You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Just read another sad story of an 43 year old 'staunch' anti vaxxer who died in hossie in an induced coma while on oxygen. Had told his doctors he wished he'd had the vaccine.

Sad story no doubt, but stories like these seem to be reported to support a certain agenda. It's not like the vaccine is a guarantee against death, especially going by the figures.

11 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

This variant is starting to look more and more promising. Less hospitalisation, less ICU, less ventilators and less death. Obviously it would be better if we could put 'no' where 'less' is, but this is a huge reduction in the collateral damage of getting to herd immunity. 

Thinking of a post-pandemic world is so exciting.

I hope so, but I've seen too many Evertonians in August to go overboard with the early optimism just yet.

On 05/12/2021 at 18:17, Pureblood said:

No, not at all.  I've taken a great deal of time to listen to Chris Whitty and did a big essay on him, it took about twelve hours.

Comedy gold.

He must be incompetent, because (despite a total lack of any medical training or fitness to judge his competence) I spent 12 hours writing "All slides and no horse paste makes Chris an incompetent boy".

The prosecution rests, m'lud.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Comedy gold.

He must be incompetent, because (despite a total lack of any medical training or fitness to judge his competence) I spent 12 hours writing "All slides and no horse paste makes Chris an incompetent boy".

The prosecution rests, m'lud.

I'm still waiting to see this essay.

There is no bottom in this modern world.

US drugmaker Pfizer, the world’s dominant Covid vaccine maker, has been accused of funding educational presentations that said its UK rival AstraZeneca was ineffective and even dangerous for some members of the population.

A Channel 4 Dispatches investigation due to be broadcast this week says it has “uncovered evidence” that Pfizer funded a number of educational presentations that were delivered to health professionals across Canada about its mRNA vaccine

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There is no bottom in this modern world.

US drugmaker Pfizer, the world’s dominant Covid vaccine maker, has been accused of funding educational presentations that said its UK rival AstraZeneca was ineffective and even dangerous for some members of the population.

A Channel 4 Dispatches investigation due to be broadcast this week says it has “uncovered evidence” that Pfizer funded a number of educational presentations that were delivered to health professionals across Canada about its mRNA vaccine

It's interesting, I think it's pretty widely accepted that Pfizer is a more effective 2 jab vaccine.  And there's no doubt most countries are not willing to use the AZ vaccine on younger sections of the community. But when I got my booster, i got a Pfizer on the back of double AZ. I was chatting with the doctor who by chance was part of one of the booster trials and she told me by some considerable way, this combination gave the best immunity. Then there was a report recently saying getting this combo gave 25x improvement in immune reaction compared with 8x all Pfizer (but Pfizer starts at a slightly higher base). Then at the weekend I was listening to someone on 5live (I don't know who it was, but it was a government scientist). They were saying they're starting to believe that perhaps this is a 3 jab vaccine. Boosters will then only be required for for variants. He was saying the immune reaction is not only really high in the double AZ, single Pfizer combo but it also doesn't seem to diminish at the rate the initial double jab did - which is why we've gone down the 3 jabs for everyone route, it's not a booster, they just believe it needs to be 3 jabs for everyone for the vaccine to be "complete" (he didn't use that word) to be most effective for a long period. 

So I think this creates a difficult choice for governments and their medical advisors (and kind of relates to your post). AZ+Pfizer seems to be the most potent, yet there is a genuine fear of AZ (which I don't know if that is routed in science and stats or Pfizer marketing material) - but perhaps the gain of this combination is so great, it may be the best way out of this pandemic. Also with the low cost of the AZ vaccine might also enable poorer countries to be as immune as the rest of us. 

I'm friends on Facebook with the woman we bought our dog from. Thought it was a nice idea so she could see pictures of the dog growing up.

She's 43 and in intensive care with it now, non vaccinated.

My brother in laws best mate is on a covid ward. He's double vaccinated but is classed as extremely vulnerable due to having a kidney transplant. Really praying he's OK he's been like family to my sisters family. He was in pub before Everton game when he took ill and this meant my 16 year old nephew ended up sitting with random reds til his dad drove up after work

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I'm friends on Facebook with the woman we bought our dog from. Thought it was a nice idea so she could see pictures of the dog growing up.

She's 43 and in intensive care with it now, non vaccinated.

My brother in laws best mate is on a covid ward. He's double vaccinated but is classed as extremely vulnerable due to having a kidney transplant. Really praying he's OK he's been like family to my sisters family. He was in pub before Everton game when he took ill and this meant my 16 year old nephew ended up sitting with random reds til his dad drove up after work

It just blows my mind how it impacts people differently, there's been amateur athletes at death's door with it yet I know someone with cystic fibrosis and me mate's mum who was in her 90s who both had mild symptoms. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's interesting, I think it's pretty widely accepted that Pfizer is a more effective 2 jab vaccine.  And there's no doubt most countries are not willing to use the AZ vaccine on younger sections of the community. But when I got my booster, i got a Pfizer on the back of double AZ. I was chatting with the doctor who by chance was part of one of the booster trials and she told me by some considerable way, this combination gave the best immunity. Then there was a report recently saying getting this combo gave 25x improvement in immune reaction compared with 8x all Pfizer (but Pfizer starts at a slightly higher base). Then at the weekend I was listening to someone on 5live (I don't know who it was, but it was a government scientist). They were saying they're starting to believe that perhaps this is a 3 jab vaccine. Boosters will then only be required for for variants. He was saying the immune reaction is not only really high in the double AZ, single Pfizer combo but it also doesn't seem to diminish at the rate the initial double jab did - which is why we've gone down the 3 jabs for everyone route, it's not a booster, they just believe it needs to be 3 jabs for everyone for the vaccine to be "complete" (he didn't use that word) to be most effective for a long period. 

So I think this creates a difficult choice for governments and their medical advisors (and kind of relates to your post). AZ+Pfizer seems to be the most potent, yet there is a genuine fear of AZ (which I don't know if that is routed in science and stats or Pfizer marketing material) - but perhaps the gain of this combination is so great, it may be the best way out of this pandemic. Also with the low cost of the AZ vaccine might also enable poorer countries to be as immune as the rest of us. 

Did he mention AZ + Moderna as an alternative? 

33 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It just blows my mind how it impacts people differently, there's been amateur athletes at death's door with it yet I know someone with cystic fibrosis and me mate's mum who was in her 90s who both had mild symptoms

That’s not far what my missus has had. Tiredness has been the main thing from with a bunged up nose fortunately. 

54 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It just blows my mind how it impacts people differently, there's been amateur athletes at death's door with it yet I know someone with cystic fibrosis and me mate's mum who was in her 90s who both had mild symptoms. 

My mate sent me a voice message on whatsapp about a week ago. He started "My gran's had covid..."

She's 102 in January.

I was thinking about the significance of "has had" versus "had" and wondering if there was any chance she was actually still alive.

The arl bag had the sniffles for about three days. I'm genuinely in the middle of a worse cold.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

My mate sent me a voice message on whatsapp about a week ago. He started "My gran's had covid..."

She's 102 in January.

I was thinking about the significance of "has had" versus "had" and wondering if there was any chance she was actually still alive.

The arl bag had the sniffles for about three days. I'm genuinely in the middle of a worse cold.

This doesn't happen with the flu does it? You can't 'have the flu' and not know it, or can you? 

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This doesn't happen with the flu does it? You can't 'have the flu' and not know it, or can you? 

Apparently you can be asymptomatic with flu. Everyday is a learning. So all these years where I've never had flu, I could have had it but not known. Even with Covid, at worst all I had was a runny nose for a day or 2.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Apparently you can be asymptomatic with flu. Everyday is a learning. So all these years where I've never had flu, I could have had it but not known. Even with Covid, at worst all I had was a runny nose for a day or 2.

Re flu this must be the case with me. I assumed I'd never had it.

My missus had flu pretty badly a few years ago. She was wiped out for about three weeks. At the time I just guessed I was really lucky not to get it from her, but maybe I did just without any symptoms.

42 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Yeah (touch wood) I don't get viruses very often, last one was about 10 years ago, Mrs gets colds all the time, at least four or five times a year. I put it down to my extremely hairy nose. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah (touch wood) I don't get viruses very often, last one was about 10 years ago, Mrs gets colds all the time, at least four or five times a year. I put it down to my extremely hairy nose. 

(New York cop voice): 'Yo Mahoney -  take your hand off your johnson.' 

• Upvote 2