You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Champ said:

There seems to be some evidence that these current variants can escape the test.

(Can’t remember where) I read that if you have a sore throat and other typical symptoms you should assume it’s Covid 

I read something similar somewhere myself.

All the symptoms pointed to Covid. I personally think she hadn't been testing properly or had been glossing over the truth tbh but she's much better now thankfully. 

She's a bit of a nightmare my mum. She'll ring up for help/advice and then completely ignore what you say and do her own thing leaving us to pick up the pieces.

One of these days things might not be fixable and I'm dreading that 

14 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Have you run out of rectum shaped objects?

Get well soon, mate. 

They don't have to be rectum shaped, I managed to get the car that Danny died in from Grange Hill up there last week.

Cheers, my annual leave starts on Tuesday night so praying I'm clear by then.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

I think you're supposed to stay away from anyone you don't know as well, in fact strangers probably pose more of a risk.

Congrats on the Super-Rona though!!!

I've been stuck in a flat myself for 13 days now with the odd trip to get food or more tests (keeping my distance & wearing a mask).

35 minutes ago, Mook said:

I've been stuck in a flat myself for 13 days now with the odd trip to get food or more tests (keeping my distance & wearing a mask).

Mate did you not get the memo? Covid was OVER two winters ago! Get out there, shoulders back and go and smash it! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

That's pure pish. Weird that you're still coming up positive but it may be that you're not actually Infectious? I'm no expert but if you're feeling well then I think you can move around freely. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/rapid-covid-test-still-positive-after-5-days-you-may-not-be-contagious-study-suggests/ar-AA10gyhJ

15 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

That's pure pish. Weird that you're still coming up positive but it may be that you're not actually Infectious? I'm no expert but if you're feeling well then I think you can move around freely. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/rapid-covid-test-still-positive-after-5-days-you-may-not-be-contagious-study-suggests/ar-AA10gyhJ

Aye, I've said to the missus I'm coming round to see the kids tomorrow, even if I have to take them out for a picnic or something. Surely it can't still be infectious after 13 days.

I still feel a bit weird, really fatigued when I go for a walk, getting the sweats on for no apparent reason and there's a horrible taste in my mouth.

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

Aye, I've said to the missus I'm coming round to see the kids tomorrow, even if I have to take them out for a picnic or something. Surely it can't still be infectious after 13 days.

I still feel a bit weird, really fatigued when I go for a walk, getting the sweats on for no apparent reason and there's a horrible taste in my mouth.

You'll have that fatigue for at least a month. I hadn't the energy to walk more than 1km after having it. Get some lucozade sport into you if you can stomach it. 

23 hours ago, Mook said:

That's me on day 12 now, 14 days since I've seen anyone I know. At what point do I fuck these tests off and get on with my life?

20220805_093045.jpg

Now. Think I've had it for over a week. Didn't do a test, don't see the point in it now. Thought the opinion now was no need to isolate?

Had 4 jabs now so my life's my own.

20 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

"we estimate that lockdowns may claim 20 times more life years than they save."

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/19/15/9295/htm

It always baffles me when people read these papers and cherry-pick either the author's interpretation or opinion without looking at the full paper. 

I mean, this is a direct quote from the discussion part: "Many factors could contribute to the lack of lockdowns’ effectiveness; consideration of these factors lies far beyond the scope of this paper. We just mention the mechanism of aerosol transmission [46] and the low percolation threshold for contagion in the modern densely interconnected society" 

It's bold to say that lockdowns claim more lives when you're not looking at the factors contributing to it from a variety of countries. Did NY follow the UK's process? Did Spain's government do what the fuck they wanted and expected their population to follow the rules whilst they didn't? There were many factors that undermined the pandemic which may have resulted in more lives lost. 

It's always worth jumping to the study 'limitations' section to see how thorough their claims are: 

"Our study is not free from limitations. The main limitation probably is that our resources did not enable performing a systematic literature review. Another important limitation stems from the probable bias in publications [56] mentioned above. Moreover, our study was based mainly on democratic countries with higher transparency. We anticipate that these issues will be addressed in detail by many future researchers. In addition, as time elapses, we anticipate long-term (hopefully lifespan) studies of the effects of both COVID-19 disease and lockdowns."

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah that’s the kind of shit that divides people . 

Don't shoot the messenger, mate. It's not about dividing people it's about questioning all sides of the story, that's what real science is all about. It's right and proper that these type of studies are done and questions asked, especially the impact of lockdowns on mental health, relationships and indeed suicide rates. It's not right that only one myopic point of view is pushed. 

4 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Don't shoot the messenger, mate. It's not about dividing people it's about questioning all sides of the story, that's what real science is all about. It's right and proper that these type of studies are done and questions asked, especially the impact of lockdowns on mental health, relationships and indeed suicide rates. It's not right that only one myopic point of view is pushed. 

It’s fine to discuss but the reality is that people were dying in their hundreds and even thousands a day in the UK and without lockdowns the virus would have killed even more than the 185 thousand who died (a 185 thousand who certain people seem to forget) 

Its not a blame game it was a necessary measure to slow down a virus that nobody really knew what the fuck it was capable of. Ideal? Absolutely not. My mental health was effected, my mums death was effected in how much we could see her and each other when going through absolute hell. I’m just sick of people thinking they are some sort of expert and pointing the finger when the only bastard we should hate is the virus that killed millions worldwide. 

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It’s fine to discuss but the reality is that people were dying in their hundreds and even thousands a day in the UK and without lockdowns the virus would have killed even more than the 185 thousand who died (a 185 thousand who certain people seem to forget) 

I don't think anyone is dismissing the large number of UK deaths, that's down to the Tories more than any public health measures IMO. We can never say for certain how any more people the virus would have killed if there were no lockdowns, just as we can never say how many more people would have survived in Sweden which didn't have any lockdowns for example.

That article I posted is the type of investigation that is absolutely essential to understanding the pros and cons of government mandated lockdowns. It is essential that all sides of a situation are observed, measured and fully understood. 

27 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I don't think anyone is dismissing the large number of UK deaths, that's down to the Tories more than any public health measures IMO. We can never say for certain how any more people the virus would have killed if there were no lockdowns, just as we can never say how many more people would have survived in Sweden which didn't have any lockdowns for example.

That article I posted is the type of investigation that is absolutely essential to understanding the pros and cons of government mandated lockdowns. It is essential that all sides of a situation are observed, measured and fully understood. 

It wasn’t down to the tories. It was down to the virus. That’s my point. Trust me I’d blame the tories for just about anything but the pandemic (not their pocket dipping that’s a different issue) wasn’t their fault. If anything they locked down too slow. 

Go and speak to someone who has lost loved ones to covid and tell them we shouldn’t have locked down. 

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The idea you have to give equal weight to every crackpot idea in the interest of balance is a massive risk.

No, there absolutely has to be a plan to help people who have suffered because of the lockdowns. Absolutely. The angle however seems to be pointing a finger at lockdowns. They were necessary regardless of what any crayon degree motherfucker says. It was a horrible time (still is but not as bad due to the vaccine) and hard decisions had to be made. But obedient Jim going without his daily pint of mild and perv at the barmaids tits over potentially thousands more deaths isn’t really a fucking talking point.  

18 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It wasn’t down to the tories. It was down to the virus. That’s my point. Trust me I’d blame the tories for just about anything but the pandemic (not their pocket dipping that’s a different issue) wasn’t their fault. If anything they locked down too slow. 

Go and speak to someone who has lost loved ones to covid and tell them we shouldn’t have locked down. 

I lost an uncle and an aunt. Lockdown didn't save them.

I posted in this very thread when my uncle died of it. 

My neighbour lost a son to suicide because of lockdown.

So lockdowns are only good. Sound. 

Incidentally here's an article from well known fake news site CNN. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/25/health/teen-suicide-increase-pandemic-study-wellness/index.html

My point is once again we ABSOLUTELY need to look at all sides and investigate all the pros and cons. If we don't then it's lunacy.