You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think it’s becoming clear that Omicron is not that big a threat, certainly not big enough to imprison an entire nation. It’s utter madness and I’m amazed that people are putting up with it.

They’re not, majority of people who eulogise her don’t even seem to live in New Zealand. She is used like everything else as some sort of political football between the left and right. Her popularity is on the wane in the actual country and this won’t help.

• Upvote 1

The NZ question is interesting because while having a zero Covid approach makes sense when you've got no vaccines, treatments or when the stain is more lethal, with something like Omicron surely you're just kicking the can down the road, because cases will eventually drop here once so many people have had it and have antibodies.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The NZ question is interesting because while having a zero Covid approach makes sense when you've got no vaccines, treatments or when the stain is more lethal, with something like Omicron surely you're just kicking the can down the road, because cases will eventually drop here once so many people have had it and have antibodies.

Have they vaccinated people to an adequate level? I guess that plays a big part here. If the nation is mostly triple vaxxed, surely you need to get on with it - but otherwise kicking the can down the road is maybe still essential? 

One of the things I'm unclear about with Omicron is if it is a major killer. I know people are dying from it, but how many of them are people who are double and triple vaxxed? 

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Have they vaccinated people to an adequate level? I guess that plays a big part here. If the nation is mostly triple vaxxed, surely you need to get on with it - but otherwise kicking the can down the road is maybe still essential? 

One of the things I'm unclear about with Omicron is if it is a major killer. I know people are dying from it, but how many of them are people who are double and triple vaxxed? 

While I don't trust our government in the slightest, the fact the Welsh have dropped their restrictions makes me think there must be something relatively reassuring in the numbers, like you though I agree it's hard to trust anyone's figures. 

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

While I don't trust our government in the slightest, the fact the Welsh have dropped their restrictions makes me think there must be something relatively reassuring in the numbers, like you though I agree it's hard to trust anyone's figures. 

And we're heading towards most vaccinated people being triple vaxxed. So perhaps there's evidence that with triple, we can relax things..I don't know the numbers in NZ, but maybe they're not as far ahead on that curve as we are?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

NZ placing the country under the highest level of restrictions because of 9 cases of Omicron. Madness

New Zealand's slide towards fascism isn't limited to covid, they're banning smoking too. Really dark days there. Goodness knows what is coming next.

I think that unless you're advocating doing away with self-isolation the NZ approach is still correct at the moment. If cases run wild there, however mild, self-isolation would surely bring services and the economy in New Zealand to it's knees.

4 hours ago, Strontium said:

New Zealand's slide towards fascism isn't limited to covid, they're banning smoking too. Really dark days there. Goodness knows what is coming next.

I think banning smoking is #2 on the fascist tick list.  Definitely on the way.   No doubt they’ll be organising firing squads by Friday.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Strontium said:

First they came for the twats who are ambivalent about killing their grannies; but I wasn't a person who is ambivalent about killing grannies, so I did nothing.

Then they came for the fans of lung and throat cancer; but I wasn't a fan of lung and throat cancer, so I did nothing.

Banning smoking is contentious, but at some point perhaps it is one of those things that atleast needs discussing. Or simply price it out of the market, put a tax of £30 on each cigarette or something. Smokers are putting a significant strain on healthcare etc and proportionally is putting more strain on healthcare than many other things we do. Same thing for alcohol and sugar etc. Life will be more bland, but we do need a discussion about it, without some moron starting to put fascism into the same frame. 

6 hours ago, Strontium said:

They'll be banning rape and murder next

29 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Some stiff competition here, but with less than 6 hours remaining it's currently leading the 'Dumbest Take of the Day' race. Can it be beaten?

It's up against not letting kids smoke is fascism so perhaps not the one horse race we think.

1 hour ago, DJLJ said:

Banning smoking is contentious, but at some point perhaps it is one of those things that atleast needs discussing. Or simply price it out of the market, put a tax of £30 on each cigarette or something. Smokers are putting a significant strain on healthcare etc and proportionally is putting more strain on healthcare than many other things we do. Same thing for alcohol and sugar etc. Life will be more bland, but we do need a discussion about it, without some moron starting to put fascism into the same frame. 

We tax these things already and as a consequence both alcohol and cigarettes are self funding. We've more to worry about with the strain on the NHS of things that are under prohibition, yet contribute nothing to the the revenue in either regular business and personal taxes or addition duty we get from things such as cigarettes and alcohol.