You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

I mean, this is what I said a month ago. Exactly the same as what I've said today:

On 18/09/2020 at 17:54, Strontium Dog™ said:

Maybe some people have said those things, but so far as I can see most lockdown sceptics agreed that there would be local spikes in hospitalisations and deaths after lockdown was lifted, as those areas which were not heavily hit first time around begin to catch up with those areas who were hit heavily (and consequently attained herd immunity, or something close to it).

5 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What I actually said was that it was inevitable there would be local increases in mortality as covid mopped up what it missed on the first go, but that the overall picture wouldn't get close to what we saw earlier in the year.

I'm never going to agree that I was wrong to believe we're over the worst in the UK, because there's been nothing yet to show we're not.

Oh, I’m not sure I agree.  I’m sure you said you’d concede if deaths increased.  I’m too dumb to check.  One of you clever kids will find it. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Or me 

You left out the qualifier "big rise". Because as I proved earlier, I've been saying for months there would be some local spikes (yet another prediction I got right).

If you want some wrong predictions, head back to the first part of the thread, and the claims of a 2-3% death rate and 250,000+ dead in this country.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

You left out the qualifier "big rise". Because as I proved earlier, I've been saying for months there would be some local spikes (yet another prediction I got right).

If you want some wrong predictions, head back to the first part of the thread, and the claims of a 2-3% death rate and 250,000+ dead in this country.

0 - 200 a day is big.  What you can’t do is claim victory when more people are dying of flu for a few weeks then say that 200 isn’t significant. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah show where them claims were made on here. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

0 - 200 a day is big.  What you can’t do is claim victory when more people are dying of flu for a few weeks then say that 200 isn’t significant. 

We were never at 0 a day. And is 150-200 a day really "big" when for more than 3 weeks, we were exceeding 1,000 deaths a day?

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Comparing numbers to each other is now disgusting, folks. We're truly through the looking glass.

“Is 200 really big” 

Just because you don’t want to admit we are in a second wave. 

Disgusting. 

43 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Stronts has been wrong about every single aspect of this thing the from the very start. Everyone knows it yet he’s still going.

It really is an interesting psychological study.

Was just going to say the same. Incredible levels of stubbornness.

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah show where them claims were made on here. 

Here's some of the early claims/predictions about mortality rates and numbers of deaths. Just from the first 15 pages or so of the thread.

On 25/02/2020 at 13:05, dockers_strike said:

Some people say it only has a 3% mortality rate. Oh, so that's ok for all except the unfortunate 3% then.

On 26/02/2020 at 10:38, M_B said:

To put it into perspective, the mortality rate for "Normal flu" is around 0.1% while Coronavirus is somewhere between 1% and 2%.

So using your figures, it would kill between 5 to 10 million people and it could mutate into something worse, which is what Spanish Flu did.

On 28/02/2020 at 11:22, M_B said:

I don't understand why everyone keeps comparing this to flu and dismissing it. Its 10-20 times deadlier than flu, just as contagious and more difficult to stop.

Comparing to flu figures of 15k deaths annually, this could kill anywhere around 250k people in the UK. Is that not something to be concerned about?

From the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/28/coronavirus-truth-myths-flu-covid-19-face-masks?CMP=share_btn_tw

Claim: ‘It is no more dangerous than winter flu’

Many individuals who get coronavirus will experience nothing worse than seasonal flu symptoms, but the overall profile of the disease, including its mortality rate, looks more serious. At the start of an outbreak the apparent mortality rate can be an overestimate if a lot of mild cases are being missed. But this week, a WHO expert suggested that this has not been the case with Covid-19. Bruce Aylward, who led an international mission to China to learn about the virus and the country’s response, said the evidence did not suggest that we were only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If borne out by further testing, this could mean that current estimates of a roughly 1% fatality rate are accurate. This would make Covid-19 about 10 times more deadly than seasonal flu, which is estimated to kill between 290,000 and 650,000 people a year globally.

On 28/02/2020 at 12:21, moof said:

Fatality rate of flu is 0.1. This is 2% and up to 10/15% for certain age groups.

On 28/02/2020 at 13:32, JohnnyH said:

Coronavirus is over 2% mortality rate now with many agencies thinking the figures are fudged downwards and probably closer to 3%. Comparing it to flu is daft. It’s much much more serious than that. 

Fuck me, back in Feb when it was a brand new virus people didn’t know everything about it! 

very disingenuous stronts. Poor form. 

Although, despite knowing more about it, better treatments and massive preventative measures we are at 200 deaths a day.  You can’t have it both ways.