You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

We have 4.000 infected (out of 53.000) on the faroe islands now and not one corona patient in the hospital, i think they say everyone has omicron variant. The government says that unless something drastic happens the next month corona will be classed as a normal flue and they stop testing for it and all restrictions will be canceled. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Strontium said:

Some stiff competition here, but with less than 6 hours remaining it's currently leading the 'Dumbest Take of the Day' race. Can it be beaten?

Mine or yours?

9 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

We tax these things already and as a consequence both alcohol and cigarettes are self funding. We've more to worry about with the strain on the NHS of things that are under prohibition, yet contribute nothing to the the revenue in either regular business and personal taxes or addition duty we get from things such as cigarettes and alcohol. 

Taxing them doesn’t make them self funding, just means they are taxed. Anyone know if the tax on these products are covering the estimated problems coming from them? I know in Denmark it doesn’t cover it, neither does it cover it in Ireland, but no idea in the UK. 

Daughter tested positive on a lateral flow and got a temperature and my wife has got a bad cough but she’s testing negative.

First time any of us have tested positive though I think I might have had it back in February 2020 when you couldn’t easily get a test. 

I haven’t got any symptoms so far. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, DJLJ said:

Taxing them doesn’t make them self funding, just means they are taxed. Anyone know if the tax on these products are covering the estimated problems coming from them? I know in Denmark it doesn’t cover it, neither does it cover it in Ireland, but no idea in the UK. 

How much Arsehole Tax will you be paying, mate?  I'd imagine it'll be a fair whack. 

14 hours ago, Strontium said:

No, I called them fascist for seriously curbing freedom. That's only dumb if you're opposed to freedom.

I've not been keeping a close eye on any drift towards authoritarianism on the other side of the world, because, y'know, waves hand in the general direction of Westminster

What have the Arden junta been up to?

On 23/01/2022 at 00:37, Geoff Woade said:

Finally struck down after 2 years. Very strange as I’ve had it for a few days now as per the tests but felt much better the whole time than in the preceding weeks (sick but testing negative). In fairness I’d hedged my bets by getting triple jabbed and also banging down the horse paste. 
I feel very lucky, girlfriend had it a couple of weeks ago and she is an absolute trooper but got smashed to bits by it so I’ve seen the damage it can do.

My daughter in law has finally got it and she’s been so careful. So far just a sore throat and headache though thankfully.

12 hours ago, DJLJ said:

People cheat the figures whichever way they want to. Recently some minister was claiming the cost of smoking or drinking to the NHS was more than our annual gdp. However, before the world went mad and we could approximately trust figures, in this country duty on booze and cigarettes more than paid for its impact on the NHS. Equally petrol duties and road tax more than pay for the roads. 

Edit... Tobacco and alcohol duty raise £20bn per year. That's not including any economic benefit and taxes of hospitality etc, this is purely the duty and not even the VAT.  

17 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

People cheat the figures whichever way they want to. Recently some minister was claiming the cost of smoking or drinking to the NHS was more than our annual gdp. However, before the world went mad and we could approximately trust figures, in this country duty on booze and cigarettes more than paid for its impact on the NHS. Equally petrol duties and road tax more than pay for the roads. 

Edit... Tobacco and alcohol duty raise £20bn per year. That's not including any economic benefit and taxes of hospitality etc, this is purely the duty and not even the VAT.  

More and more the narrative around the NHS, and this comes from the NHS and politicians, is that it's doing you a favour and you're a pain in the arse for being a burden on it.

Stop being fat, stop being old, stop being diabetic, don't come to A&E unless you've been harpooned through the balls, don't contact the GP as they're extremely busy. 

It's bollocks and it grinds my gears. 

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

More and more the narrative around the NHS, and this comes from the NHS and politicians, is that it's doing you a favour and you're a pain in the arse for being a burden on it.

Stop being fat, stop being old, stop being diabetic, don't come to A&E unless you've been harpooned through the balls, don't contact the GP as they're extremely busy. 

Yeah and Dr Jenny Harries will then come on the telly and say "the NHS is open for business, do remember that". 

In reality, it's "get fucked, we're busy and your biopsy must wait". 

46 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Remember the slogan throughout the pandemic was "Protect the NHS".

I'd sooner protect people myself, like.

10 hours ago, Strontium said:

Remember the slogan throughout the pandemic was "Protect the NHS".

I'd sooner protect people myself, like.

7 hours ago, Strontium said:

I'm in favour of measures that are proven to protect people.

"Facists" for banning kids from smoking. 

Roll up roll up for the greatest hypocrite on Earth