You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Next he'll be telling us a fire blanket works when you have a fire confined to a chip pan, but not when the whole house is ablaze.

Yeah a fire blanket like a lockdown can be helpful if used properly. 

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Next he'll be telling us a fire blanket works when you have a fire confined to a chip pan, but not when the whole house is ablaze.

Except in this case of course, the fire blanket is the equivalent of closing pubs and a full lockdown would be calling out the fire brigade. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

these are the ONS estimates. As of early september. We're not even slightly approaching herd immunity according to this. Although it is a pretty small sample size. This seems really low to me considering over 700k have actually tested positive. I will maybe have a hunt around to see if there is anything on Zoe site for their estimate.  

image.png

FWIW, it was Corona in Queens that showed the 68% antibody results:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/nyregion/nyc-coronavirus-antibodies.html?searchResultPosition=6

The gist of the article seems to be there are a number of macro and micro-effects where immunity levels vary almost by postcode. The same could be true in the UK: I'd wager some of the hardest hit boroughs of London are closer to herd immunity than the leafier suburbs. Immunity also seems most prevalent amongst teenage boys. 

It seems to me the gov.com on he one hand making a half-assed attempt at achieving herd-immunity in the young by keeping schools an colleges open. Whilst doling out paltry lockdown measures for the general populace with the other. It's like watching a five year-old trying to work out how to drive a train. 

There needs to be targeted antibody tests and some clever maths to give a better picture at postcode-level. Working out how this has occurred and factoring it to any future modelling. But gov.com would rather spend billions in emergency money employing the thousands of extra customs officers we'll need to make Brexit happen.... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

@JolyonMaugham 
Just when you thought Government transparency around procurement couldn't get any worse... it did. Matt Hancock is now refusing to name those to whom he is awarding contracts on the grounds... that they would rather not be named.

Ekr2OWLXUAI9A1s?format=png&name=large

Edited with actual detail to protect off shore accounts.

Fuck off you thieving Tory cunts. 

Surely all this stuff about contracts would be available via the freedom of information act ?

2 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Surely all this stuff about contracts would be available via the freedom of information act ?

Yeah for sure but they don't want to engage in a conversation about it. Rees-Mogg was asked about it in parliament last week and he refused to get involved in it and pretty much called the Labour MP disgraceful for bringing it up. 

I hope to god someone in Starmer camp is logging every fucking single one of these cunts actions and I'm talking Jennifer Acuri getting taxpayer money to keep quiet about sucking Johnsons ice-pick dick, Jenrick pocketing bungs to give planning permission to his cunt tory mates, the PPE scandal companies with 100 quid in the bank getting multi-million pound contracts, Hancock lying to the british public literally lying to our fucking faces then swigging wine in the commons after the curfew laughing at us. Everything the whole list and we hit them with it through the courts. I hope every single one of them get lined up in front of parliament and shit then stabbed then eaten by crocodiles then burned the fucking vampire cunts fuck off 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well that's about half a million cases per month. And if you assume there's probably double that who don't know or asymptomatic, let's say a million. If that goes for 6 months that's only 6m people assuming this rate is maintained. And if you assumed the same number caught it in the 1st wave wave, that's only 12m. We probably need about 35-40m to create any type of herd immunity. 

I'm not sure about any numbers to be honest with the amount of people being tested compared to the actual population and then also thinking of so many that will be spreading it each day that either don't know they have it and haven't been tested, or that don't give a shit at all and spread it. I probably shouldn't have used herd immunity in that sense though, but I think some levels of immunity that act to slow it down in places might naturally develop just because of how bad this governemnt is dealing with it.

6 hours ago, cochyn said:

I think you're right. The NYT ran an article a few weeks ago on the results of antibody tests in various boroughs of New York. The area of Brooklyn mostly affected in March-May now demonstrate up 68% of the population tested positive for antibodies, thus achieving herd immunity.  Crucially, it was the people living in these neighbourhoods that had to do the lower-paid essential work over lock-down and had to resort to neighbourhood child care. It was carnage - bodies piling up in refrigerated artics for weeks.

AFAIK, this is the only community in a temperate climate that has come out the other end of Covid with herd immunity in place. Scary.

Yeah that's sickening, like a horror film or something. Not what you'd expect in somewhere like New York in real life, and it's unreal to see how Johnson and Trump carry on like they do after how badly this has all been dealt with.

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I see the mancs have been given till midday tomorrow to sign up to tier 3 or have it imposed. I wonder what Manchester are asking for that we didn't? 

Andy has to be very careful here, with the leaks about full hospital beds in Manchester he may get lined up as a scapegoat going forward.

I applaud him for standing up for his area, but politically I think he’s been naive and it’ll come back to bite him. 

He’s not the only one in Gtr Manchester opposing Tier 3, the mayor of Manchester, council leaders and Tory MPs there have been vocal too for various reasons, but he’s the face of it and any criticism is going to land at his door. 

If they impose Tier 3 I think he’s in for stick whatever happens. Cases come down and they’ll say it was thanks to them imposing it and without him delaying it they would have come down sooner. Cases rise and again they’ll say it’s because he delayed them putting Tier 3 measures in place and he’s to blame. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

Andy has to be very careful here, with the leaks about full hospital beds in Manchester he may get lined up as a scapegoat going forward.

He will. And they know this. But I do also feel he is trying to make a name for himself and I wonder if he's doing it thinking "I'll be alright, we've got the nightingale if we need it". I saw something yesterday where he's shouting about he's not just fighting for Manchester, he's fighting for everyone across the whole UK - it just felt really insincere to me and just politician nonsense. 

11 hours ago, johnsusername said:

I hope Dan Wootton is in a major car crash in which he is the only one to come to any harm.

Harsh? 

Harsh as I wouldn't wish that on anyone but the more I see of him the more I have hate him. Horrible bastard, maybe not a crash but needs a good hiding to take him down a peg or two 

20 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

That doesn't feel like much of a "choice"?

the problem with all of this is it probably shouldn't be a choice i don't think. the criteria to move between levels should be clear (up and down) and the government should be providing a level of support depending what tier you are in, which the councils sign up to if we are going to go down this regional lockdown policy. then there's no debate other than should you be in that tier - and if the criteria is clear, there is pretty much no debate. i don't really understand why this isn't the positions of all local authorities. As we've seen in the north west, this is relevant to tory and labour councils alike. 

Also, I think Burnham is currently making his position difficult while trying to argue that he believes they don't need a tier 3 lockdown, but he'd do it if the money was right. take a position. the whole fucking thing is a mess everywhere. it's really easy to think "good for him standing up to the tories", but I don't believe he is doing this for manchester, i think he's doing it to boost his image, he wants the fight. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Oh look at Dan Wooton suddenly wanting to 'no platform' someone else.  Wooton is a fucking imbecile and needs breaking in half. 

He's a fucking horrible cunt. 

• Upvote 1