabs etc than most people have had hot dinners, so it’s nothing to do with being anti-vax. The political pressure for nations/groups to win this particular arms race makes it a serious concern in my view.

One to be judged on its own merits at such time as relevant. At this remove I wouldn’t make a blanket statement of definitely either having the jab or not. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

One of the most dangerous things about anti-vaxxers currently is that people with legitimate concerns around for example a Covid vaccine being rushed out with the usual timeframes and safety mechanisms potentially shortcutted can be lumped in to the same group as them.

I’m highly likely to be in the first or second group eligible for a vaccine if one does come to the market, and I’ve thought all year the sooner one arrives the more misgivings I’d have about taking it. I’ve had more flu jabs etc than most people have had hot dinners, so it’s nothing to do with being anti-vax. The political pressure for nations/groups to win this particular arms race makes it a serious concern in my view.

One to be judged on its own merits at such time as relevant. At this remove I wouldn’t make a blanket statement of definitely either having the jab or not. 

You'll look great with a second head though mate 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dr Nowt said:

She told me I look like Frank Gallagher this morning. A far cry from my own thoughts of resembling Pirlo.

Thats the thing mate. You look in the mirror and think yeah I should be modelling jackets for Dolce & Gabbana no drama, she looks at you and see's "two e's and a pint when you're ready". 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Well, the vaccine for swine flu caused brain damage in some cases and people sued for damages. 

There are also numerous new methodologies being used in the vaccines currently being tested, many of which have never been used in a vaccine before. 

Did they? When?